• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Seas of Blood (a piritical game) - Full

Phoenix

First Post
Bront said:
Yeah, but you need a Ninja/Cook on any ship!

One other odd request.

I want to combine 2 unique armors into one item If I can calculate the base cost of the initial armor (in this case, +2 Breast Plate, which costs 4350) can I roll it into another item? I know it will be expensive, but it will fit the character very well, and I can fit it into his background. (In fact, I was going to link that to the boat to explain how he came into possesion of it.)

My hope, Celestial Armor of Command (Cost 41450), which I will name appropriately and tie to everything else.

If I had a Matched Set of magical weapons (no special properties, just a matched set for two weapon fighting), will that still count as 2 magic items? (It's a question of 2 +1 weapons vs 1 +2 weapon, no special paired properties). No big deal if the answer is no, just curious. This is more of an RP thing (Technicaly, I'd be better off with a +2 weapon as far as combat is concerned).

I'm Heading to bed in a bit.

No problem with combined armour, and i'll say it counts as two weapons :(

Bront

The man with the probe
99.9% done. Can't think of anything else he needs at the moment though.

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Captain Jonathon Swoops
[B]Class:[/B] Rogue 2/Swashbuckler 3/Dread Pirate 3
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] NG
[B]Deity:[/B] 

[B]Str:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)     [B]Level:[/B] 8        [B]XP:[/B] 28000/36000
[B]Dex:[/B] 18 +4 (6p.)     [B]BAB:[/B] +7         [B]HP:[/B] 67 (2d6+6d10+8)
[B]Con:[/B] 13 +1 (5p.)     [B]Grapple:[/B] +9     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] XX/XXXX
[B]Int:[/B] 16 +3 (10p.)    [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] XX
[B]Wis:[/B] 10 +0 (2p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +4        [B]Spell Save:[/B] +X
[B]Cha:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)     [B]ACP:[/B] -2         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] XX%

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +8    +0    +4    +0    +0    +0    22
[B]Touch:[/B] 14              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 18
Celestial Armor of Command: AC 5, Enhancement +3, Max Dex +2, ACP -2, Light Armor

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      4    +1    +1    +6
[B]Ref:[/B]                       7    +4    +2    +13
[B]Will:[/B]                      2    +0    +1    +3

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Rapier                    +12    1d6+2*     18-20x2
-2WF			  +10    1d6+2*     18-20x2
Short Sword               +12    1d6+2*     19-20x2
-2WF Off Hand		  +10    1d6+1*     19-20x2
Longbow                   +12    1d8+2       20x3
*Additional +4 Insightful Strike damage

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Aquan, Halfling

[B]Abilities:[/B] 
Sneak Attack: +1d6 Damage when flanking or opponent denied dex bonus.
Evasion: Reflex Save for half instead saves for none
Grace +1: Compitence Bonus to Reflex Saves in Light or no armor
Insightful Strike: Add Int to damage with any finessable weapon, only does damage to any creature who can be affected by sneak attack.   Only works in light or no armor.
Seamanship: Add Dread Pirate class level as insight bonus to Profession:Sailor skill checks.  Any allies withing sight or earshot may add half this bonus.
Fearsom Reputation: Honorable Pirate: +2 circumstance bonus to Diplomacy.
Rally the Crew: Inspire allies- +1 Morale bonus to Save vs Charm & Fear, Attack, and Weapon Damage rolls.  Free action to activate, effects all allies within sight or hearing.  Last 1 min/Dread Pirate level.

[B]Feats:[/B] 
1 Quickdraw
1 Dodge
S2 Weapon Finesse
3 Mobility
4 Dex +1
DP5 Two Weapon Fighting
6 Leadership: 14 (8 Level + 2 Cha + 2 Reputation + 2 Armor of Command)
8 Dex +1

[B]Skill Points:[/B] XX       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] X/X
[B]Skills                Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Appraise		8    +3          +11
Balance*		8    +4          +12
Bluff			8    +2    +2    +12
Climb*			5    +2    -2    +5
Diplomacy		8    +2    +8    +18
Gather Information	5    +2    +4    +11
Intimidate		6    +2    +4    +12
Jump*			5    +2          +7
KN: Local		5    +3          +8
Listen			5    +0          +5
Open Lock		5    +4          +9
Perform: Oratory	5    +2    +2    +9
Prof: Sailor		8    +0          +8
Sense Motive		5    +0          +5
Slight of Hand*		5    +4          +9
Spot			5    +0          +5
Swim*			5    +2    -4    +3
Tumble*			8    +4          +12
Use Rope		5    +4          +9
*ACP already figured in

[B]Equipment:           	    Cost  Weight[/B]
Masterwork Rapier		320	2
Masterwork Shortsword		310	
MW Comp Longbow +2 Str		600	3
40 Arrows			4	6
4 Daggers			8	4
Gloves Dexterity +2		4000	
Celestial Armor of Command	41450	20
Cloak of Resistance +1		1000	
Spyglass			1000	1
MW Thieves Tools		100	2
2 Sunrods			2	2
1 Cure Light Potion		50	
1 Cure Medium Potion		300	
1 Waterbreathing Potion		750	
Signal Whistle			0.8	
Signet Ring			5	
Money for the Ship		10000	
Sealing Wax			2	2 - Ship
Personal Journal		15	3 - Ship
Captain's Log			15	3 - Ship
[B]Total Weight:[/B]40lb      [B]Money:[/B] 68gp 2sp 0cp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]                58   116   175   175   875

[B]Age:[/B] 29
[B]Height:[/B] 5'10"
[B]Weight:[/B] 172lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Blue
[B]Hair:[/B] Black
[B]Skin:[/B] Tan
Appearance: XXXX

Background: Captain Jonathon Swoops, of the Moon Goddess, and Honorable Pirate of the Seas is renowned as a sailor and a leader. The Moon Goddess is one of the fastest ships on the seas, and her crew is one of the best trained. Known for being trustworthy in deals, as well as good to his crew, he commands incredible respect from those in the sea-going community.

Little is known of how Captain Swoops came to command the Moon Goddess, but he does and does it well. With his right hand man, Phineus Morgan, priest of Fharlanghn, he has rounded up a fine crew. Rumors vary from him stealing the ship, him taking over the ship when another pirate retired, to even a noble backer keeps him on a payroll. However he ascended to captain, he cuts an intimidating figure, a hard bargain, and is a skilled swordsman to boot. At least, that’s what is known.

The real story is much harsher. Jonathon was the first mate under Captain Hunter of the Razor Fin. A man called Darius Vargo managed to reach a position of some authority on the ship, and cultivated a harder, more brutal pirate attitude. The Captain was against this, and had reprimanded several crewmembers for killing unnecessarily. Darius rose up against the Captain and slew him. He was prepared to kill those remaining loyal to the old Captain till Jonathon talked him into setting those left adrift in one of the rowboats. The boat drifted for a few days, and every night, Jonathon looked up to the moon and prayed that the crew could find safe land.

The boat drifted for almost four days before finally landing on an island. It was a rather large island, and Jonathon immediately took charge and organized the remaining sailors to build a suitable shelter and find food and water. Within days, they had built a large shelter to keep them out of the sun and rain, and had gathered some edible berries, fruits, and had even managed to catch a few wild boars. Then, he began to set up scouting missions.

Not being above his crew, Jonathon set off himself to explore one of the rocky outcroppings near a cove. Finding a cave with light on the other side, he entered cautiously, and emerged on the other side to find a dock, with what seemed to be an abandoned ship. Jonathon explored this ship, which was in pristine shape and had an aura that Jonathon could feel. He entered the captain’s quarters, and saw a suit of armor on a rack with what looked like the captains log on a pedestal next to it. It read “Those who are guided by the moon may don the Captain’s Mantle and take command with the Goddess’s blessing.” Jonathon, in almost a trance, donned the armor, feeling it’s magic flow through him. He felt alive, in charge, and ready to lead his men back home. He put his clothes over the armor, and returned to his crew.

When he returned, the crew noticed his obvious change in demeanor. He told them to quickly gather their things, for salvation was at hand. The crew, excited but confused, gathered all the food and water they had gathered, and walked back with Jonathon to see the ship. The crew stood in awe upon entering the cave, while Jonathon stepped on board the ship and said to the crew “I will entertain any challengers for captaincy of the Moon Goddess.” To his surprise, Phineus Morgan responded, saying “You’ve kept us all alive so far. I don’t know a man here who wouldn’t be proud to call you captain.” And the crew responded with shouts of “Hail Captain Swoops.”

So, the new Captain had his crew load up the ship, gather any other supplies they felt they could, and set off. Despite having a bare crew, the ship made excellent time and handled like a dream. Under the Captain’s fine command, his new crew sailed into port. Secretly, each night, Jonathon says a simple prayer to the unnamed moon goddess, and asks for simple guidance and prosperity.

Rumors of the Captain spread, and he has had little trouble finding a crew in any port he sails to. However, he has been unable to find the island again in his travels, nor does it appear on any map.

Last edited:

Ranger Rick

First Post
Ferrix said:
Or, you could be a fighter type who basically functions as a living cannonball. Load him up onto a catapult and let him fly onto their decks to create a bit of onboard havoc. A monk could also actually work pretty well for this concept. Big jump skill, some ranks in swim in case he misses and goes in the water.

I just love this concept. He needs to be be small so his race would be a dwarf as he also needs to be sturdy. I do think a Monk would fit him well as he can not have swords dangling from the hip so he might need to be unarmed.

I am going to flesh this out. His name shall be Gerrold Mor

Ranger Rick

First Post
Some questions about Dwarves abilities and their life aboard ship:

Does this applies to the inside of a ship even if the boat is capzised and sinking?
- A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.

Does this apply to a ship's rolling deck as well?
- Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).

Phoenix

First Post
Ranger Rick said:
Some questions about Dwarves abilities and their life aboard ship:

Does this applies to the inside of a ship even if the boat is capzised and sinking?
- A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.

Does this apply to a ship's rolling deck as well?
- Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).

Methinks that both answers are no....

a) Intuit Depth is more of a 'travelling underground' thing, rather than a 'flung underwater' thing IMHO.

b) Moving on a rolling deck is more skilled than simply standing still (and stable), IMHO again it seems that the Stability rules govern being forced to move rather than moving with something.

Bront

The man with the probe
Depth is below land level, not sea level, and stability is against opposing forces (due to their squat nature), not opposing floor in the case of the sea.

Hope most of my sheet made sense so far Pheonix. I had a lot of skill synergies that canceled out my Armor Check penalty, so I noted where I had already calculated that in.

Bront

The man with the probe
Ranger Rick said:
I was wondering if a rolling deck can be considered stable enough so that a dwarves stability is still allowed.
I think it still functions on it yes. But it doesn't grant you a bonus against the rolling of the seas.

Remove ads