TSR TSR3.5 Voluntarily Dismisses Lawsuit

A lawsuit filed by TSR3 against D&D owners Wizards of the Coast a few days ago was voluntarily dismissed.

A lawsuit filed by TSR3 against D&D owners Wizards of the Coast a few days ago was voluntarily dismissed.

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 3.17.46 PM.png

Dismissal without prejudice means that the suit can be filed again. The suit lasted two days from the 7th to the 9th of December. The IndieGoGo fundraiser to fund it is still running.

At first glance, the below document is dated 21st October so it’s reasonable to assume that it is not related to the recent filing; however, apparently that date is incorrect. The correct date is in the footer, and this is indeed the dismissal of the recent filing and can be found on PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records).

A92E7177-BFFA-4789-96A8-8A051E49BA46.jpeg

Sacrosanct

Legend
He knew what he was doing, because the first donation happened to be the max limit. So he knew about campaign contribution limits as well when he did it.

As far as creativity, I bet all their PC names are the names of existing characters spelled backwards, like his mighty wizard Fladnag.
I'll say that I make the stupidest typos a lot. Like, the other day I tried to write bardic but ended up writing bandage instead, because my mother had been talking about needing to buy more bandaids a moment before and my ears decided to bypass my brain at that moment and go right to my fingers. Hey, they both start with ba, right? I've also "misspelled" my own last name a couple of times when I've typed so fast that I haven't fully pushed a key and miss a letter or two from the middle of the name.

That being said, it's clear that in this case, LaNasa was either trying to get around a donor limit or really thought that other people would think that he had different people giving him money. Probably the former, since I have a hard time imagining that he really thought Lavasa and Lanaga, or using his middle initial once, would fool people into thinking they were different people.

The only thing I can't figure out is why he went for such poorly disguised names and didn't just come up with entirely different names. Guys a gamer, right? He should be able to come up with names.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
On the Indegogo page:

TSR plans on Re- filing the Decclaratory Judgement of Ownership in Washington state and also carrying on its actions to have Wizards of the Coast remove of change its Legacy Disclaimer.​

Whatever rumors you have been reading Disregard.Not one Media source reporting on this dismisal (Except Clown Fish TV) asked TSR for clarifaction why the DJOO was withdrawn.​

Justin LaNasa​

CEO TSR​

This was pretty much what I was thinking - their lawyer filed in the wrong venue and got dragged hard about it on legal twitter. There's no way that the case was going to go forward in the NC district at all, so they needed to drop it there to refile it in WA.

We'll see how long it takes them to actually refile it tho. Their Indiegogo funding is moving slowly so from a fundraising perspective it probably makes more sense to try to keep generating outrage on social media to drum up donations before actually refiling.

(Plus the follow-up on Indiegogo says that anything left over is going to be given to their museum to build a "memorial to the original creators". Interesting phrasing on that too - "when TSR says the battle is over" all leftover funds go to the museum.)

MarkB

Legend
(Plus the follow-up on Indiegogo says that anything left over is going to be given to their museum to build a "memorial to the original creators". Interesting phrasing on that too - "when TSR says the battle is over" all leftover funds go to the museum.)
So, what are the odds that the museum will commission a "J LaNasa" to build a fitting memorial using tin foil and paperclips?

Sir Brennen

Legend
So, what are the odds that the museum will commission a "J LaNasa" to build a fitting memorial using tin foil and paperclips?
None, because there won't be any "left over funds" to make a memorial of any kind, anyway, for two reasons:
  1. The IGG campaign will never raise enough money to cover the legal costs
  2. TSR (LaNasa) will never declare the battle is over, even if they lose the case

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
They've had nearly a decade to build a memorial from the Gygax Memorial Fund (to which my wife and I contributed at Gary Con more than once) and there's still NOTHING.

It's fraud and mismanagement all the way down with Luke Gygax trying to do damage control, but even he's exasperated at the crowd his brother has gotten involved with.

edit: added an omitted word that massively changed the meaning of a sentence.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads