• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trying to get hit?

DracoSuave

First Post
I'm interested in this topic for a slightly different reason - my warlord just took the 1st level at-will Opening Shove, and I'm seriously contemplating targetting allies with it. It appears to be legal to target your buddies, so I'd like to know if there is anything they can do outside their turn to make it easier to hit them.
-blarg

Wow. Yeah, seems you can use this on your buddy... just... wow.

Syrsuro

First Post
Explicitely doesn't work.

From the DMG (page 40)

When a power has an effect that occurs upon hitting a target—or reducing a target to 0 hit points—the power functions only when the target in question is a meaningful threat. Characters can gain no benefit from carrying a sack of rats in hopes of healing their allies by hitting the rats.

The power requires you to hit your target to gain its effect.

Carl

I'm weighing these along with something that requires no calculations (I'm big on that) ...

I agree with the simplification that doesn't require level based calculations. My first thought was to go with the allowing a player to change how thier stats affect thier defence, either reducing the impact to 0 or turning it into a penalty as they actively dive into the way of the oncoming attack.

That is very 3x'ish {and exactly how my rule went in that system}. For 4e, I think its better to do a flat rule along the lines off:

Invite an attack {at will, free action as part of any move action}
You intentionally open yourself up to an attack, inviting those lowly opponents to give it thier best shot.
Effect: All opponents gain a CA and +5 to attacks against you and deal an additional 1D6 damage per tier if they hit. Each opponent only gains this extra damage once per round.
Duration: You may end this status with a free action spent as part of any move action

That allows the player to take the hit, for whatever reason, yet adds enough penalties that a CP2020 player like me would think its an appropriately 'why the hell are you doing that' sort of action :)

Lela

First Post
Thanks for your input.

I'm weighing these along with something that requires no calculations (I'm big on that) like "Fine, you get hit, but you grant CA to everyone and their critical range is doubled against you until the beginning of your next turn."

As someone playing a rogue, I'm totally for this one. :D

nittanytbone

First Post
I would let him grant CA to enemies, or make himself helpless.

The enemies would not have to take advantage of it (for example, maybe he's wearing Righteous Armor and they don't want to take damage all the time).

Remove ads