• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Seas of Blood (a piritical game) - Full

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Ramses Background

History:
Brandy Cooper tells the story of her lover from the sea like it’s a myth not the truth. She tells of his fine elven body washing up on shore just as she was about to throw herself into the sea after loosing her husband Stewart to a woman from town. She saved him from the creature eating him and took him to the Inn that she ran with her father.
Blibboine awoke to the feel of linen sheets and gravity. It took some time to get used to but he had lost an arm to the sharkbeast and was not able to fend for himself. Brandy brought him back to health and careing for him healed her heart as well.
Before he went back to the deep where he belonged he left her with a gift; a child.

Ramses is named after his maternal grandfather. He led a sheltered life for the first 30 or so years until a sailor took him along on a voyage that opened his eyes. The sailor’s ship capsized in the middle of the ocean with no land around. Ram was the only survivor owing to his half sea elf heritage. He was able to swim to an island where he used the skills his mentor taught him to survive. It was almost a year before Ram was saved and returned to Saltbluff.
Once back he volunteered for the marine guard and learned how fight. It was another few years before he was able to return to the island he had made home only to find it enhabited by a sea hag.
He fought the hag but found she was interested in harming him like he thought all hags would want to do. Hailaria was in fact a human woman who was cursed to be in this form but had grown to love the magic she had and decided to remain as a hag. But she was a good woman and realised that others would not understand. Ramses and she became lovers and she chose to teach him magic.
One day she turned on him and tried to kill him. He left and never looked back leaving her to her lonley existance.

He returned to Saltbluff feeling like his world would crumble when his mother took him by the hand and lead him to the ship of an old friend. “Captain Swoops is looking for a Lookout. He could use your talents.” And the rest is history.

Updated Ram's skills in his writeup post.

Last edited:

Ranger Rick

First Post
Gerrold Mor Dwarven cannonballer/monk 8

History - As a young lad, Gerrod showed that he was a fearless fellow and enjoyed flying through the spaces of his mountain home. In the hopes of teaching him reverence, he was sent to a monastery to grow patience and decorum. This Monastery was located on a coast and young Gerrod was fascinated by the ocean and spent much time there to include teaching him how to swim. Gerrod figured out how to rig a catapult to fling him into the water. From there he continued to dive. His group needed to travel to another monastery. While traveling by ship, they came across a ship in need. Gerrod volunteered to reach the other ship. The ship had a catapult and with a rope tied around him he reached the other deck and was able to get a line attached.

After leaving his monastery Gerrod has hooked up with ships of war. The constant firing and jarring has made him hard of hearing. Gerrod is sometime prone to shouting. He typically flies with a rope/grappling hook to secure on the other ship. This allows his current captain to prepare to grapple long before his opponent is ready. Another seldom-used tactic is to land in the rigging and (using ogres or other strong winching apparatus) to capsize the smaller vessel.

His motivation for flying into the Maw is that he finds a certain thrill of doing that. He enjoys bundling up into a catapult or holding on to a ballisita bolt and riding it out to certain death. Working on a pirate ship is his best way of doing it.

He was with Captain Swoopes when that horrible mutiny occured. Gerrod, is a strong believer in the chain of command. His belief in that was put to the test when given a choice, he chose to follow Swoopes. Gerrod's endurance was put to the test several times as he repeatedly took only the bare minimal amount of food/water to survive and to allow other's space on the dinghy, he would swim in the ocean along side. The mutiny created a deep loyalty to Captain swoopes and Gerrod happily donated money to build the current ship. Upon hearing of Gerrod's generosity, several others gave as well.

Monk 8
str 14
dex 16 (14 +2 level)
con 16 (+2 racial)
int 14
wis 14
cha 11 (13-2 racial)

Fort 9
Reflex 9
Will 8
BAB 6/1
HP 8d8 74

AC 21 (10 +3 dex +2 monk ac (belt) +2 wis +2 bracers) (Invulnerability)

Melee – Unarmed +9/+4 2d6+2
Flurry of Blows +8/+8/+3 2d6+2

Feat: Stunning Fist, Deflect Arrows & Improved Disarm, Endurance, Weapon Focus (unarmed), Improved Unarmed Strike

Skills Ranks Mod Synergy Total
Balance 10 3 2 15
Climb 10 2 0 12
Craft (siege weaponry) 5 2 2 9
Jump 10 2 2 14
Perform (dive) 1 0 0 1
Profession (sailor) 1 2 0 3
Spot 11 2 0 13
Swim 11 2 0 13
Tumble 7 3 2 12

Possessions:
Deed to a tavern/inn - partial share (1,000 gp)
co ownership to an Engineering firm that designs seige engines (4,000 gp)
Boots of Speed (12,000 gp)
Belt, Monk’s (13,000 gp)
Bracers +2 (Invulnerability) (25,000 gp = +5 armor enanchment)
5,000 gp Available for ship investing.

Languages: Common, Dwarven

Class/racial [sblock]
Class: AC +1, Unarmored Speed Bonus 20ft, Bonus feats (Stunning Fist, Deflect Arrows & Improved Disarm), flurry of blows, unarmed strike, evasion, Still mind, Ki strike (magic), Purity of body, Wholeness of body, Slow fall 40 ft.
As Medium creatures, dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework… A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids.
+4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
+2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
+2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Ranger Rick

First Post
Bront said:
Rick, you forgot the ring (or other item) of featherfall. Cute though :)

I changed my mind on that. I have a monk and with all of the rigging and sails and masts, he should with his 40' slow fall be able to land without the ring.

Phoenix

First Post
Ranger Rick said:
I changed my mind on that. I have a monk and with all of the rigging and sails and masts, he should with his 40' slow fall be able to land without the ring.

You had 60k gp and bought 4 items? *sighs*

Ranger Rick

First Post
Phoenix said:
You had 60k gp and bought 4 items? *sighs*

Special Note: All characters may only possess a maximum of 4 scrolls, 6 potions and 4 permanent magic items* (all which will of course feature in your background, and the weapons will have names, thanks )

I read that as we can only have 4 items. Did I interpert that wrong? I thought I was following directions in having 4 items.

Ranger Rick

First Post
I am thinking about this more, I have a monk, who does not have a vow of poverty, but is not flush with items. He is a dwarf and makes a living getting thrown violently across a battle zone into the maws of magic and the enemy. What possible possesions would I need? He lives on a ship, and the ship's stores have food, clothing, bedding, and grappling hooks etc. What else would I need?

Phoenix

First Post
Ranger Rick said:
I read that as we can only have 4 items. Did I interpert that wrong? I thought I was following directions in having 4 items.

Just if I had 60k gold I'd at least buy a pet squirrel, or a nice pair of boots, shares in a bridge, perhaps a tavern somewhere, or even a haircut...

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Ramses' equipment:
18,320 gp Rapier +2 (Bane: Monsterous Humanoids) [Hagslayer]
2,322 gp Alchemical silver dagger +1 [Sweet sting]
27,860 gp Leather armor +2, Spell Resistance 15, Glamored.
7,200 gp Cloak of the manta ray
3,000 gp 2 potions Protection from Arrows 15/magic
(58,702gp spent.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads