D&D 3E/3.5 Thoughts of a 3E/4E powergamer on starting to play 5E

pemerton

Legend
I've played in multiple systems in multiple formats over the last few years, and quite a few, a majority really, of players simply use "I roll Diplomacy" and throw the dice as their stated action. 4e was pretty bad about it (but not the worst) since the outcomes were more codified than in a lot of systems, so a player knew the DM had to give them a limited set of results when they rolled. So, roll they did.
I think you might be misremembering the 4e Diplomacy rules.

From the PHB, p 183:

You can influence others with your tact, subtlety, and social grace. Make a Diplomacy check to change opinions, to inspire good will, to haggle with a patron, to demonstrate proper etiquette and decorum, or to negotiate a deal in good faith.

A Diplomacy check is made against a DC set by the DM. The target’s general attitude toward you (friendly or unfriendly, peaceful or hostile) and other conditional modifiers (such as what you might be seeking to accomplish or what you’re asking for) might apply to the DC. Diplomacy is usually used in a skill challenge that requires a number of successes, but the DM might call for a Diplomacy check in other situations.​

From the RC, 142:

Creatures use the Diplomacy skill to influence others using tact, subtlety, and social grace. (Monsters rarely make Diplomacy checks.) Make a Diplomacy check to change opinions, inspire good will, haggle with a merchant, demonstrate proper etiquette and decorum, or negotiate a deal in good faith.

* Action: Standard action. A Dungeon Master might allow a creature to make a Diplomacy check as a free action.

* DC: The Dungeon Master sets the DC using the Difficulty Class by Level table. The target’s attitude (friendly or unfriendly, peaceful or hostile) and other temporary modifiers (such as what the creature performing the check is seeking to accomplish) might apply to the DC. The DC might also be affected by the number of targets the creature is trying to influence at once.

* Success: The creature achieves the desired influence. This might be the first of several successes - perhaps part of a skill challenge - required to fully influence a target.​

There are no "codified outcomes". In the PHB, at least, it's also fairly clearly implied that the GM is the one who actually calls for a check, based on the fictional position of the PC and the declared action of the player. DC setting is clearly in the GM's court, based on the DC-by-level chart and having regard to the relevant fictional considerations. (This is the standard way of setting a DC in 4e.)

Not a crazy idea. But, if you're optimizing for survival, what do you do? Optimize for known quantities, the sub-systems in the game that are well defined, or for those that are less-well defined or harder to quantify?

If you're asking me, I'll tell you to build in defense in depth, with a special emphasis on resilience in the face of bad luck and the ability to recover from tactical surprise. Not surprise in the D&D sense of "you cannot act on the first round of combat" but real, "surprise occurs in the mind of a commander" surprise like "this peaceful parlay in an abandoned hut just turned into a murderfest of teleporting demons." Some things you can't do anything about, and then you just have to die hard, but given the way 5E rules are and the patterns in the MM stats, one general guideline is that "nothing Dashes faster than 160' per round, and most things only Dash 60'" which leads directly to "control risk by being good at withdrawal/exfiltration; and you're pretty good at if you're able to run away at speeds exceeding 60'. Also try to be pretty good at hiding."

Let me ask you this: why wouldn't you build a retreat & exfiltration capability into a survival-oriented PC? There's so many ways to do it that you'd almost have to go out of your way to make all of them infeasible against MM-quality opposition.

Each individually, yes. How they'd work when you're trying to get your party to safety from an encounter gone bad, not always so much.

Oh, I'm not overly concerned with my current more-or-less regular group, whom I might have occasion to 'train' that way, that campaign's fairly railroady as it is.

I just made a much broader observation about D&D, in general, for the 36 year's I've been exposed to it not having much in the way of sub-systems to make escaping an encounter a viable options, and the closely linked observation that PC parties rarely try to escape. I consider the two to be related, obviously.

Sure, there's plenty of spells &c that might be used to try to escape an encounter gone bad, depending on the circumstance and the DM, whether in 5e or in prior editions. But there's not a sub-system as comparatively consistent as the combat round to use them w/in or optimize them for. It's much the same problem the game has historically had in the interaction 'pillar,' as well, only 'just RP it' isn't quite as a good a dodge.

I don't get it, Tony. There are many excellent ways to run away built into the combat system, and of course additional ways possible out of combat. You keep saying that your experience is that you can't run away effectively in 5E, but have you ever actually tried and failed in a way that wouldn't be fixed by a bit more advance planning?

S

Sunseeker

There are no "codified outcomes". In the PHB, at least, it's also fairly clearly implied that the GM is the one who actually calls for a check, based on the fictional position of the PC and the declared action of the player. DC setting is clearly in the GM's court, based on the DC-by-level chart and having regard to the relevant fictional considerations. (This is the standard way of setting a DC in 4e.)

5E even almost word for word uses the first line from the 4E PHB and then combines it with a slightly reworded phrasing of some of the examples from the 3E Diplomacy entry.

I think you might be misremembering the 4e Diplomacy rules.

When he says 4e was "not the worst" I assumed he was referring to 3E diplomacy. I never played 3E but I ran across this gem the other day: apparently 3E actually defined a set DC for turning a hostile creature into a friendly creature in a single action (DC 60), leading immediately to all kinds of insanely broken cheese. (http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/advanced-rules/diplomacy-design.html)

And that is why impossible actions do not deserve to have DCs.

Mathilda

Explorer
Because I want to know how something is going to work in advance, so I can make an informed decision. If I am dealing with codified rules, I can do this. If it depends on DM discretion, I can't know in advance since the DM's mind is hidden from me, and I can't make an informed decison.

Now, rules can't cover everything, and a certain level of DM discretion is inevitable, but it's a sliding scale. You can have more or you can have less. I prefer less.

There is no way you will be able to know how everything works in advance.... too many things in game have ETV.

The best you can do is ask the DM how he or she will judge a specific event or spell or whatever before play, then adapt to that judgement during play.

As a side note... overall it really does not matter, you are playing in organized play... any decent character played by competent player should overcome all obstacles in front of them.

feartheminotaur

First Post
Diplomacy was just an example*. My post was about players who mistake rolling the dice at their choosing being "player agency". It was because players believed the system worked like their powers: they did this and there was a set outcome. I have an action, and DM call or not, I'm taking it to roll.

Your example merely proves that point. Action? That's the player's call. "I use my action to make a diplomacy check to convince that guard to let us by". Look at the quoted text. "The Dungeon Master sets the DC using the Difficulty Class by Level table". Players know their level. They know the DCs. Heck, they might even have the table in front of them. Barring an outrageous DC modifier (which, the DM could do, but then becomes a whole other issue), they know what the roll has to be. Nothing in that says the DM calls for the roll. Nothing.

It's an action, and it has a defined outcome: "Success: The creature achieves the desired influence." That right there? That is a defined, codified outcome. There is nothing like that in the 5e PHB. No text that a player can point to and say "see, if I succeed this, by rule, has to happen". And I think that's an improvement.

No frost-cheese radiant mafia built around lordduskblade's sky blue recommendations is going to buy "implied the DM calls for the check" (ie RAI) over what's on the page "Action: Roll, Success = I achieve my stated goal " (ie RAW).

Was that what was intended? Probably not. Was that the way the game played out at the number of real and virtual tables I sat at? You bet.

And, don't mistake me for being part of the pointless edition war nonsense in this thread - as a tactical wargamer I loved 4e and only stopped playing because my group wanted to and DDI ain't free (or supported much). I see some of the same problems in 5e games I play.

*For the record, the skill I saw used in an "you have to give me the auto-win" in 4e was Intimidate (against a bloodied opponent). I played several games on roll20 where the second a creature became bloodied, which ever Charisma monkey was playing would immediately make an Intimidate roll.

Last edited:

happyhermit

Adventurer
I strongly disagree. 3E was the biggest tent D&D ever had, and I'd argue that 1E/2E was a bigger tent than 5E as well.
.../QUOTE]

Ever run theater of the mind combat in 3e... No?

Well then excuse me if I don't take your word as fact on how big that tent was. Sure, it could be squeezed into better than 4e, but it wasn't comfy let me tell you. :erm:

I would argue that 5e probably has the biggest "tent" that D&D has designed, based on the fact that it isn't actively hostile to any style of play that D&D has ever catered to. Especially when one takes into account optional rules in the DMG.

Now, it wouldn't actually bother me if certain play-style were discouraged necessarily... but 5e really doesn't.

I just made a much broader observation about D&D, in general, for the 36 year's I've been exposed to it not having much in the way of sub-systems to make escaping an encounter a viable options, and the closely linked observation that PC parties rarely try to escape. I consider the two to be related, obviously.

I find this very interesting actually. You seem to like more codified rule-sets and 4e in particular (I could be wrong but it seems like that is what you have been saying). You also mention that there is not a "good" codified system for "escaping" in D&D. Then you say the most interesting things, you "rarely" see PCs try to escape. That sounded like crazy talk to me, but it makes sense now that I think about it.

On the other hand, I (and players I interact with most) much prefer a more open rule-set, where the expectation is that the vast majority of things that PCs can do will not be written down or codified. I don't think I have EVER been involved in even a relatively short campaign of D&D where the party didn't flee/tactically retreat/choose to not engage the enemy in some way. Usually this happens relatively frequently.

Given the two seemingly very different experiences and preferred play styles (which again I may be wrong and you prefer 5e) This leads me to believe that rather than the lack of rule-sets being responsible for the lack of something happening, it seems that the more logical conclusion would be that it is due to different attitudes toward the rules.

Granted, it may very well be more than just attitude towards rules. For example, my preferred play/GM style is one that does not make the world "level appropriate" to any substantial degree. Dragons don't just spawn into the worlds that I prefer as they fall within the appropriate challenge rating. So, in other words, players know that there are things they just can't beat in straight up combat so they either avoid them, find a non-combat solution, find a non-traditional combat solution, or die.

Lack of rules for any of those things is no hindrance to us; GM explains the situation, players ask any questions they need to know (is there an "x", how difficult would it be to "y") players tell the GM what their characters want to attempt, this situation is resolved ie; players roll, etc.

Last edited:

feartheminotaur

First Post
When he says 4e was "not the worst" I assumed he was referring to 3E diplomacy...And that is why impossible actions do not deserve to have DCs.

Indeed, the assumption that skill rolls were auto-wins "Yo, no way the King can beat my DC! He has to hand over his crown, queen and kingdom!" started in 3e, 4e just made the mistake of putting in the compendium (which is what everyone I've ever played 4e with used) "if you succeed on the roll your stated outcome happens". While not bad per se, it is unique, and as such presents unique compatibility issues between DMs and Players who are conditioned to that roll/reward system and those that aren't.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
On the running away: The scenario was during an ambush, not 2/3 into a fight that has gone horribly wrong.

Ambushes are bad. You are fighting at a time and a place of the enemy's choosing. Clearly the enemy thinks it has a good chance of winning, otherwise they would have left the party pass - 3 grubby goblins aren't going to attack a group of 6 heavily armed and *dangerous looking* travelers. The enemy has chosen this position for the ability to strike by surprise but also because the position is advantageous - it has features which protect the ambushers or hinder the party. The enemy is ready with all their gear and magic at hand.

Unless this is one of those particularly dastardly ambush where the escape route has been cut off, sheer common sense demands a fighting withdrawal. The enemy has you *where it wants you* and thinks it will win. Why on earth would you want to play that game?!? Get out, now. Don't wait to see. Even if all you do is back off a bit - and hoping the enemy will foolishly pursue (right into your fireball) - you might at leas get even grounds vs the murder gauntlet.

So... Why do PCs often *not* run from this situation? Well...

1: The players are dumb. Maybe, but probably not.
2: The DM plays the ambushers stupidly - as in they are launching attacks on people they really shouldn't, they don't ask themselves "can we win?" - AND the players know this.
3: The players are metagaming. "Surely the DM wouldn't set a deadly ambush on our way to the great dungeon of doom? This is just a "warm up fight", we can take this".

So it's not an edition problem, it's a bad gaming problem.

pemerton

Legend
By the way, somebody compared 4e to Dungeon World but I really struggle with that comparison.

Dungeon World has even fewer specific abilities than 5e. Almost everything you do (or try to do) falls under a very general/broad skill, like "Defy Danger" or "Spout Lore", and every character can use any of them. The DM then has nearly unlimited authority to interpret the dice results.
I only vaguely recall the post you mention, but it may have been in reference to how constrained the DM is with regard to the rules. Dungeon World GMs are very constrained by D&D standards. The rules in the GM section of the Dungeon World specifically say how the agenda, principles, moves, fronts, etc. are a prescription for how they are to run the game rather than tips or guidelines on how best to play. A common perception is that D&D 4e DMs are constrained in a similar fashion and, while I find this to be true in practice (even when I run D&D 4e), it's not true by the rules.
Of posters on this board, I think the one who has the most to say about similarities between GMing 4e and GMing DW is [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION].

On the player/PC build side, I would point to class/character abilities that are designed to deliver thematic/archetypical outcomes rather than model ingame causal processes. (In 5e terms, stuff like (say) action surge or second wind but more of it, with greater width and depth.)

On the GM side, I would point to the whole orientation towards framing "entry points" rather than outcomes, and "playing to see what happens".

I also think it is a bit misleading to say that "a Dungeon World GM has almost unlimited authority to interpret the dice results". That doesn't convey how DW is meant to be run. (And saying the same thing about a 4e GM adjudicating a skill challenge would be similarly misleading.) The GM is expected to interpret the dice results having very close regard to the fictional positioning of the character, the broader fictional context, the player's stated intent for his/her PC, the thematic/genre context, etc, always pushing towards conflict and towards clear stakes that speak to the players' (and PCs') expressed concerns.

Another fantasy RPG that resembles DW in this sort of way (and hence whose GMing advice is very helpful for 4e!) is Burning Wheel. The key stricture that BW states for GMs is lifted straight from another Vincent Baker game, Dogs in the Vineyard, and is expressly labelled "Vincent's Admonition" (see eg BW Gold, p 72): say yes or roll the dice. Luke Crane glosses it in this way:

When there is conflict, roll the dice. There is no social agreement for the resolution of conflict in this game. Roll the dice and let the obstacle system guide the outcome. Success or failure doesn’t really matter. So long as the intent of the task is clearly stated, the story is going somewhere.​

That is good advice for 4e too, in my view. (Though 4e uses very different conventions for setting DCs/obstacles, which make it much less gritty than BW.)

I think we're using "player agency" much differently. It seems like you are using it to mean "range of available mechanical options".

So if, in 4e, a player doesn't have that particular daily ability, wouldn't he/she have to play "Mother May I?" in order to try it? And what would the DM say? "No", right? So that's absence of player agency (by your apparent definition).

Is there a move in 4e that allows a player to stab an enemy in the eye, messing with their depth perception and giving them a penalty to range shots? (Sorry, I'm not familiar with 4e so I don't know what whacky abilities are in there.) So if a player wants to do that, and the DM gets to decide yes/no, that's lack of player agency?

That's a very weird definition of player agency.

I use "player agency" to mean "the player and nobody else decides what the player does and thinks".
In the last sentence, should the third occurence of player read character?

When I talk about player agency, I mean the ability of the player to shape (or "impact") the shared fiction. In some D&D games, the player has little such capacity - s/he can decide the feelings of his/her PC, and perhaps choose clothing, hair colour, etc, but the way the rest of the fiction unfolds is determined (either in advance, or in play) by the GM. (In the Alexandrian's node-based design variant of this, the player might get to decide the sequence in which a series of predetermined fictional events unfolds, and thereby perhaps change the peripheral colour of some of those events, while not changing their core content or significance.)

In another recent thread, I tried to explain an idea around a certain sort of very limited player agency, in which the players get to choose the sequence and rate of resource expenditure over the course of play, but not much else (see around post 262ff, and the comparison of certain play approaches to solving sudoku or crossword puzzles).

In other D&D games, the players have a lot of capacity to change the fiction that goes beyond their characters - not primarily by abilities around backstory introduction (which, as I posted upthread, is fairly uncommon in D&D) but via action declaration for their PCs. I would describe this as the players having a lot of agency. I think classic Gygaxian D&D featured this sort of player agency, although the fictional situations that were in play were very narrow and somewhat artificial in scope (the dungeon). I think 4e is also well-suited to play in which players have this sort of agency.

Some approaches to "GM empowerment" can be an obstacle to this sort of agency, because if the GM cannot be bound by the outcomes of player action declarations for their PCs, then the players can't really impact the fiction - all they can do is try to persuade the GM (which is the "social agreement for resolution of conflict" that Luke Crane expressly eschews in the passage quoted above).

I don't know 4e well so I'm not sure what's in there and what isn't, but I'll hazard a guess that Paladins still had Detect Evil rather than Divine Sense. (Even if I don't have that right, this example should be illustrative.)

So in 4e if a Paladin said "I'll stare into the cave and see if I can sense the presence of any Fey" the DM might say "No way."

But in 5e the Paladin just declares "I'm using my Divine Sense" and roleplays it out.

And even if there isn't a single thing you can do in 5e that it's in 4e, there are still a universe of possible actions that aren't in either game. So the difference is a matter of degree and not a fundamental distinction.
It's hard to convey what is distinctive about 4e in this respect - but its depth of player resources, and its tight guidelines on setting DCs and adjudicating consequences, encourage a very different approach to improvised actions from traditional or even 3E D&D.

This old post talks about this:

This example is made up, but is very close to some real play from my 4e game.

The PCs are investigating an old catacomb. One of them is a plading of the Raven Queen. The player of that PC says "I'm looking out for any signs of Orcus infestation, and trying to sense if his evil influence is present".

In a simulationist game, the GM consults his/her notes, or perhaps rolls an encounter check. In a scene-framing game, the default answer to the player's question is "You see a niche with a statute in it. It's of Orcus." Or, perhaps,"Yes, he's here. [Roll d10] Take 5 psychic damage as the sense of evil ovewhelms you!"

What does the statue mean? What is the focus of Orcus's malign presence? That's to be worked out by the GM and players in the course of play: the little narration I described has framed the scene (it's a non-combat one involving the presence of Orcus in the catacomb) and now it's up to the players to engage it via their PCs.

As [MENTION=463]S'mon[/MENTION] pointed out in that thread (I think - or another thread around the same time), in 4e imposing an ad hoc d10 of damage (at 1st level) or an ad hoc 4d12 (at 30th level) is not the sort of punishment that it would be in other versions of D&D. For this sort of reason, that follows from the extent of player resources, the GM can be far more loose, and in many respects more permissive, in setting stakes for checks and finding out what happens.

I think 5e, at least from say 3rd level or above (once PCs aren't so fragile) might be amenable to being drifted in this sort of direction, but its resource structure (asymmetric across classes both in recovery times and in reliance on GM adjudication between spells and non-spells) could make it harder. I'm sure that [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION] or S'mon could speak more to this if they have the time and inclination.

EDIT: This seems relevant to the topic of player agency:

Your example merely proves that point. Action? That's the player's call. "I use my action to make a diplomacy check to convince that guard to let us by". Look at the quoted text. "The Dungeon Master sets the DC using the Difficulty Class by Level table". Players know their level. They know the DCs. Heck, they might even have the table in front of them. Barring an outrageous DC modifier (which, the DM could do, but then becomes a whole other issue), they know what the roll has to be. Nothing in that says the DM calls for the roll. Nothing.

It's an action, and it has a defined outcome: "Success: The creature achieves the desired influence." That right there? That is a defined, codified outcome.
To my mind, I don't see how it could be otherwise: if succeeding on a check doesn't result in the player (and PC) achieving the desired outcome, then what was the check for?

The question is not strictly rhetorical - I think there are various answers that can be given.

What I think 4e has in common with DW, BW and similar games, though, is that the whole point of a check is to determine whether the fiction changes in the way the player wanted (if the check succeeds) or some other undesired way (if the check fails, and hence the GM gets to narrate the unhappy outcome).

As for "Yo, no way the King can beat my DC! He has to hand over his crown, queen and kingdom!" - that is all about framing checks. What is within the scope of a Diplomacy check? What is within the scope of an Athletics check (eg what is the DC to jump from the earth to the moon)? 4e doesn't answer that question directly - it is left for the GM and table more generally to establish organically. In my game, at 16th level, I allowed an Endurance check by the player of the dwarven fighter/cleric to test whether the PC could stick his hands into a forge to hold an artefact steady as the artificers tried to grasp it with their tongs so as to reforge it. The rulebooks don't set a DC for that: rather, they tell us (in broad terms) what it means to be a mid-paragon tier PC, and I as a GM then extrapolated at my table by reference to those broad terms in conjunction with the details of our play.

Is it a permissible check for a 1st level PC to try to persuade a King to hand over crown and kingdom? No - the description of the tiers makes that pretty clear. What about a 21st level PC? Depending on the details, a check may not even be required - the GM might just "say yes" because, in the fiction, it makes no sense that the king would even think about saying no to a demigod.

To my mind, that's pretty much the opposite of "codified results", accept for the basic principle that once the check is framed, then if the roll is a success the desired outcome occurs.

LostSoul had a good post, a while ago now, on this particular feature of 4e:

I think this has to do with the relationship between colour and the reward system in 4E. How the imagined content in the game changes in 4E as the characters gain levels isn't quite the same as it is in 3E. I am not going to pretend to have a good grasp of how this works in either system, but my gut says: in 4E the group defines the colour of their campaign as they play it; in 3E it's established when the campaign begins.

That's kind of confusing... let me see if I can clarify as I work this idea out for myself.

In 3E, climbing a hewn rock wall is DC 25. That doesn't change as the game is played (that is, as fiction is created, the game world is explored, and characters grow). Just because it's DC 120 to balance on a cloud doesn't mean that characters can't attempt it at 1st level; they'll just always fail. The relationship between colour and the reward system doesn't change over time: you know that, if you can score a DC 120 balance check, you can balance on clouds; a +1 to your Balance check brings you that much closer to success.

In 4E, I think the relationship between colour and the reward system changes: you don't know what it will mean, when you first start playing, to make a Hard Level 30 Acrobatics check. Which means that gaining levels doesn't have a defined relationship with what your PC can do in the fiction - just because your Acrobatics check has increased by 1, it doesn't mean you're that much closer to balancing on a cloud. I think the group needs to define that for themselves; as far as I can tell, this is supposed to arise organically through play, and go through major shifts as Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies enter the game.

Last edited:

Remove ads