• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Seas of Blood (a piritical game) - Full

Phoenix

First Post
Ferrix said:
You could be a rogue type who specializes in boarding an enemies ship prior to engagement (ranks in Swim, water breathing, etc.) and sabotage things.

Or, you could be a fighter type who basically functions as a living cannonball. Load him up onto a catapult and let him fly onto their decks to create a bit of onboard havoc. A monk could also actually work pretty well for this concept. Big jump skill, some ranks in swim in case he misses and goes in the water.

I know I shouldn't introduce ideas for characters but...

Catapult....Ring of Feather Fall.....I lurrrrve it :lol:

Bront

The man with the probe
LOL nice idea.

There are some people who are just sailors. Nothing wrong with being some guy who just sails, and enjoys the lifestyle. It can work for any character class. You don't have to do something special on the ship, but if your character is special, well skilled, and a fine man to have in a crew, then Captain Swoops will have found you.

TroyXavier

First Post
Well, hopefully this will work

Kerwin Swiftswimmer
Human Ranger(3)/Barbarian(2)/Animal Lord (Shark) (3)

Personality: Kerwin tends to be quiet at first until he gets familiar with the situation. If he has consumed alcohol however, he can be quite boisterous and rowdy. He is eager to explore the world and see the many wonders it must contain. He feels an empathy with sharks and will get into an arguement with anyone who puts such creatures down. He enjoys nothing more than a good hunt or a good fight but will also be perfectly willing to negotiate if an opponent poses no obvious threat.

Background:
Kerwin Swiftswimmer is an island native who felt a kinship for the sea from the time he could walk. His tribe was renowned for both fishing and boatbuilding, crafts Kerwin quickly learned. They were also quite talented at hunting. When Kerwin was of age he went on these hunting expeditions. Kerwin however felt different. He felt a need to explore. The elders did not approve of such ideas. They were afraid that he would be killed if he were to continue such foolish actions. For a while, Kerwin grudgingly accepted this. He worked on his skills with the long spear. He also spent long periods swimming. The ocean was one place where he felt at peace. He saw many wonders and incredible sites under the water. He knew that the ocean could not be the only place that held such wonders. Somehow, he would have to leave his tribe. He would get his chance when a ship was blown off course. The pirates that landed on the island decided that since they were on the island, they would re-supply and recruit some new members. Seeing this as a chance to get off the island and to explore the world, Kerwin enlisted with the pirates. Kerwin spent much of his time on the ship improving his fighting techniques. He also was willing to dive under the ship to clean off the debris that inevitably gathered upon it. For reasons Kerwin did not quite understand, the sharks that often menaced other sailors seemed quite friendly with him. He realized that he had an empathy with the sharks which would eventually become a bond. The captain realized that this was quite an asset for the crew. If anyone went over, Kerwin was assigned the task of rescuing them if sharks were involved. Kerwin has since transferred to his current ship after receving a better offer. With his spear Longtooth, he fights and sails and enjoys exploring the world.

Phoenix

First Post
Ok then, so far those that have expressed interest have been:

TroyXavier
Kerwin Swiftswimmer - Rgr3/Bbn2/Ani3
Barnacle scraper, deck hand, lifeguard <?> and general marine
I like the idea, very cool. Like I say to everyone, gimme that full background.

Argent Silvermage
Ramses Waveborne - Rgr4/Sor4
Crow's nest
You need a few ranks in Balance and Profession (sailor), otherwise I like it, can't wait to see the background.

AmorFati
Meenaa Shoulin - Sor?
Navigator
As a Navigator I am not sre how you are going to get the skills you'll need as a Sorceress, but I'll wait and see I guess.

Bront
Captain Jonathon Swoops - Rog2/Swa3/DrP3
Captain of the Moon Goddess
Bring it on cobber...

NPC Cohort
Phineus - Clr6<?>
Doctor
I'll take care of this bad boy, just tell me if e's supposed to be 6th level or not.

Everyone Else
The above are not definates. If the backgrounds are poor and do not suit the game, then others will be picked. I'm thinking that a group of 6 players is on the cards.

Why do I ask for so much backstory for your characters? People that are willing to put a lot of work into their characters are more willing to play, are less likely to drop out, and are more fun :D

Bront

The man with the probe
Phoenix said:
AmorFati
Meenaa Shoulin - Sor?
Navigator
As a Navigator I am not sre how you are going to get the skills you'll need as a Sorceress, but I'll wait and see I guess.

NPC Cohort
Phineus - Clr6<?>
Doctor
I'll take care of this bad boy, just tell me if e's supposed to be 6th level or not.
That was what the Able Learner feat was for, so he can spend cross class and not get killed.

Phineus is definately 6th level. Leadership score was listed (The Honorable Dread Pirate gets a +2 Honerable Reputation bonus to the Diplomacy score, and I don't see why he wouldn't also get that to Leadership for great renown (or at least the +1 for fair), so he's at at least 10, which is a 6th level cohort (technicaly 7th, but must be 2 levels lower than me), and gets a few 1st level folowers.

Anyone who needs a tongue in cheek idea, We need a Halfling Monk who can be a "Cook" ;)

A druid of the sea is always a fun idea.

A ship's crastsman (IE, someone who has a craft skill to repair the ship) would be invaluable.

Just brainstorming for anyone who needs it. I'll have Swoops up soon (crunch mostly done, still working on the background a bit.) I'll probably have stuff done on the ship sometime tomorow.

Bront

The man with the probe
BTW, how are you doing HP? I assumed you did 75% round up (D4=3, D6=5, D8=6, D10=8, D12=9), but if it's different, let me know.

Phoenix

First Post
Bront said:
BTW, how are you doing HP? I assumed you did 75% round up (D4=3, D6=5, D8=6, D10=8, D12=9), but if it's different, let me know.

Yup yup, that's fine. And didn't you know that the role of the 'Doctor' on board is actually the cook, it's sailor's slang man....just so happens that he'll also be the cleric as well :cool:

Bront

The man with the probe
Yeah, but you need a Ninja/Cook on any ship!

One other odd request.

I want to combine 2 unique armors into one item If I can calculate the base cost of the initial armor (in this case, +2 Breast Plate, which costs 4350) can I roll it into another item? I know it will be expensive, but it will fit the character very well, and I can fit it into his background. (In fact, I was going to link that to the boat to explain how he came into possesion of it.)

My hope, Celestial Armor of Command (Cost 41450), which I will name appropriately and tie to everything else.

If I had a Matched Set of magical weapons (no special properties, just a matched set for two weapon fighting), will that still count as 2 magic items? (It's a question of 2 +1 weapons vs 1 +2 weapon, no special paired properties). No big deal if the answer is no, just curious. This is more of an RP thing (Technicaly, I'd be better off with a +2 weapon as far as combat is concerned).

I'm Heading to bed in a bit.

Remove ads