D&D (2024) Things You Think Would Improve the Game That We WON'T See

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
What are some changes to the game that you think would improve it that we WON'T see in the new 2024 releases? And why won't we see them?
The elevation of bard to its proper place in the class hierarchy: about 4th or 5th from the top.

. . . mostly, it's all MOAR POWER. So my dislike of that is behind a lot of what I would like to see.
Which is the same technique that Pathfinder used to pull players away from 3.5. But don't worry. It's not a new edition.

Horwath

Legend
Removing all base classes except the Core Four, and rolling them all into subclasses.

Mage: Artificer, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Priest: Cleric, Druid, Paladin
Sneak: Bard, maybe Ranger, Rogue
Warrior: Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, maybe Ranger
full caster, d6, no base armor; 1st-9th level spells, extra attack at level 11
2/3rd caster, d8, light base armor: 1st-7th level spells, extra attacks at levels 9,17
1/2 caster, d10, medium base armor: 1st-5th level spells, extra attacks at levels 7,13,19
martial, d12, heavy base armor, extra attack at levels 5,9,13,17

skilled character can take 2 skills for every armor category lost.
Lore bard/scout rogue and similar skill subclasses can be global for taking.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Unlocking subclasses could be interesting, too. A mage who takes the "Warlock" subclass would be very different from a mage who takes the "Monk" subclass, or a mage with the "Paladin" subclass.

I’m still planting my flag firmly in the “Sorcerers should use CON rather than CHA” hill and I’m not backing down. After all, their magic comes from within them; it’s a part of their life essence. That screams Constitution to me.
I think there is room for Cha and Con to work together, just like Monk needs Dex and Wis, but a SAD class that only needs Con? That's not going to work. That is too SAD.

mellored

Legend
yeah, they are really bending backwards to keep scores in the game with "requirements"
if it's 13, just say +1 or +2
Backwards compatibility, yes. They can't change the underlying numbers.
removing ASIs from later levels.
and/or
capping scores at 18(+4)
Not too hard to house rule that one if you want.
Just increase your proficiency bonus by 1 to make up the difference.
fixed healing from spells from lvl1
What do you mean by fixed?
Like cure wounds healing for 10?

Personal, I prefer something closer to 4e version. Where tougher targets got more than squishy ones. It makes more sense IMO.

I.e.
Healing Word.
Target regains two hit dice and can immediately spend them. They gain the minimum amount (minimum 1 per die).

Cure wounds.
Target regains an two hit dice and can immediately spend them. They gain the maximum amount.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Wait... so the class known for music is... a sneak?
Only if the Sneak class takes the Bard subclass. It would be a good way to build the archetypical "rogue, but moreso" D&D character.

What if the Mage takes the Bard subclass? What would that look like? I'm imagining something along the lines of the Wishsong in the Shannara novels, or Sabriel in the Garth Nix novels.

Or what about a Warrior that takes the Bard subclass? That gives off some strong "skald" vibes, maybe even the Shout feature in Skyrim.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Barbarian resistences expanded in the base class to include acid, cold, fire, poison, at level 6, and then again to include lightning, radiant, necrotic, and again at level 11 with lightning, necrotic, radiant, thunder, and then finally all damage at level 17.
Bear Barbarians can have Con Mod DR, rather than expanded resistence.

More reactions. Maybe some classes get a bonus action feature that gives them an extra reaction they can use before the start of thier next turn, but tbh I’d rather just go to 1 reaction per turn.

Fighter base class get a pool of dice, you can add one to the damage of an attack when you hit. It’s a d4 and scales up. Battle master gets more of these dice, scales them faster, and adds maneuvers on top of the bonus damage.
This would not make the champion meaningfully less simple. You add a die of damage when you hit. No one is confused by that.

Remove ads