• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The official 2015 Doctor Who (with spoilers for aired episodes only) thread

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Heck Davros was "killed" in the very first serial in which he appeared (back in 1975), and then was brought back in 1979. His defying death is as old as the character. The same goes for The Master, really.

I don't have a major problem with the no-impact deaths, for two reasons. First off, the show's production is so heavily watched by people looking for scoops and spoilers that they can't write anyone off without everyone knowing about it, and the writers and producers know this - you *cannot* surprise anyone with the death of a major character on Doctor Who, and as a result, making death matter is extremely difficult. Also, these episodes aren't about the emotional impact of death of friends. They seem to be about the moral and emotional impact of time-travel and assassination, which is a rather different thing. And the scene where the Doctor recognizes the child Davros *was* impactful.

I, for one, am tired of the "wacky-crazy" Master/Mistress already - the Doctor is really all the wacky we need. But then, I'm not a fan of the "rubber-clown-nose" approach to insanity to begin with, so the shtick wears quickly on me. I'd be happy with a return of a bit of the Delgado/Ainsley style to Gomez's Mistress, as it would provide some much-needed contrast to the Doctor's personality.

Ryujin

Legend
I would say that the "rubber clown nose" approach to insanity is no more outre than was Roger Delgado's "Snidely Whiplash" moustache-twirling evil. I take them both as being affectations of The Master, rather than actual character.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I would say that the "rubber clown nose" approach to insanity is no more outre...

I am not saying it is outre. I'm saying it is annoying, displeasing, and redundant given that the Doctor himself tends to the wacky. In terms of storytelling structure, it isn't a good choice.

On top of that, as a distant second issue, I can accept a really intelligent, principled, mustache-twirling evil a lot more easily than I can a misrepresentation of insanity. Again, it isn't about being outre, it is about how people who have been through trauma and abuse don't end up like that. Yes, I know, alien psychology, blah, blah. The point remains that in an age when we have issues with comprehension of mental health, wacky-clown-nose insanity isn't an assistance.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I am not saying it is outre. I'm saying it is annoying, displeasing, and redundant given that the Doctor himself tends to the wacky. In terms of storytelling structure, it isn't a good choice.

I find her superb; I enjoy her performance immensely. Very happy with it indeed!

Ryujin

Legend

On top of that, as a distant second issue, I can accept a really intelligent, principled, mustache-twirling evil a lot more easily than I can a misrepresentation of insanity. Again, it isn't about being outre, it is about how people who have been through trauma and abuse don't end up like that. Yes, I know, alien psychology, blah, blah. The point remains that in an age when we have issues with comprehension of mental health, wacky-clown-nose insanity isn't an assistance.

As I said, I see it as more of an affectation than 'legitimate' insanity (despite the looking into the untempered schism backstory). The behaviour is very similar to the classic DC Joker both in levity and homicidal behaviour. We also have a darker, less whacky Doctor now.

I find her superb; I enjoy her performance immensely. Very happy with it indeed!

As do I. It seems a very reasonable progression from John Simm's singing, dancing Master and she does it exceedingly well.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
On top of that, as a distant second issue, I can accept a really intelligent, principled, mustache-twirling evil a lot more easily than I can a misrepresentation of insanity.

I don't think Missy is attempting to portray her Master on the basis of faux insanity, the Insanity shtick was John Simms, whereas Gomez comes across more as the self entitled villain who has embraced their evilness and really does see everyone else as inferior. Missy enjoys being the villainous balance to the Doctor, her demented Mary Poppins is simply a feminine variation of the mustache-twirling menace

I am a big fan of over the top, larger than life villains and think she is one of the best I've seen on screen in ages. Michelle Gomez is up there with the likes of Vincent Price and Gary Oldman for me.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

This has nothing to do with the actress. She, herself, is doing an awesome job with what they are giving her. I very specifically want her to stay.

I am merely not so happy with what they are giving her to do.

Remove ads