• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Long Journey Home

J. D. Tsuba

First Post
OOC: Sorry guys, I fear this trend may continue for a week or two more, I shall try to get on whenever I can, but no promises :-(
in the meantime, struggle on the best you can without my awesome personality

after a while, the prodding from alexsandra is enough to pull J.D. out of his stupor, getting up he plugs a few wires into the conference rooms computer systems still half asleep, and a holographic projection appears above the center of the table, showing all three planets as well as a few private notes J.D. has added for posterity.

I apologize for my lack of consciousness earlier, I fear our recent activities have forced my narcolepsy to resurface. If I am unconscious again please just put me in a comfortable position and leave a note on my chest if you want to talk to me, I will get back to you as and when I awake.

As for our meeting topic I would also be in favour of the probes (think: possibly the first thing me and my Cap'n agree on)
and would, on initial review think the Pangaea planet to be the best option.
I don't believe the radio transmitting planet will give us any cause to worry, from their limited range of frequency output and what we already know of the local space-faring races, I believe it may hold a race of equal technological advancement as our own planet in the mid 1900's. This however raises its own ethical questions, on whether we should be meddling with inferior races.

that all being said, J.D skips back to the secondary topic for discussion brought up earlier.

I have to say from what I have heard of your 'meeting' with okado and Karen, I am disappointed in your reaction to new forms of consciousness. I assumed your reactions would be along these lines, seeing as you are all primarily soldiers, but I have to protest on their behalf, is dissection really necessary? Its bad enough our first impression was so bad, but to take prisoners and dissect them, it is unlikely we will make any friends at all this way.

letting the conversation take a new direction, J.D steps aside from the table and quietly ushers Mikhail to a corner

Mikhail, I would like a chance to have a closer look at the prisoner you managed to salvage, I would be very interested to find out all you have accomplished so far and maybe do a brief diagnosis myself.

Mikhail Zhukov

First Post
Turning to Ghost.

I am afraid you are missing the point of being a recon squad captain. We go to places because they ARE potentially dangerous, because unlike the ship we are expendable. If the place holds any danger to the wanderer it is our job to find out about it, no matter what we have to go through to do so. Besides if they have the tech to actually threaten the wanderer then they will know about us as soon as we enter the system.

Turning back to the room.

My vote will be for the radio planet. Water and food we have a large supply of. Information is what we are lacking. While I agree that we should not interfere with the locals, aren't we meant to be discreet anyway.

Answering Tsuba

I am afraid the cube is in the middle of an .... experiment, which I was conducting before being called here. As soon as it is done you cane have a chat with him.

Ray_Ray

First Post
"How do you know what level of technological development it is at?" Rey said with a soft smile, perking up as she smiled happily "Also what have you been doing in the lab of not dissecting the corpses of their ships, scientists in laboratories should not throw stones... you might damage the lab equipment?"

"I believe you might be onto something Miss Zhukov, we may not be able to keep up with it but tracking it will be useful... perhaps we could actually have a decent conversation with it"

"As for the planet, while the ice planet is interesting unless it has buried technology I doubt we need water as it stands, similarly the Pangaea planet would have plentiful food and interesting fauna to study... but what sort of tools will we find there... why Captain Ghost do you believe the radio planet is a threat? Have they shown us any hostility? Technology of any kind means manufacturing capabilities which we can use to outfit our ship and improve our ability to explore and resupply from the other planets"

Ray Ray

First Post
"DINOSAURS?!?!" He exclaimed,then clamped his hand over his mouth. If they had the chance to meet real live 'dangerous dinosaur like beings' he was all for it... For the next few minutes he imagined riding a triceratops into the heat of battle guns blazing, till Rey spoke, then he decided to change his mind somewhat abruptly.

"...Yeah. What she said. My thoughts exactly."

'Ghost'

First Post
Turning to Mikhail

I do know what recon is, I've been doing it long enough. I don't see the need to put ourselves in excessive danger if an opportunity elsewhere can provide just as much a benefit. It's my job to assess risk and determine a course of action which has the greatest chance of success, and that includes not getting us killed. The Pangaea planet offers perfect opportunity for mining, as well as being easily defensible, not to mention the lack of firearms which gives us the unprecedented advantage.

Turning to Rey

I don't know what level of tech they currently have. If it is the robot's world then I can't even begin to estimate their numbers. There was enough on those two vessels we fought to wipe us out, had it not been for the intervention of the hunters we would not be standing here. Though if what private Tsuba says is true then it won't be the robots planet. But manufacturing means weapons of war, and if they have artillery or anti-air then we will quickly get overwhelmed. You misunderstand, I'm not saying we won't try but without further detail we have no idea what type of threat there is and I always assume the worst until proven otherwise, we don't know if they have or havn't shown hostility yet. Tell me private can you prove to me that they havn't made an aggressive move towards us? The scouting droid should give us a better ;picture of what type of surface defenses they have, then we can plan accordingly to avoid them

J. D. Tsuba

First Post
answering....one of the twins:
I do not 'know' the level of technological advancement, I am simply using my intelligence and what we already know to deduce the most likely possible outcome. As for my time in the Lab, I was merely taking apart its armour, like you would take off clothes, I would NEVER without due cause hurt another life-form, no-matter how alien it is to me.

answering mikhail
What sort of information do you think we can gather from a species that is still stuck on its own planet? if we are lucky they might know about they're own star system, but the likelyhood of the knowing anything enough to help us is extremely rare. If they have had run ins with the robots, then they would not be here anymore, the scavengers would have picked them clean.

and ghost:
I'm glad we agree, we do not need to put ourselves at risk if there is an easier opportunity for resources.

OOC: So as a quick tally:
Pangaea
Ghost
Tsuba

Radio
Rey
Ray
Mikhail

IceIceBaby
nobody, its too cold

Mikhail Zhukov

First Post
Answering to Ghost.

First of all we don't know if there is anything to mine there. Secondly even if we do we have no manufacturing capabilities on the ship to deal with unprocessed ore. Thirdly simple lack of radio signals does not mean absence of tech, they could use other means of communication or simply be in radio silence. Fourthly how is heavy jungle, with no clear lines of sight, more defensive for a force that mostly relies on long range engagement. Fifthly if the radio planet is really a threat then they could just attack the wanderer directly while we are sit planet side with our pants down. It could be a threat and there for we need to know for sure! Recon does not just ignore places cos they are too scary! And assumptions like that get people killed!

Turning to Tsuba.

And what are you basing it on? The lack of background noise? It could be an outpost, a colony, a forward base, or they could use other means for long range communication, even if their radio technology is similar to earth's 1900 century doesn't mean that so are their advancement in other fields. And in either case they would still definitely know more then the bloody dinosaurs. Also results of the testing with the cube suggest that your assumption as to their fate in case of an encounter with the scavengers is most likely incorrect.

Aleksandra turned to the twin she believed to be the sister. "At this stage my main goal is to track them so that we can study them, our most lacking resource right now is information, everything else can wait. We can't even begin to think about diplomacy until we understand them better as a species."

She then turned to address the room. "In the interests of information I think that the radio planet is likely to be the most rich in information, of any kind. If we assume that Dr Tsuba is correct and this planet houses a sentient race that has a technological development cycle much like our own then they should have accurate star charts of the area and that could be invaluable to assessing our exact location." She tuned to look more directly at Tsuba.

"Though I think it more likely that this is a toaster outpost and is therefore a potential source of information on our biggest opposing threat at the moment. Furthermore should this be the case then this planet represents a high risk to the wanderer and our duty as recon would be to assess the level of threat so we can have a response if it indeed manifests."

She turned the to address the room once more. "I agree with Private Mourisette's assessment of the planets as it stands though I'd like to add that the Pangea planet as far as the intel shows would be primarily a good source of plant life both as potential food and potential oxygen producers and the ice planet while not supporting life on the surface may prove to be like the moon Europa and could have life at it's core if the ice is covering an expanse of liquid over a hot planet core." She straitened up clearly dismissing such thoughts.

"Regardless however these two planets would be good for bolstering our food, water and oxygen supplies which are still fairly abundant. Information on our current situation is our most pressing requirement so we should investigate the radio signal."

J. D. Tsuba

First Post
To Mikhail:
To put it simply, from any perspective or background, scientific advancement progresses relatively linearly with EM output. The more wavelengths utilized and broadcast, the more advanced a civilization is. if they were an outpost or colony or any branch of an advanced species, they would be using all available technology. Put it this way, If you put an outpost on one of these planets, would you limit them to just radio frequencies? Knowing more than dinosaurs is a given, but that says nothing for the usefulness of its intel.
turning to aleksandra:
Even local star maps are nothing we can't put together ourselves quick enough.
back to mikhail:
regarding your experiments with the cube, what results have you obtained that lead you to believe my assumption is wrong then? I am not questioning your results of course, I am merely curious to know what makes you think differently.

And to the whole room again:
Surely are we not going to send drones to each of the planets to get a better idea of every one of them? In which case, why are we arguing about which to recon?

Ray_Ray

First Post
"How do you know their armor is not similar to skin for them? If they are machines why can you assume that what you have all ready done is similar to dissecting them? Also life form is a little broad term, these machines might not follow the seven characteristics of life so does that mean you will break your oaths for them? Private Tsuba I would also ask that you do not consider being a soldier an insult, I would point out that you are not here as a scientist and if you truly believe that being a soldier is so abhorrent perhaps you should reconsider your position" she paused and raised a brow "Also what is this talk about dissection anyway? I merely was considering the tactical possibilities of feeding it combat data, I don't believe anyone on the bridge wanted to harm the AI"

She turned to ghost "If they are a danger to us surely they can be a danger to the wanderer, or at least a potential ally another great smile crossed her features "Tactically the defense of a jungle planet causes problems, primarily because of the line of fire of our weapons, we cannot leverage our advantage of ranged firepower... also who is to say that this planet does not have a type of technology we merely cannot comprehend, biological based perhaps?"

"Either way perhaps we should wait for the recon drones to come back with more information before making a final decision"

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads