• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

the tablet war is heating up

Felon

First Post
Microsoft hasn't really done a good mobile OS yet....so I guess we'll see. Microsoft definitely has resources....but they haven't been successful yet. I wouldn't mind it.....but not if it means the devices using it only have 3 hour battery life (as an example).

I'm not an Android fanatic by any means. I use Windows 7 and think MS did a pretty good job with it. It's just they're playing major catch up at this point, and don't know if they'll be able to do it.
Microsoft moves at an elephantine pace, coparatively speaking. There's a good reason for this: they're pretty much the only guys in a very large business arena who provide a soup-to-nuts software framework that's viable for both consumer and enterprise. When we talk about consumer tech, it's easy to forget that there's a whole other arena that's vastly lucrative, and neither Android nor iOS are players there. My current gig is that of an IT admin in a shop that's heavily Wintel-oriented, and I cringe when we're steered into deploying Chrome or Firefox onto desktops, or the bigwigs want their iPads to glom onto our network.

Windows 7 is great, but it's not built for tablets, that's for sure. I mean, it ain't touch-friendly to have the minimize, maximize, and close functions clustered together up in the corner of the window there, is it? But Windows 8 will be another thing altogether. MS knows that's folks are moving away from desktops to media centers and mobile platforms. Heck, MS is even setting up an app store.

Banshee16

First Post
Microsoft moves at an elephantine pace, coparatively speaking. There's a good reason for this: they're pretty much the only guys in a very large business arena who provide a soup-to-nuts software framework that's viable for both consumer and enterprise. When we talk about consumer tech, it's easy to forget that there's a whole other arena that's vastly lucrative, and neither Android nor iOS are players there. My current gig is that of an IT admin in a shop that's heavily Wintel-oriented, and I cringe when we're steered into deploying Chrome or Firefox onto desktops, or the bigwigs want their iPads to glom onto our network.

Windows 7 is great, but it's not built for tablets, that's for sure. I mean, it ain't touch-friendly to have the minimize, maximize, and close functions clustered together up in the corner of the window there, is it? But Windows 8 will be another thing altogether. MS knows that's folks are moving away from desktops to media centers and mobile platforms. Heck, MS is even setting up an app store.

I 100% agree with you on several of your points here. Regardless of whether they market themselves as suited for the space or not, neither iOS or Android are really suitable for corporate environments. RiM's products are...but they're having major problems with deployment at the moment.

Most of my associates in IT departments dread the inevitable requests to deploy iPhones for staff, because of the lack of corporate control, and insecurity of the platforms as compared to ones like Blackberry that are more secure but "less fun". But Apple's done a masterful job of creating the "I want" attitude...and few people want to carry two phones, so the "I want" product, which tends to be either an iOS or Android phone or tablet, is what the IT departments get pressured into deploying, no matter how incompatible they are with internal security policies. Most of these guys will have an Android or iOS tablet for fun.....but they refuse to use them for work.

Windows 8 could be great.....and I'll keep an open mind. At the moment, I really need to replace my laptop, but I don't want to do that right before an OS transition, because it's never as nice to have an upgrade capable machine as it is to have one built and optimized from the ground up for an OS.

I'd be a lot happier with some of the evolutions of MS products if they'd stop making so many features US-only. As it stands, Media Centre is a glorified MP3 player for me, as the majority of cool stuff about it is turned off in Canada. I went to the extent of getting the better versions of Win7, not realizing that some of those features actually don't even work in my country. I loath regional restrictions.

Windows Phone 7 (Mango) is a lot better than it started.....but admittedly that feeling is just from reading reviews etc. I don't know anyone who owns one, they weren't really there when I last changed phones. There are no decent Windows tablets now, so I went Android. Given how long contracts are in Canada, we'll likely be on Windows Phone 9, and Android Key Lime Pie or something before I'm eligible to change :)

Not sure why you're not a fan of Firefox.....but then, I'm in web development, and many of us (at least among all the developers I work with) loathe IE. Though Mozilla's decision to remove the lock symbol that appears when someone's on a secure page is something that has caused recent headaches.

Banshee

Fast Learner

First Post
Most of my associates in IT departments dread the inevitable requests to deploy iPhones for staff, because of the lack of corporate control
Do you have any specific about their lack of corporate control concerns? Companies have the ability to push apps from their servers, require complex unique device-locked passcodes for all manner of use, remotely wipe any iPhone, set secure access to all manner of corporate resources, configure VPNs, restrict WiFi networks, control email and calendar accounts, and control user (or group) access to a bunch of things, including:

Device functionality
  • Allow installing apps
  • Allow Siri
  • Allow use of camera
  • Allow FaceTime
  • Allow screen capture
  • Allow automatic syncing while roaming
  • Allow voice dialing
  • Allow In-App Purchase
  • Require store password for all purchases
  • Allow multiplayer gaming
  • Allow adding Game Center friends
Applications
  • Allow use of YouTube
  • Allow use of iTunes Store
  • Allow use of Safari
  • Set Safari security preferences
iCloud
  • Allow backup
  • Allow document sync and key-value sync
  • Allow Photo Stream
Security and privacy
  • Allow diagnostic data to be sent to Apple
  • Allow user to accept untrusted certificates
  • Force encrypted backups
Content ratings
  • Allow explicit music and podcasts
  • Set ratings region
  • Set allowed content ratings

I've been involved in several enterprise setups now and we've yet to run into any requirement we couldn't completely meet.

I don't know enough about RIM's security, so I can't compare them, but I will say that we've always managed to completely satisfy the security concerns of the IT departments we've worked with.

Anyway, do you know of any specific issues? I'm genuinely interested. Is it possible that your associates aren't fully informed?

Banshee16

First Post
I've been involved in several enterprise setups now and we've yet to run into any requirement we couldn't completely meet.

I don't know enough about RIM's security, so I can't compare them, but I will say that we've always managed to completely satisfy the security concerns of the IT departments we've worked with.

Anyway, do you know of any specific issues? I'm genuinely interested. Is it possible that your associates aren't fully informed?

I can ask, if you would like. So you can understand where that's coming from. There are several who've all said the same things, and they don't even know each other.

I'm not the network IT guy. I'm good enough to configure my home networks etc. to a level that is probably above 95% of the networks you see in most homes...but from an enterprise standard, I'm not "the guy" :)

I'll clarify a statement I made in my last post.

"I 100% agree with you on several of your points here. Regardless of whether they market themselves as suited for the space or not, <b>based on what I've been advised on the people I depend on to educate me on these matters</b>, neither iOS or Android are really suitable for corporate environments. RiM's products are...but they're having major problems with deployment at the moment."

Now, if Apple allows software firewall installation, a BES style e-mail environment including encryption of emails to and from the server, the ability to silo personal information and contacts added to the phone from business contacts etc., as well as the ability to remotely wipe all business related information without affecting personal information (or vice versa), force strong passwords as opposed to 4-digit unlock, then it would allay some of my personal concerns. But these are my personal concerns....not necessarily espoused by the network admins I tend to consult with.

I know that the iPhone can *support* strong passwords. But I find by default most people go for simple ones.....and with 4 digits, you end up with 1,2,3,4 or 4,3,2,1 etc. Similarly, in companies I've been with in the past, our network admins played an active role trying to break employee passwords any place they were used, with employees being instructed to change passwords when they were broken. This was done on a monthly basis, with monthly enforced password changes etc. As an employee at those times, it was a pain in the butt. I hated it, as several times I forget my strong passwords. But as an employer, yes, I'd expect that level of control.

I did ask one of the guys about it, and he commented about level of control...that it's more granular on Blackberry. He can control pretty much every aspect of the BB (as it should be with a work device). Wiping and enforcing passwords, allowing/disallowing OS version updating by the user, whitelist and blacklist apps, put a certificate on the BB to allow it to connect to a secured wireless network that requires the certificate to allow devices on it, prevent the device from connecting to unapproved wireless networks (ie. a Starbucks), and that the encryption protocols are far stronger, and can't easily be exploited (he claims iPhone encryption can be broken pretty easily). He also referred to "Balance" (which I refer to above), where personal and business information can be stored and treated separately on the same device. You can even do things like prevent business information from being accessed outside of preset hours.....ie. if you have an employee who's supposed to be on leave for a month, you can remotely turn off access to business contacts etc. without taking away his ability to use the phone for personal use.

Those are some of the things he pointed out.

From a business standpoint, I almost prefer the Playbook over an iPad 2....one of the nice features, which, from a consumer perspective has been displayed as a negative is the docking feature....basically, where access to e-mail, calendar etc. is pulled from the tethered Blackberry instead of being native on the tablet. So you can share a tablet among staff who "sign it out", without one person getting access to information they shouldn't have (ie. another person's e-mail). That's a powerful feature.

As someone who's done deployments of iPhones before, can you confirm whether or not a company can build custom apps for the iPhone that can be deployed to that company's iPhones, without having to pass through the Apple vetting process for the App Store? I'm not stating this as something that can or cannot be done with the iPhone. I'm asking if you know the answer, as I personally don't know.

On a personal level as a user, my non-security concerns tend to be related to:

Going from Blackberry to iPhone has felt like a giant step down in terms of e-mail capabilities....I'm not talking security...just usability.

On my Blackberry, if I get an e-mail delivered to me (which happened much quicker/more reliably than on my iPhone), once I've read it and/or replied to it, I had the choice to delete it from my Blackberry, or delete it both from my Blackberry and from the server at the click of a button. I can't seem to do that on iPhone. If I delete an e-mail, it's gone from the server as well.

On my Blackberry, search worked very well. On my iPhone, I can send an e-mail yesterday, and put in keywords from that e-mail into a search I conduct today, and it *won't* find the e-mail....even if I tell it to look on the server also. To me, as a user, this is a nonstarter. Now, maybe there's a way to get this working better, but no iPhone user I've talked to knows a way to do it. They just either say "well, you're not using your phone right", and when I ask them to show me how to use it right, they try it, find they can't do it either, then say "well I don't need that". Which is all great and all, but *I* need that.

Now, there's a Google Apps app that I've downloaded, and *it* can do what I need.....but it's way slower than the default mail interface and more of a pain to navigate.

Again, this is from a user's perspective. As I understand it, iPad has the same characteristics. My Transformer can't do the whole "delete from e-mail or delete from server" thing, but the search is traditional Google search, works very well, and finds whatever I need, even if the e-mail is 18 months old.

If I create an event on my calendar on my desktop, it gets pushed to my iPhone. Which is obviously important. But if I'm at a client's office, and I make a meeting with them on the spot, and book it on my iPhone calendar, it *doesn't* push over to my Google calendar. This is not the case with my Transformer or Blackberry. Whether I book on my mobile device or desktop, all events appear everywhere.

Again, I've been told by the Apple people I've talked with that I'm not using my phone correctly. When they try to show me how to use it correctly, so this doesn't happen, they're unable to....and they say they don't need that feature. Again, I do. This particular issue has led to double booked/missed meetings, before I realized what was going on. Particularly if I have been on the road for a whole day with meetings stacked one after another. If I'm in 4 meetings in a row, with driving time between each, and in the first meeting I book something in my calendar with client#1, then go to 3 more meetings, by the time I get back to the office, I don't always remember to go to my desktop and set the meeting there. Which, a few days later, if I'm sitting at my desk when a 5th client asks for a meeting, can lead to accidental double bookings.

That's either a critical flaw in the usability of their system, from my business needs perspective, or an issue with their phones/OS not being easy enough to configure, as without doing anything special, this has not occurred with either Blackberry or Android. Maybe it's a permissions issue with how Google calendar talks to iOS or something....I'm not sure. All I know is that I didn't have to do anything special with Blackberry or Android to get them to talk to Google Calendar.

The final problem I have is how contact backups are done. After going through the default wizards with iOS, I have found that if I make a change to a contact directly on my handset, and later sync, and my backed up copy has older information on it, the older information actually replaces my corrected information on the phone. I didn't even realize this was going on until after several instances of finding out of date contact information when I tried reaching clients.....finding out that I was using old numbers that couldn't reach them, even after updating them on my phone several times. Again, I was told that I'm not using the phone correctly...but nobody could advise me on how to prevent this problem from happening again. Maybe it's a setting in iTunes or something.....I'm honestly not sure.

Those are three personal findings.....they may seem minor, but as someone on the go, I find them important.

By and large, with iOS 5, Apple resolved several of my other frustrations with using my phone for work. Plus, several hundred posts ago, someone on EN World posted several tips that helped me get around some of the other concerns I had at the time. The three I outlined above are the main usability issues I still have.

Banshee

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
So many fun topics:

Windows8
I've seen and tried out the laptop in a tablet form-factor that MS gave out at the last BUILD conference running Windows8.

The Metro interface is exactly how MS is tackling the touch screen paradigm. If you have an Xbox, you can see it, as the latest FW has it (so does WinMo7)

It makes sense for a touch screen. Not as cool on a non-touch screen.

iOS corporate app development and deployment

My past research has shown that Apple does have a contract you can pay for so you can deploy corporate apps to iOS devices and bypass the AppStore.

iOS contact management
I use Google Sync on all my devices. I have not had a problem with it stale-updating changes if I fix a contact on my iPhone, the change makes to my gmail and my work phone.

I do NOT use the cloud for backing up my maiil or contacts as Google Sync already dioes that and makes it cross-platform (android, iOS, BB and web)

I just received a Galaxy tab 10.1 for my birthday/Christmas. (Actually I received it a couple weeks ago.) Typing this on the tablet is mildly annoying. Why aren't there cursor keys on the virtual keyboard?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Amusing thing about the iPad2's virtual keyboard- it graphically recreates the ridges that appear on real "F" and "J" keys...not that you can feel them, of course.

Janx

Hero
I just received a Galaxy tab 10.1 for my birthday/Christmas. (Actually I received it a couple weeks ago.) Typing this on the tablet is mildly annoying. Why aren't there cursor keys on the virtual keyboard?

i hate not having arrrow keys on iThing as well. You are suppsosed to tap on the text to move the cursor. Except it only moves to the end of the word. Not the middle. where the typo is. So you have to delete darn near the whole word and retype it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads