D&D 5E The Size of Books

One of the things I was disappointed by in late 3e and 4e was the size of the books. 160 pages just felt small for the cost and the amount of content. The size was likely initially related to the number of books being released, but even with the frequency of books shrinking the size of books has not increased.

Personally, I prefer the Paizo approach of fewer hardcover books but each being a big 250-300 page monster.

I started to wonder how other people felt, and that seemed poll worthy.

Grimmjow

First Post
i didn't like how little the books had for size and content. Which is why i think that DM content and player content should be in the same book. It means we have less books to buy (no forgotten realms campaign guide and player guide) but with more content in them. More paper for your paper

I wasn’t able to get the poll up in time due to technical problems (unsure if me or ENworld)
Here are the options I was going to submit:

• 300+ pages
  • 300+ pages w/ really small supplemental books
  • 200+ pages
  • 200+ pages w/ smalled supplemental books
  • 150+ pages
  • 150+ pages w/ slightly smaller supplemental books
  • 1-3 times a year
  • 4-6 times a year
  • 7-9 times a year
  • 10-12 times a year

I suppose I should add font size to this, but that would mean comparing font between the various books, and I think it varied quite a bit between books even in editions.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
It's not a matter of page count or font size. It's a matter of perceived value and usefulness.

A 160 page hard cover with large print sold for $30 doesn't feel like a lot of value. A 600 page hard cover at $50 feels like a great value, but can be difficult to use, and is often representative of a lot of complexity.

These days, I prefer my rulebooks to be concise and inexpensive and my setting books to be huge and sprawling.

delericho

Legend
One of the things I was disappointed by in late 3e and 4e was the size of the books. 160 pages just felt small for the cost and the amount of content. The size was likely initially related to the number of books being released, but even with the frequency of books shrinking the size of books has not increased.

I don't think so. I think it has more to do with the cost of producing the material going up, and the relative sales going down. Unfortunately, it's easy to slip into a vicious circle - because of low profit margins you cut size/increase price... but that reduces sales, leading to reduced profit margins... and so, because of low profit margins you cut size/increase price...

Personally, I prefer the Paizo approach of fewer hardcover books but each being a big 250-300 page monster.

I'm inclined to agree.

IMO, the ideal would probably be a very slimmed down core* (one book of ~250 pages), followed by supplements. These should be few in number per year, but should be large books containing lots of info (on the logic that the people who want more than your core provides probably want a lot more than your core provides).

* The reason for the very slimmed down core is to avoid scaring off new players. I'm strongly reminded of the last time I introduced the game to a bunch of teens. They were quite excited and interested to play... right up until they saw the three (3.0e) Core Rulebooks. "We have to read all of that?" they asked, and I watched their enthusiasm die. It's not an insurmountable barrier - I got them playing, after all - but those near-1,000-page core rules are a barrier to new players. A slimmed core is better.

But for settings, I would go for the reverse - a relatively massive base setting book, giving as solid an overview of the setting as possible, followed by a range of smaller, relatively more focussed, supplements. The (3e) Eberron line being a pretty good model here.

All IMO, of course.

Grimmjow

First Post
I'd like two things which don't quite fit the mold.

Boxed set campaign settings.

An iPad/Kindle version of the rules (or your favorite variant).

i can see these coming out though. maybe not for previous editions but it would be a very smart move on their part to get the new stuff on ipads and such

Stormonu

Legend
If you hate the 160 page books of 3E, I'd hate to see your rection to the 96-page books of 2E. Yet, I sometimes feel I got more out of those books than later editions.

I'd like to see D&D books go back to a slim volume for the core rules and softbacks for the splats.

And we really, realy, need a beginner's box so we can make the hardbacks as thick as needed without worrying about it. Face, once you get most folks hooked, they want as much as they can get their hands on.

Libramarian

Adventurer
I like the idea of paying a monthly fee and having all the player-option rules crunch be automatically added to the character creation app. I don't want to buy books full of that stuff.

I don't even really want a physical monster manual -- put them all online too.

What I'd like to buy is a DMG that can also, in a pinch, function as a complete, simple, core game. And that is written well, with the author(s) taking the time to explain their intentions and the "spirit" of the rules.

edit^
And somewhere around 200 pages in length.

blalien

First Post
An iPad/Kindle version of the rules (or your favorite variant).

The D&DI Compendium is formatted for mobile devices. I keep it bookmarked on my Kindle Fire, and I don't need to bring books to D&D anymore. I sincerely hope we get an official Character Builder app for iOS and Android.

I don't think Wizards should make the core books too large, since they might be intimidating for new players. I think 300 page core books at $30 each is a good deal.

Remove ads