D&D 5E The Paladin excerpt

Sacrosanct

Legend
The Oath of Vengeance seems very much Batman to me. Was Batman lawful good?

And really, I have no problems with anti-paladins being in the DMG as an optional class. Most players don't play evil PCs anyway. In fact, I don't allow it at my table unless there is a really good reason for it and I trust the player, as more often than not, players wanting to play evil PCs do so for selfish reasons and/or an excuse for them to be a jerk and the disruption isn't worth it.

In fact, I don't allow it at my table unless there is a really good reason for it and I trust the player, as more often than not, players wanting to play evil PCs do so for selfish reasons and/or an excuse for them to be a jerk and the disruption isn't worth it.

This. I've occasionally enjoyed an "all evil" campaign, but allowing evil-aligned characters in an otherwise non-evil party? I'd have have to seriously trust the person's judgment, RPing ability, motivation, and his/her ability to accept being told "You're taking things too far."

I have played with people like that, but it's rare.

That said, I could see a LE Paladin of Vengeance, under the proper circumstances.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Not to derail too far, but I've allowed evil characters in mostly non-evil parties. Basically, they had enough maturity to be evil to the world at large, but not the people they're working with. It may also have helped that I allowed one player to play a half-human half-erinyes tiefling. This was before it was confirmed tieflings with 1/4 fiend.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
I love it. Options, not restrictions. That's great. Well, 90% or more of the time it works out great. CG, CN, LN, LG, N, I can see them all as paladins who strive to uphold justice and righteousness in flawed ways. They may indeed think of themselves as LG despite their real behavior, and their god may not mind their errant ways if they are getting results in the long run. I've never been a fan of taking away powers or forcing a class change or questioning players "Are you sure you want to kill the prisoner?". Such nonsense was never fun to me. And though I think the idea of a CE paladin or any paladin who behaves like a villain is not reasonable, it's something that can be dealt with by the DM without the need for specific rules if it's a problem. So I'm more than ok with no alignment requirements, even given the class description.

Sacrosanct

Legend
This. I've occasionally enjoyed an "all evil" campaign, but allowing evil-aligned characters in an otherwise non-evil party? I'd have have to seriously trust the person's judgment, RPing ability, motivation, and his/her ability to accept being told "You're taking things too far."

I have played with people like that, but it's rare.

That said, I could see a LE Paladin of Vengeance, under the proper circumstances.

Agreed. On all points. There are a few players I trust to do this. But it's rare. And I could see a LE paladin of vengeance as well. The oath is the important thing, so in this case the lawful is more important than the good/evil.

Morentis

Explorer
Tyr returns

"Appendix B lists many deities worshiped by paladins throughout the multiverse, such as Torm, Tyr, Heironeous, Paladine..."

Well, well, well! Look who's coming back from the dead. Since my paladin has been a devout follower of Tyr since was originally created back in the late 80s, Wizards has made at least one player very happy.

"Appendix B lists many deities worshiped by paladins throughout the multiverse, such as Torm, Tyr, Heironeous, Paladine..."

Well, well, well! Look who's coming back from the dead. Since my paladin has been a devout follower of Tyr since was originally created back in the late 80s, Wizards has made at least one player very happy.

Considering how Ragnarok has not happened in D&D's interpretation of Norse mythology, and Thor and Odin are very much alive, I don't see why Tyr would be dead...

Oh, you meant in FR.

Remove ads