• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Psionicle, Part X

Zhure

First Post
Osius

"I agree. I don't think we stand a snowball's chance against a dragon, unless it's an infant in swaddling scales."

Jarval

Explorer
"To be honest, I don't know if Ratheqar is less dangerous than a dragon. We've tried to kill him twice, and we're yet to even hurt him seriously." Jansson chews on a forkful of the food as he speaks.

"Let us question the council on these matters. We have little information about either path, and they may already have knowledge on one or both of the gems. Even if they do not, they may be able to gather some intelligence for us."

In the meanwhile Ruth starts preparing her stuff for repairs she is gonna conduct the day after. Afterwards she prepares a good homecooked meal and then quickly heads to her own bed to get a nights sleep she hasn't had in almost a month.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Animus tries to avoid contact with those people who he considers friends. He works diligently on his own martial training, in hopes of being a better match for his enemies when the time comes to combat them.

Jarval

Explorer
"Right, I'm off to bed. See you all in the morning." Jansson yawns widely, the aches and pains of a fortnight in the saddle catching up with him. He pauses half way up the stairs.

"Don't wake me early tomorrow, unless it's really important. Short of an Ithilid invasion, I need a good night's rest."

Dalamar

Adventurer
Syld startles up from his reading.
"What? Illithids?"
Seeing none of the tentacled menaces, he returns to reading his book.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
The rest of the night passes (mostly) uneventfully...

-----

Osius -
Your meditations are strangely perturbed... you get a sense that the Amethyst itself posesses a degree of intelligence, though it gives you no sign that this is true. You also feel a vague throbbing sensation when you hold it in your hand, as though it were trying to pull you towards Syld's room, and a stronger pull towards where the Staff of Ancient Penumbra lies.

-----

The next morning, you head downstairs; the innkeep directs you to a table covered in plates with chunks of bread, slices of ham still steaming, and hunks of cheese.

The sun shines in through windows in the front of the inn. What you can see of the sky is clear of clouds, and it looks like it will be a nice day.

Zhure

First Post
Osius

Osius looks a little bedraggled at breakfast. (Once more he doesn't eat, merely joins for companionship.) "I had disturbing meditations - it's as if the Amethyst is sentient and trying to join with the staff. Do you think we should try to link them now or wait until we've assembled all the parts?

"I mean if they have the ability to sense each other, maybe if they're stronger they will be able to help us locate the rest of the parts."

Dalamar

Adventurer
"And if they're stronger, there's an awfully great chance that the Staff can overtake the one to use it for the searching."
Surprisingly, Syld isn't reading while he eats, probably to make sure the books stay in as good condition as possible.

Jarval

Explorer
Jansson nods at Syld's words.

"I agree. I'm inclined to keep the parts of the Psionicle separate, at least until we have the majority of them in our possession. In all likelihood, the staff's malevolent mind set will take quite a bit of diluting before we can safely use it. But this is a matter to ask the Council. They will know more of the Psionicle and its component parts than us, and perhaps they can suggest the wisest course of action.

"Interesting that the Amethyst has its own sentience." He says to Osius. "How did it seem to you? Friendly? Angry? Less evil than the staff?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads