• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Wizards 5e

Gadget

Adventurer
As I mentioned, split enchantment isn't enhancing particularly good spells, but they become good after the enhancement. Tasha's is a exception since it is good to begin with, becoming great with split enchantment. Potentially incapacitating 2 high CR creatures with a first level spell is fantastic.

Yes, my comment was more irritation with Otto's than any critique of your assessment. Splint Enchantment is decent overall.

I still maintain that that the Improved Minor Illusion feature is very circumstantial, borderline useless though. I see at as Orange at best, maybe red.

Yes, my comment was more irritation with Otto's than any critique of your assessment. Splint Enchantment is decent overall.

I still maintain that that the Improved Minor Illusion feature is very circumstantial, borderline useless though. I see at as Orange at best, maybe red.
Improved Minor illusion gives you a free audible illusion every time you use the cantrip. It doesn't have to be connected or originate from the visible illusion. It's not great, but not useless either. The sound of footsteps around a corner, even duplicating your voice to confuse opponents. You can't think of anything to use it for? It's free... think of something.

jgsugden

Legend
I know Treantmonk is not a fan of "all or nothing" spells, but as you rise in level and get your DCs up there, enchantments really roll over a lot of encounters. My enchanter has been walking through encounters with a bunch of evil humanoids by dominating their leaders. Split enchantment has more than doubled his effectiveness with his 5th level slots(HM, DP), 6th (OID) and 8th (DM) level slots. I say more than doubled because he is concentrating on two spells, effectively, at a time, and cast two spells, effectively, at a time. Doubling up the lower slots is also nice, but not as powerful.

I've made a homebrew single target enchantment spell that overwrites the target with my mind at 7th level. As long as my "prime" concentrates I get to do a lesser version of dominate monster (the dupes have no access to my spells, and I have no access to their abilities that are mentally related - we use my mental attributes/saves/skills and the physical attributes/saves/skills of the target). Advantage on the saves if the target is in combat with us. It has yet to be unleashed, but it should be really fun and fills that single target enchantment gap at 7th level - which I have been known to fill with hour long dominate persons.

Oh, and another thing to consider with schools for high level PCs - Simulacrums. What schools make the best simulacrums? When your simulacrum runs out of spells and is down to cantrips and at will abilities, which ones are the most useful as a simulacrum? Not all wizards will make simulacra, nor will they always make them of themselves, but many do. The simulacra of wizards can cast rituals, use cantrips, use school based abilities, etc...

THat's an interesting thought experiment. I am currently playing a 12th level illusionist. On his fingers he has illusionary rings, each created with a major image spell using a 6th level slot (permanent until dispelled). He can use Malleable illusions to change those rings into the illusion of his choice by using an action, then turn it back into an illusionary ring afterwards.

I'm thinking a Simulacrum would be handy for using its action for malleable illusions, thus saving me the action. That would be pretty sweet.

Now would a diviner Simlacrum regain portent? The spell isn't very clear on that. The Simlacrum does not regain spells, but does it regain limited use abilities? It simply doesn't say. If it does, that's every bit as fantastic as you would expect.

The Enchantment hypnotic gaze requires getting into dangerous situations, not so good for something with 1/2 a wizard's HP.

Necromancer and Evoker are both enhancing spells they cast, which a Simulacrum is fine for until it runs out of spells.

Abjurer shield can be used on others, which would be handy, but relies on spellcasting to recharge. If your DM is cool with spamming Alarm rituals to recharge, then that's an option.

An extra Transmuter's Stone would be lovely, and they are transferrable. If your Simulacrum was in danger, it could simply give you the stone and stay at the local Inn. A Transmuter Simalacrum could polymorph itself into a bird or something repeatedly and simply circle overhead until needed, it would help keep it from being a target.

Just some brainstorming.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
THat's an interesting thought experiment. I am currently playing a 12th level illusionist. On his fingers he has illusionary rings, each created with a major image spell using a 6th level slot (permanent until dispelled). He can use Malleable illusions to change those rings into the illusion of his choice by using an action, then turn it back into an illusionary ring afterwards.

I'm thinking a Simulacrum would be handy for using its action for malleable illusions, thus saving me the action. That would be pretty sweet.

Wow I love those illusions. What are some things you change the rings into, if you can recall?

Langland

First Post
Wow level 12 Illusionist! I want to hear your experiences once you hit 13 and can cast mirage arcane. Being able to physically alter the structures and terrain in a vast area (That you can drag along with you ) at will, really does the lion's share of your work for you, and without expending any resources.

Wow level 12 Illusionist! I want to hear your experiences once you hit 13 and can cast mirage arcane. Being able to physically alter the structures and terrain in a vast area (That you can drag along with you ) at will, really does the lion's share of your work for you, and without expending any resources.

Level 14 is the show-stopper I'm waiting for. Action to change permanent Major image rings into whatever I want, bonus action to make it real.

Wow I love those illusions. What are some things you change the rings into, if you can recall?

I would love some suggestions, but so far:

Copies of my character when he's invisible
Additional threats like monsters, casters, etc
A rolling fog for us to hide in
Walls, structures, barriers

Remove ads