D&D General Twin Guiding Bolt vs Ice Knife?

Zardnaar

Legend
So what's better level 1-7ish? Either divine soul or Sorcerer 2/Cleric xyz.

Thinking Ice Knife is the best low level AoE that doesn't require you getting up close.

Thoughts?

Guiding Bolt is mostly useful if your rogue needs a way of generating advantage.

Twinned Ice Knife can be surprisingly nasty (and Ice Knife is as far as I know the only AoE you can twin). If two foes are standing side by side they have the potential of each taking 1d10+4d6 damage.

The big question is "How close is close?" Because Tasha's Caustic Brew is pretty good as a low level AoE if 30' is enough of a range for you.

The other thing is are you allowed to use the OneD&D Sorcerer? Because I really really can't recommend the Divine Soul as written; the sorcerer's crippling weakness is a lack of spells known. On the other hand low level multiclassing means that you'll be entire levels of spells behind and upcasting doesn't make up the full gap.

Zardnaar

Legend
Guiding Bolt is mostly useful if your rogue needs a way of generating advantage.

Twinned Ice Knife can be surprisingly nasty (and Ice Knife is as far as I know the only AoE you can twin). If two foes are standing side by side they have the potential of each taking 1d10+4d6 damage.

The big question is "How close is close?" Because Tasha's Caustic Brew is pretty good as a low level AoE if 30' is enough of a range for you.

The other thing is are you allowed to use the OneD&D Sorcerer? Because I really really can't recommend the Divine Soul as written; the sorcerer's crippling weakness is a lack of spells known. On the other hand low level multiclassing means that you'll be entire levels of spells behind and upcasting doesn't make up the full gap.

No playtest material. Can maybe add more spells known for non tashas sorcerers

No playtest material. Can maybe add more spells known for non tashas sorcerers
You need those extra spells known. And I always found it weird that sorcerers knew fewer spells than more flexible casters could prepare at one time. You need at least one extra spell per spell level (and preferably two, as the Tasha's options)

Zardnaar

Legend
You need those extra spells known. And I always found it weird that sorcerers knew fewer spells than more flexible casters could prepare at one time. You need at least one extra spell per spell level (and preferably two, as the Tasha's options)

Yeah DMs involved will likely let in boisted spells known for non tashas sorcerers.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

I don’t believe it’s possible to twin ice knife.

Horwath

Legend
I don’t believe it’s possible to twin ice knife.
this is true.

we house ruled that you can twin any spell, but no target can be affected by both spells.

I.E. you can twin fireball, but in the best case you just double the area affected, damage per target is the same.
or 17th level EB, no target can be targeted by more than 4 ray from total of 8.

There was a Sage Advice some time ago that tried to justify banning Ice Knife from twin spell on the basis that it really meant "capable of damaging multiple targets". Like much of the sage advice from that period, I would ignore it.

Personally I like Guiding Bolt, but it doesn't upcast well. It works better with quicken though - if it hits you can follow up with a quickened fire bolt with advantage.

The other good one is Reach Inflict Wounds.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
There was a Sage Advice some time ago that tried to justify banning Ice Knife from twin spell on the basis that it really meant "capable of damaging multiple targets". Like much of the sage advice from that period, I would ignore it.

Personally I like Guiding Bolt, but it doesn't upscale well.

I don't usually bother updating FB. Generally don't bother casting it either unless I'm blessed or have advantage.

Twinned GB however starting to like it.

Twinned dragons breath also kinda nice.

Remove ads