Too scared to DM!

Just an idea I didn't see anyone else mention.

Consider trying a co-DM idea. Maybe one of the S'mon or StalkingBlue or someone else entirely could use an extra set of eyes, ears, or hands. This works better with a large group, more than 6.

S'mon

Legend
randomling said:
Don't get your hopes up on that count - where would be the fun in a setting where you couldn't die? :p The general atmosphere will be heroic-fantasy-ish and probably somewhat less odds-against-the-PCs than Midnight, and I'm certainly hoping for a more lighthearted atmosphere. Though I don't think "sunny" is quite the word, and "nonlethal" certainly won't be if you get in with/across the wrong crowds...

:) Sounds cool!
I think even Borderlands is a bit less odds-against-the-PCs than Midnight is; in Borderlands you generally have a choice whether or not to take on the hideously powerful BBEGs. I guess in Midnight you do too, but _every_ opponent group tends to be as tough or tougher than the PCs, certainly every 'mission objective', ie encounters average +4 or more EL over Party Level, so it feels very very tough even though SB downplays the resource-allocation/husbanding stuff a bit.

S'mon

Legend
enworldatemylogin said:
Just an idea I didn't see anyone else mention.

Consider trying a co-DM idea. Maybe one of the S'mon or StalkingBlue or someone else entirely could use an extra set of eyes, ears, or hands. This works better with a large group, more than 6.

Well, me & SB would like to be players so we can play on the same team for once! :) - But of course we could do assigned duties like tracking initiative, rules-lookup, arbitrate square-counting if using the D&D combat rules, that kind of thing. If desired, that would argue for using rules we were familiar with.

DMing nerves

randomling said:
Fourth reason is that I'm just not confident enough. :\

The solution is probably not to DM for the group - but I have some great ideas that I'd like to play with and I think this group (well most of it!) would take really well to the kind of game I've got in mind. Does anybody have a magic potion of confidence, or failing that, some tips on how to bolster my self esteem, look slick when I'm not sure where to go next, or outwit players with law degrees and PhDs? :eek:

Thanks!
Ramdomling, I have no advice but I just want to say that I feel your anxiety. I will be taking over our current game as GM in a month because our current DM is burned out. I am very nervous for 3 reasons:

1. I have NEVER DMed before.
2. Because the party will have no healer, I will have to run a DMPC healer in addition to managing my first game.
3. The group is 8th level.

I am nervous about this. Someone on the 3rd edition board mentioned that I have my work cut out for me and another person on the WoTC board said that unless I am the most innately gifted GM ever, the campaign will be a disaster. But I am going to try anyway and hope people will understand.

Last edited:

Dirigible

Explorer
Does anybody have a magic potion of confidence...

Beer.

I'm sure wiser and shinier heads have already weighed in with advice both mighty and... wise..., so here's what I can tell you.

A few months ago, I was in grave doubt of my GMing skills. Perhaps I was suffering from burnout. Anyway, after a fairly full gaming session, I was called on to GM something to fill in the remaining time. With a mere two minutes thought, I came up with an idea which I developed on the fly as we played.

It turned out to be the best session I'd GMed in a year or more. I pulled in old plot threads, made some surprisingly deep NPCs off the top of my head, and turned it all into a murder mystery. There was no combat (except wrestling a drunk surgeon to stop him performing an appendectomy...) Great fun was had all around.

The point being, the only thing that will show you how good a GM you are is doing it, and doing it well. Don't worry that you might not be as good as one of the others; everyone has a style and aspects of that style will be better or at least intriguingly different enough that the players will enjoy it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go scrub the taste of psychobabble out of my mouth.

randomling

First Post
S'mon said:
:) Sounds cool!
I think even Borderlands is a bit less odds-against-the-PCs than Midnight is; in Borderlands you generally have a choice whether or not to take on the hideously powerful BBEGs. I guess in Midnight you do too, but _every_ opponent group tends to be as tough or tougher than the PCs, certainly every 'mission objective', ie encounters average +4 or more EL over Party Level, so it feels very very tough even though SB downplays the resource-allocation/husbanding stuff a bit.
Oh definitely. :)

Hundred Isles certainly isn't a setting where you're going to be warding off near-certain doom at every step like Midnight, any more than Borderlands is! Then again, not a Disney movie, either.... ;)

Ogre Mage - GOOD LUCK! :D

randomling

First Post
OK, I've officially gone from "this is a terrifying prospect" to "why do I have to do work instead of plan my game?!"

I've started a couple of threads in House Rules to help me plan the game, and that'll probably be backed up with a resurrection of the old Hundred Isles thread that I started ages ago. (S'mon, StalkingBlue, Tallarn, and the rest of the Borderlands/Midnight group are to STAY OUT of that thread!)

And I will no doubt come back and tell everybody how the first session goes - in a couple of months when I finally get around to running it. :)

In the meantime, anyone have more tips and/or ideas for inexperienced GMs?

Crothian

First Post
Play to your strengths, be confidant, have fun....I'm not suire what advice hasn't been covered but it seems like you are off to a good start.

Mystic_23

First Post
Hey Randomling,

I know I'm a bit late in this, but I know exactly where you're coming from. I am currently running a Star Wars D20 game. It's kinda scary because the guy who typically GM's for us (who I consider one of the best GM's I've ever had) is in the game.

If S'mon and StalkingBlue are like him (and from reading their posts, it sounds like they are) you won't have any problem with them. I think most good GM's are willing to help less exprienced GM's because the more people that GM a game the more they will be able to play every now and again. (Wow...I used GM too many times in that sentence.)

My advice is to have fun. Don't get stressed out about it. Watch your players' reactions. If a plot hook or idea peaks your player's interest, no matter how unimportant it really is, make sure it is an important part of the game. If one of your major plots seems to bore the players, downplay it. Don't be afraid to change the game to suit the players. The opposite side of that coin is also important. If the players dodge a scene that you were looking forward to, try to find a way to sneak it back in. Remember, you're here to have fun too.

As others have said, if you get stuck with something, don't be afraid to stop the game for a few minutes to organize your thoughts. I've even gone so far as to tell the players that I'm stuck and need a few minutes. They're usually pretty willing to give it a few minutes and socialize while I figure things out.

I don't know if this advice is all that helpful, but I hope you at least give it a try. Gamemastering can be a fun, rewarding experience. It's not for everyone, but it sounds like, on some level, you want to do it. You may not realize it, but since you have 2 good GM's who are willing to play in your game, you're in a great position to learn how to GM properly and make it fun for everyone.

Have fun

StalkingBlue

First Post
randomling said:
...Further details guys - though I should start a thread on my boards really - it will be a homebrew, an archipelago-type setting called the Hundred Isles. Not 100% decided on the rules yet, but I've got a borrowed copy of Swashbuckling Adventures (Seventh Sea d20) and S'mon's copy of Conan. :eek: (Give that back on Thursday, I will!) Between those two, I should be able to come up with something fairly serviceable.

(It's a monotheistic setting with some "fringe deities" so I want divine, druidic and voodoo magic with different flavours to them. Plus probably fey magics which will be different again.)

Sounds great!

(Did reply to that one earlier, dunno why my post isn't anywhere - sorry about seeing delay!)

Remove ads