TSR TSR3.5 Voluntarily Dismisses Lawsuit

A lawsuit filed by TSR3 against D&D owners Wizards of the Coast a few days ago was voluntarily dismissed.

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 3.17.46 PM.png

Dismissal without prejudice means that the suit can be filed again. The suit lasted two days from the 7th to the 9th of December. The IndieGoGo fundraiser to fund it is still running.

At first glance, the below document is dated 21st October so it’s reasonable to assume that it is not related to the recent filing; however, apparently that date is incorrect. The correct date is in the footer, and this is indeed the dismissal of the recent filing and can be found on PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records).

A92E7177-BFFA-4789-96A8-8A051E49BA46.jpeg

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
Imagine how much work NuTSR will have to put in to roll everything back once they pry control back out of WOTCs soulless corporate woke grasp
I get the impression NuTSR is adverse to work - unless it's to get worked up. If it fell in their lap, I can't imagine they'd do anything more than ride the money wave of what already exists whilst claiming they're going to change everything (then actually touch nothing and "forget" to order another print run).

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I don't know that I'd consider the thought sobering... unless it's a realization about how much time has passed and how much closer I am to the grave by comparison.
Look at it the other way - I consider that time as further proof supporting the hypothesis that I will live forever! :cool:

Wilphe

Adventurer
I get the impression NuTSR is adverse to work - unless it's to get worked up. If it fell in their lap, I can't imagine they'd do anything more than ride the money wave of what already exists whilst claiming they're going to change everything (then actually touch nothing and "forget" to order another print run).
That was kind of my point

NuTSR getting D&D back

and

NuTSR doing any work

Both extremely unlikely

Shakeshift

Adventurer
The funny part is that WotC can't really lose against Lanasa no matter what. They can just throw lawyers after lawyers at the problem, and tie the whole thing up in court until Lanasa goes completely broke from legal fees. They can just strand him on an island and let him slowly starve.

Disney does this with independent contractors all the time. They lean in for a heavy 7-year drawn-out lawsuit, and their enemies go broke after year two because nobody has $400,000 for lawyer's fees and court costs and legal expenditures. It's nothing to Disney, but the average person goes broke in no time at all.

And yes, as someone else pointed out, Lanasa cannot get "back" the TSR copyright because he never owned it, had anything to do with it, never created anything for it, or was paid for TSR ownership when it was sold in 1997, and later acquired by Hasbro in 1999. At that point, everyone on this forum board has as much "ownership" of TSR as Justin Lanasa has. I actually have more, because I can easily describe the entire game in detail, which puts me light years ahead of Lanasa.

Lanasa can't get the original TSR because he's never owned it in his life. He can trot out Ernie Gygax all he wants, but Ernie also has no claim since his father sold his shares in 1985. Ernie has no factual claim, legal or otherwise. He's as clueless about all of this as Justin.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases