The Monty Python TTRPG Kickstarter Just Went Live!

Monty Python's Cocurricular Mediaeval Reenactment Programme, the offical licensed Monty Python roleplaying game, just went live on Kickstarter! It's $25 for the PDF, or $65 for the hardcover ($95 for the special edition). You can also pick up a whole bunch of accessories -- dice, tokens, a screen, even a dice catapult! The game is a rules-lite system (with spam!) and, while set in...

Monty Python's Cocurricular Mediaeval Reenactment Programme, the offical licensed Monty Python roleplaying game, just went live on Kickstarter!

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 3.07.22 PM.png

It's $25 for the PDF, or $65 for the hardcover ($95 for the special edition). You can also pick up a whole bunch of accessories -- dice, tokens, a screen, even a dice catapult!

The game is a rules-lite system (with spam!) and, while set in mediaeval England, draws on Monty Python's entire catalogue.

knight.png

beast.png

You can choose to play a Cleric, Enchanter, Hermit, Knight, Monarch, Monk/Nun, Ne’erdowell, Noble, Peasant, or Troubadour. You'll also have up to five Traits like Valour, Wisdom in the Ways of Science, and so on.

dice.jpg

The dice appear to include d18s, d16s, and d14s. There's also a d30!

The Kickstarter has a high funding goal of $200k, which is made in the first hour. Currently it is racking up a thousand dollars every few seconds — chances are this might be a new million dollar campaign, after a lull in them these past few months.

Laurefindel

Legend
I will probably never play this game. I'm unlikely to even read it all the way through.

But I'm backer #20, and one of an ever-expanding roster of Upper Class Twits. I couldn't help it.
I suspect the large majority of buyers will never play the game but will buy it for the chuckle of reading it and bragging to their friends. Considering the age of the reference material, I also suspect most buyers are old enough to have that kind of disposable income, which all things considered, is reasonably affordable.

RareBreed

Adventurer
I suspect the large majority of buyers will never play the game but will buy it for the chuckle of reading it and bragging to their friends. Considering the age of the reference material, I also suspect most buyers are old enough to have that kind of disposable income, which all things considered, is reasonably affordable.
My coworkers are mostly in their mid 20s to early 30s, whereas I was born while they were making Monty Python episodes :) I mentioned this Kickstarter to them and made some Flying Circus references. Then I caught myself and wondered if they even got the jokes, because I wasn't sure if folks in that age group even knew about Monty Python. I quite often show my age by making reference to popular culture from the 80s that goes over their heads.

They were like oh yeah, it's alive and well, and started quoting from Holy Grail, Life of Brian and Meaning of Life movies. So thankfully, this classic is still fresh in the minds of a younger generation, at least amongst the software engineering crowd I know.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
My coworkers are mostly in their mid 20s to early 30s, whereas I was born while they were making Monty Python episodes :) I mentioned this Kickstarter to them and made some Flying Circus references. Then I caught myself and wondered if they even got the jokes, because I wasn't sure if folks in that age group even knew about Monty Python. I quite often show my age by making reference to popular culture from the 80s that goes over their heads.

They were like oh yeah, it's alive and well, and started quoting from Holy Grail, Life of Brian and Meaning of Life movies. So thankfully, this classic is still fresh in the minds of a younger generation, at least amongst the software engineering crowd I know.
My coworkers are almost all young enough to be my children, and I was shocked when three of them got REALLY excited when I told them about this game. One of the three I didn't even know played TTRPGs at all - he never mentioned it, even when the rest of us talked about it around him.

The kids might be alright after all.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads