D&D 5E To much 5th edition content?

To me, although I'd like to see an actual swordmage, there's already at least three subclasses that are different takes on the concept. The Eldritch Knight, the Bladesinger, the Hexblade/Pact of the Sword, and arguably the battlesmith artificer one or both of the Soulknight and Eldritch Trickster rogues.
That's what I mean about too much content and missing content at the same time.

5e has hordes of arcane gishes. Piles of them heaped on each other. And yet every single one of them fails to fill the niche in as unique and fun way as the 4e swordmage did.

Vael

Legend
5e is at this weird point where I think it's full of bloat and inconsistencies, while simultaneously missing certain things still.
Yeah, and while I agree with WotC about not adding too many classes to the game, I think they've been too conservative. Only the Artificer since 5e debuted? There are a few character concepts that have been ill fits as subclasses of existing classes.

S'mon

Legend
Something else. CR and such are taking D&D in a direction I (personally) don't want to see it go.
I don't watch CR, so I'm wondering what direction CR specifically is pushing D&D? The short clips of CR I have watched seemed fairly 'normal D&D' to me, my impression was even a bit old school in places (restricted resurrection, GM fiated falling damage...) whereas something like the recent 'Strixhaven Barristas Adventure' seems way out there. Players who have come to my table (real or VTT) via CR tend to be more into in-character acting than the others, but their expectations don't seem wildly out of whack.

Yeah, and while I agree with WotC about not adding too many classes to the game, I think they've been too conservative. Only the Artificer since 5e debuted? There are a few character concepts that have been ill fits as subclasses of existing classes.
Yeah I like the less classes approach as a whole but it's been way too little for my liking. Swordmage, warlord, psion, and maybe a summoner.

I used to be against a summoner class but Pathfinder 2e did it well. You're not summoning hordes, you're summoning a single creature which you improve as you level.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't watch CR, so I'm wondering what direction CR specifically is pushing D&D? The short clips of CR I have watched seemed fairly 'normal D&D' to me, my impression was even a bit old school in places (restricted resurrection, GM fiated falling damage...) whereas something like the recent 'Strixhaven Barristas Adventure' seems way out there. Players who have come to my table (real or VTT) via CR tend to be more into in-character acting than the others, but their expectations don't seem wildly out of whack.
Critical Role is pretty normal D&D, with DM performance practice influenced by 2e, 3E, and Pathfinder (their home game was Pathfinder for years until shortly before they began airing it publically). They are really into plot and character, I suppose, but no more so than any group I've personally experienced. They aren't even that young.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Critical Role is pretty normal D&D, with DM performance practice influenced by 2e, 3E, and Pathfinder (their home game was Pathfinder for years until shortly before they began airing it publically).
They do have their own twists here and there, or so I'm given to understand (I don't watch the show). Didn't the Blood Hunter (affiliate link) class that Matt Mercer made come from CR?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm a little leary of the accelerated product schedule, and even though I've bought every book up to now except Acquisitions Incorporated, I have felt for a while I will need to be more choosy. But theyn they keep dropping stuff that I want..

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They do have their own twists here and there, or so I'm given to understand (I don't watch the show). Didn't the Blood Hunter (affiliate link) class that Matt Mercer made come from CR?
Nope, though he made it, and it later appeared on Critical Role. It started as a homebrew for Vin Diesel, so that he could play his Last Witch Hunter character in a promo video run by Mercer. Mercer then expanded on it, and at least one player has run one now.

One of the things about the show that is fun is that the twists aren't in how the game is run, or the world building, both of which are pretty normal: it's the fun the crew has together as friends goofing off and riffing that is infectious.

Remove ads