D&D 5E The Planetouched Lineages (Tieflings/Aasimar/Genasi/Axani/Cansin/Liminaire)

I've compiled together a more presentable table of appearance traits for Tieflings.

Appearance
Tieflings often have features like horns of varying sizes, tails, sharp teeth or cloven feet. Many Tieflings don't have any such features appearing mostly as Humans or other mortal races, and only containing a hint of a fiendish nature such as an ominous shadow, a slight scent of sulphur or a terrifying reflection in the mirror.

Instead of deciding for yourself what a Tiefling looks like, especially if you feel the Tiefling has a specific type of Fiend in their bloodline. You may also select 1d4 features from the table below, either picking any one of the choices or rolling a d100 for each feature as a guideline. A Tiefling may have features not covered in this table.

Roll Trait
1-2 Horns on Forehead
3-4 Horns on Temples
5-6 Crown of Horns
7 Single horn on forehead
8-9 Long, thin face

10-11 Fangs
12-13 All teeth are pointed
13-14 Forked tongue
15-16 Pointed ears
17-18 Fan-like ears

19-20 Extremely long nose
21 Very small (almost unnoticeable) nose
22-23 Extremely long eyelashes
24-25 Red eyes
26-27 Black eyes (no whites)

28-29 Feline or reptilian eyes
30 Extremely deep-set eyes
31-33 Unusual hair color
34 Multicolored hair
35-36 Six fingers(including thumbs)

36-37 Three fingers (including thumbs)
37-38 Black fingernails
39-40 Red fingernails
41-42 Fingers are longer than normal
43-44 Arms are longer than normal

45-46 Legs are longer than normal
47-48 Horselike legs
49-50 Goatlike legs
51-52 Goatlike hooves
53-54 Insectlike legs

55-56 Long, thin tail
57-58 Horselike tail
59-60 Lizardlike tail
61-62 Spiny ridges on back
63 Spiny ridges all over body

66-67 Completely Hairless body
68-69 Body covered in short fur or long hair
70-71 Body covered in striped markings
72-73 Extremely greasy skin
74-76 Scaly skin

77-78 Leathery skin
77-78 Chitinous skin
79 Small feathers rather than hair on body
80-82 Unusual tint (like red, ashen, green, blue or purple) to skin
83-84 Slight hint of an odor such as ash, sulfur, or decay surrounds body

85-86 Skin exudes ash grit
87 Body cast no shadow
88 Body casts a monstrous shadow
89 Has no reflection in mirror
90 Has a monstrous reflection in mirror

91-93 Claw-like fingernails
94 Prolonged touch withers normal plants
95 Has a high body heat
96 Has a cold body temperature
97-98 Vestigial Wings

99 Vestigial Limbs such as arms with pincers or tentacles
00 Snake(s) attached to body

I updated the legacies, reducing them down to 9. Presented suggested alternates, while still based on the subraces from Tome of Foes they resemble them less.

Legacy of the Foreboding - Menace and dread are the flavours invoked by this Legacy, an often common one where the fiend inside exudes malevolence and spite. It's thought that this might be the most common Tiefling legacy (it's the default one). The powers of this legacy are: Thaumaturgy, at 3rd level Hellish Rebuke cast as 2nd-level spell once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Darkness cast once before requiring a long rest.
Alternate Spells: Replace Hellish Rebuke with Burning Hands (cast as 2nd-level spell)

Legacy of Corruption - Twisting and poisoning things is what the fiend inside desires, it seeks to weaken others to impose its will on the outside world. The powers of this legacy are: Vicious Mockery, at 3rd level Ray of Sickness cast as 2nd-level spell once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Crown of Madness cast once before requiring a long rest.
Alternate Spells: Replace Vicious Mockery with Infestation (Xanathar's Guide of Everything), and/or Ray of Sickness with Dissonant Whispers (cast as 2nd-level spell) or Tasha's Hideous Laughter

Legacy of the Infiltrator - The fiend inside seeks to learn the darkest of secrets to exert control and destroy things from the inside. It's often mistrusting of others. The powers of this legacy are: Message, at 3rd level Disguise Self once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Detect Thoughts cast once before requiring a long rest.
Alternate Spells: Replace Message with Friends

Legacy of the Tempter - The fiend likes to bend others to its will through the force of personality, it's better to convince others to work in your agenda than to do such things yourself. The powers of this legacy are: Friends, at 3rd level Charm Person once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Suggestion cast once before requiring a long rest.
Alternate Spells: Replace Suggestion with Enthrall

Legacy of Deception - The fiend desires to bend or hide the truth, lies become its weapons as the truth itself is something that's malleable under deft control of one such as itself. The powers of this legacy are: Minor Illusion, at 3rd level Disguise Self once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Invisibility cast once before requiring a long rest.
Alternate Spells: Replace Invisibility with Phantasmal Force

Legacy of Isolation - The fiend is cold-hearted and uncaring, it depises others wishing nothing more than pain and ruin on those it feels have violated it's sancutary. The powers of this legacy are: Ray of Frost, at 3rd level Armor of Agathys cast as 2nd-level spell once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Darkness cast once before requiring a long rest.
Alternate Spells: Replace Armor of Agathys with Ice Knife (Xanathar's Guide to Everything) cast as a 2nd-level spell, or Darkness with Blindness/Deafness

Legacy of Obsession - The fiend inside seeks to covet and take all that it can it's own means, it jealously hides what it can away from others. The powers of this legacy are: Mage Hand, at 3rd level Fog Cloud once before requiring a short or long rest, and at 5th level Locate Object cast once before requiring a long rest.
Alternate Spells: Replace Fog Cloud with Tenser's Floating Disk which requires a short or long rest before using again, and/or replace Locate Object with Arcane Lock

Legacy of Malice - The fiend would rather have the world outside burn, everything is to be consumed and nothing left but ashes and ruin to rule over. The powers of this legacy are: Produce Flame, at 3rd level Burning Hands cast as 2nd-level spell once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Flame Blade cast once before requiring a long rest.
Alternate Spells: Replace all the fire spells with these acid spells: Acid Splash, at 3rd level Tasha's Caustic Brew (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything) cast as 2nd-level spell once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Melf's Acid Arrow cast once before requiring a long rest

Legacy of Wrath - The fiend inside is driven by bloodlust and rage seeking nothing more than conflict to sate its thirst. Visecral physical violence is often its means. The powers of this legacy are: Thaumaturgy, at 3rd level Searing Smite cast as 2nd-level spell once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Branding Smite cast once before requiring a long rest.
Alternate Spells: Replace Thaumaturgy with Green Flame Blade (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything) or Primal Savagery (Xanathar's Guide to Everything)

Stormonu

Legend
Any ideas on making a Tiefmaar?

Wasn't there also a "neutral" race that would cover the span of outsiders that are neither celestial or fiendish? The Rilmani, I believe? Any consideration of a mortal race sprung from them? And Modron PCs?

I'm still trying to figure out how to implement Prehensile tail, I obviously don't want it being anything ridiculous like attacking with 3 weapons, or shield held with a tail. I figured I might combine it with the Tieflings are often ambidextrous thing that was back in 2e.

Prehensile Tail - The Tiefling has a tail can grasp and manipulate objects. They can hold tiny objects with their tails such as spell focuses, can draw or stow an additional object on their turn. The Tiefling knows the Two-Weapon Fighting style (see Fighter or Ranger), and may interchangeably use their tail instead of their offhand when wielding a light weapon. For ability checks when they use their tail, such as Thievery (Dexterity) for checks involving sleight of hand or Atheletics (Strength) checks involving climbing they may get a +2 bonus. This replaces Fiendish Resistance.

Any ideas on making a Tiefmaar?

Wasn't there also a "neutral" race that would cover the span of outsiders that are neither celestial or fiendish? The Rilmani, I believe? Any consideration of a mortal race sprung from them? And Modron PCs?
For "Tiefmaar" I wrote this:
"In cases where Planetouched of different planar lineages mix, the result is a Planetouched of one of the parent's lineages.

Optional Rule: Mixed planetouched lineage characters can replace one of their abilities for an equivalent ability of another planetouched lineage."

I thought for a moment about Rilmani and other Neutral descended planetouched. There still might be something to come up with. But strangely enough that Dragon Magazine article (#235) where they applied Skills and Powers to the Planetouched, grouped Rilmani and not Archons for some reason into the Aasimar.

I'm probably going with Axani as the name of the lawful planetouched, it'll include the 3e MMII Mechanatrix under that umbrella. But actual Modron PCs is not something I'll do for this, as they aren't Planetouched. (Rogue) Modrons probably need to go in another thread with Bariuar (and Nathri and Nethlings) about PC races in Planescape that haven't been touched.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Note that things like Tannaruk and Fey'ri and whatever else are just Tieflings or whatever for these purposes, I won't be putting any special effort around those. A Fey'ri in this is just a Tiefling with some Elvish qualities."

I think they're more like cambions than tieflings.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I'm still trying to figure out how to implement Prehensile tail, I obviously don't want it being anything ridiculous like attacking with 3 weapons, or shield held with a tail. I figured I might combine it with the Tieflings are often ambidextrous thing that was back in 2e.
Model it after the Loxodon trunk:

Trunk. You can grasp things with your trunk, and you can use it as a snorkel. It has a reach of 5 feet, and it can lift a number of pounds equal to five times your Strength score. You can use it to do the following simple tasks: lift, drop, hold, push, or pull an object or a creature; open or close a door or a container; grapple someone; or make an unarmed strike. Your DM might allow other simple tasks to be added to that list of options.

Your trunk can't wield weapons or shields or do anything that requires manual precision, such as using tools or magic items or performing the somatic components of a spell.

Model it after the Loxodon trunk:

Trunk. You can grasp things with your trunk, and you can use it as a snorkel. It has a reach of 5 feet, and it can lift a number of pounds equal to five times your Strength score. You can use it to do the following simple tasks: lift, drop, hold, push, or pull an object or a creature; open or close a door or a container; grapple someone; or make an unarmed strike. Your DM might allow other simple tasks to be added to that list of options.

Your trunk can't wield weapons or shields or do anything that requires manual precision, such as using tools or magic items or performing the somatic components of a spell.
That's useful though I see it as being weaker and more precise. Though something like that wouldn't be the equivalent of Fire Resistance. It's probably closer to replacing Darkvision, but still less useful than that.

Faolyn

(she/her)
That's useful though I see it as being weaker and more precise. Though something like that wouldn't be the equivalent of Fire Resistance. It's probably closer to replacing Darkvision, but still less useful than that.
Well, the trunk can lift things equal to 5 x Strength; a tail maybe can do equal to base Strength, or twice that. And you could get rid of grapple and strike abilities, but make a racial feat that allows them.

Here's some feats for this version of the Tiefling, trying to get the power levels right might need to remove some things if too strong:
Planar legacy: (generic feat from above included her again for reference)
-You may increase an ability score of your choice by 1 point.
-Pick a trait from any Planetouched lineage (this may include something like Wings which a DM might restrict from starting characters).

Improved Fiendish Legacy:
Requirements: Fiendish legacy
-You may increase your charisma, constitution or intelligence score by 1 point.
-At 7th level you gain a 3rd level spell from the Warlock or Wizard spell list which you can cast once before requiring a long rest.
-At 9th level you gain a 4th level spell from the Warlock or Wizard spell list which you can cast once before requiring a long rest.

Improved Fiendish Resistance:
Requirements: Fiendish resistance
-You have immunity to the damage type you had resistance from with Fiendish Legacy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases