Transmuter's Telekenetic Fist - Deliver Touch Spells?

Swedish Chef

Adventurer
I've recently started playing in a Pathfinder game. We're all new to the rules (although we've played 3.5e for a number of years) and some of the small changes are making life interesting.

I'm playing a Transmuter for this game (necromancy and enchantment spells are my prohibited schools). One of the new powers for a Wizard specializing in Transmutation is the power of Telekenetic Fist. It is a ranged touch attack that can deal 1d4 (+1 every 5 levels, max +5). I've checked the Core rule book and the SRD, but I can't find the answer to my question.

Can it be used to deliver a touch spell via range? The description neither explicitly denies it nor does it acknowledge it.

Squire James

First Post
Given that the "deliver touch spell" effect is the primary purpose of Spectral Hand, a level 2 spell (it lasts several minutes, but only delivers spells of level 4 or lower), I'd be inclined to say no. This kind of ability is important enough that I think it needs to be explicitly granted (like it is for familiars and animal companions, for instance).

Of course, Spectral Hand also happens to be necromancy. So your best bet is a good, mobile familiar. There's a reason the raven doesn't grant much to the caster - it happens to be one of the better touch spell delivery services in the game!

Last edited:

Swedish Chef

Adventurer
The way the power is described, it is a limited use power:

"As a standard action you can strike with a telekinetic fist, targeting any foe within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. The telekinetic fist deals 1d4 points of bludgeoning damage + 1 for every two wizard levels you possess. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Intelligence modifier."

So, my intelligence is 20 for a +5 modifier. That means 8 times a day I can use this as a standard action. I think it would be a reasonable alternative to be able to cast a touch spell with a casting time of 1 standard action or less and deliver it via the telekinetic fist. To do this, I would say that the damage from the power itself (1d4+1/lvl) is voided in order to deliver the effects of the touch spell.

Now, having taken Transmutation as my school, and giving up Necromancy and Enchantment, my current selection of offense touch spells is basically nil. In fact, other than buff spells, I won't have any truly effective touch spells until I reach 6th level and can cast 3rd level spells. But being able to buff the tanks from relative safety is very useful.

I just figured that it would give my spell caster a bit more versatility. I am playing him as a defensive/buff caster, as the party has no cleric (we do have a druid, but she is going more offensive than healing).

Also, I normally DM. I'm using this opportunity to show my players that wizards can do more than just toss around explosive fire spells, as is their usual wont. :eek:

Remove ads