[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

That has nothing to do with the show. Why would it hurt the show for them to be there? And, no, it would not be like that, but even if it was, it could still be a good show.

Maybe adding them would be great, but saying they can't be there because a fictional history would be different? Not sure how that necessarily makes it a bad show.

I am guessing you are not a fan of the books or you would not be asking this question.

Rune

Once A Fool
The other thing is that some of the hands, based on the sizes of the things they're holding, are decidedly hobbity. When hobbits, likewise, didn't play that much of a part of things during the Second Age, if at all.
The difference is that we know Rohan didn’t exist yet. But all we know about the hobbits during the second age is that no one knew about hobbits. At least no one writing histories, anyway.

Rune

Once A Fool
Because this is set in the 2nd Age, before Numenor was even sunk, and there were no Hobbits in any of the lands that Gondor will eventually control, just like there is no Rohirrim until about the middle of the 3rd Age. They do not belong and would ruin the entertainment factor for anyone who knows Middle-Earth. Having them show up there would be like having Crusaders or Nazis show up when the Great Wall is being built or showing up with the Wise Men to visit the baby Jesus. Plus I do not think the Tolkien Estate would let any company contradict the writings like that.
If it is your assertion that hobbits did not exist at all during the second age, I find that extrordinarily unlikely, as all of the other peoples of Middle Earth came along in the first age or earlier. Even the spiders.

What we can probably assume from their absence in the texts is that the elves didn’t know about them (since all of the histories we have are elvish in origin). What the dwarves might have known about them, or the Men who came out of the East, we can only guess.

And frankly, I’m not even sure we can conclude that the elves didn’t know about them, after all, since the elvish histories pretty much only highlight notable events and figures.

And one of the defining characteristics of hobbits is that they are not notable.

If it is your assertion that hobbits did not exist at all during the second age, I find that extrordinarily unlikely, as all of the other peoples of Middle Earth came along in the first age or earlier. Even the spiders.

What we can probably assume from their absence in the texts is that the elves didn’t know about them (since all of the histories we have are elvish in origin). What the dwarves might have known about them, or the Men who came out of the East, we can only guess.

And frankly, I’m not even sure we can conclude that the elves didn’t know about them, after all, since the elvish histories pretty much only highlight notable events and figures.

And one of the defining characteristics of hobbits is that they are not notable.

The Shire was founded in about TA 1600 and the hobbits traveled out of the east to get there. So no, no hobbits in any of the lands Numenor would have explored/colonized/conquered in the Second Age. A little of their pre-Shire history is in The One Ring books and probably should be considered canon, as none of those books were released without first getting Tolkien Estate approval.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Alright, for everyone who does not want to troll through Twitter or Facebook to see the posters, this article has all 23 of them. Most are human, with a few elves and dwarves, plus a couple that could be children or a sad attempt to somehow shove Hobbits into the series, when they were not around for the 2nd Age.

Hobbits as such, no. But the river folk were possibly around and building a culture that would someday become hobbit culture by the time Isildur fell.

Rohirrim would be a bigger deal, since even the founder of that culture wouldn’t be born until long after the end of the second age.

We don’t even know how much time will be covered here. It could well go all the way to the first downfall of Sauron.
I am guessing you are not a fan of the books or you would not be asking this question.
This is a very inappropriate thing to say to someone who simply seems to have different priorities than you.

Rune

Once A Fool
The Shire was founded in about TA 1600 and the hobbits traveled out of the east to get there. So no, no hobbits in any of the lands Numenor would have explored/colonized/conquered in the Second Age.
I don’t think I can agree with your assessment of these facts as conclussively excluding the presence of hobbits during the Second Age.

In the first place, I think it’s reasonable to conclude that “the east” in this context means the Anduin Valley, whence came Sméagle. That was in the Third Age. It tells us nothing about hobbits (or the lack thereof) in the Second Age.

In the second place, some of the lands explored/colonized/conquered in the Second Age were in the east (relative to the eventual location of The Shire). Notably, Gondor.
A little of their pre-Shire history is in The One Ring books and probably should be considered canon, as none of those books were released without first getting Tolkien Estate approval.
If that is your bar, then everything in the Amazon show will be canon, because the Tolkien Estate is who they have forged their new license with. Thus, if they decide to put hobbits on boats and sail them to Valinor, that, too, would be canon.

In the first place, I think it’s reasonable to conclude that “the east” in this context means the Anduin Valley, whence came Sméagle. That was in the Third Age. It tells us nothing about hobbits (or the lack thereof) in the Second Age.

In the second place, some of the lands explored/colonized/conquered in the Second Age were in the east (relative to the eventual location of The Shire). Notably, Gondor.

Everything west of Mordor is the West. And Smeagol found the Ring around TA 2463, or almost 900 years after the Shire was founded.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Everything west of Mordor is the West. And Smeagol found the Ring around TA 2463, or almost 900 years after the Shire was founded.
Hobbits began wandering and crossed over the Misty Mountains in the beginning of the Third Age. Before that we know only that they dwelt along Anduin in Wilderland before their wandering days.

To think that they just couldn’t possibly be in a story set in the Second Age is silly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases