[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Mercurius

Legend
I really dislike the degree to which criticism is considered "toxic," no matter the reasons for that criticism, as if any change is good and new is always better, and if you dislike an adaptation or new version, you're inherently being "toxic" or, worse yet, "racist."

This is not to say that there aren't voices that are toxic and/or racist, but what I'm taking issue is the broad-brush depiction of any and all--or at least most--complaints as being toxic/racist. It is an all-too easy ad hominem way of writing off legit criticism.

Most of the protests I read have to do with the degree to which an adaptation diverges from the source material and/or the spirit of the source material. This is particularly touchy with something like Tolkien, because it is so beloved. The potential is there for a sense of disrespect and exploitation of an artist's vision.

This is not to say that any alterations and updates are inherently bad or disrespectful of Tolkien, but I think the key is staying true to the spirit of his vision and specific creations.

As for the teaser, my take: Too little to go on. It looks pretty good visually, but on first blush it doesn't feel quite as "authentic Tolkien" as Jackson's initial trilogy. My expectations are tepid. I agree with what someone said up-thread that it should say "inspired by the works of JRR Tolkien." That's how I'm going to approach it, and thus my enjoyment will be based mostly on how good it is as a fantasy story. I'm not looking for it to actualize Tolkien's world on the screen - that's where I think a lot of "Tolkienistas" go wrong.

Considering the contradictions, like so much around the edges of Middle-Earth, I suspect Tolkien went back and forth on it over the years.

From the Return of the King:

"They are in voice and appearance, and in garb if they must go on a journey, so like to the dwarf-men that the eyes and ears of other peoples cannot tell them apart."

From the War of the Jewels:

"For the Naugrim have beards from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike; nor indeed can their womenkind be discerned by those of other race..."

But, yeah, it doesn't matter.

They did not have full beards, but the dwarven women had varying degrees of facial hair in it. As an aside, apparently Cate Blanchett tried to convince them to let her cameo a bearded dwarven woman in one of the scenes:

“I loved it so much and I did say to Peter and Fran, they were doing a banquet scene with a whole lot of dwarves. I always wanted to play the bearded lady, so I asked them, could I be your hairy wife woman when you pan across the banquet table of dwarves?”

There were Dwarf women fleeing Smaug in The Hobbit movie and some of them did not have beards, so this will not be the first time on film for that, just the first time a female will be interacted with at all.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I really dislike the degree to which criticism is considered "toxic," no matter the reasons for that criticism, as if any change is good and new is always better, and if you dislike an adaptation or new version, you're inherently being "toxic" or, worse yet, "racist."

This is not to say that there aren't voices that are toxic and/or racist, but what I'm taking issue is the broad-brush depiction of any and all--or at least most--complaints as being toxic/racist. It is an all-too easy ad hominem way of writing off legit criticism.

Most of the protests I read have to do with the degree to which an adaptation diverges from the source material and/or the spirit of the source material. This is particularly touchy with something like Tolkien, because it is so beloved. The potential is there for a sense of disrespect and exploitation of an artist's vision.

This is not to say that any alterations and updates are inherently bad or disrespectful of Tolkien, but I think the key is staying true to the spirit of his vision and specific creations.

As for the teaser, my take: Too little to go on. It looks pretty good visually, but on first blush it doesn't feel quite as "authentic Tolkien" as Jackson's initial trilogy. My expectations are tepid. I agree with what someone said up-thread that it should say "inspired by the works of JRR Tolkien." That's how I'm going to approach it, and thus my enjoyment will be based mostly on how good it is as a fantasy story. I'm not looking for it to actualize Tolkien's world on the screen - that's where I think a lot of "Tolkienistas" go wrong.
You must not be looking at Twitter or other places, because, trust me, there is plenty of racism.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Like the forging of the rings of power? :p
The Vanity Fair article cleared up that the source material for the show is very specifically Appendix B of Return of the King. Nothing more, nothing less, other than what they make up. So, it's mostly going to be fan fiction, which can go either way.

Which effectively means that they can reference events from the Silmarillion...if they are in Return of the King.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The Vanity Fair article cleared up that the source material for the show is very specifically Appendix B of Return of the King. Nothing more, nothing less, other than what they make up. So, it's mostly going to be fan fiction, which can go either way.

Which effectively means that they can reference events from the Silmarillion...if they are in Return of the King.
Gotcha. Oh, well. That's really too bad. There's a lot of good stuff in the Silmarillion.

Remove ads