Two weapon feats, need input!

med stud

First Post
I think that two weapon fighting has been too down played in 3rd edition. As it stands, a fighter would pay two feats to gain nothing or almost nothing compared to a fighter with a two handed weapon or weapon and shield.

But I thought that a change of the entire mechanisms would open a can of worms because the usefulness of two weapon fighting for rogues. So, I made some feats for two weapon fighting to make two weapon fighting viable for fighters without unbalancing rogues. All of the feats below may be taken as fighter bonus feats.
Some notes:
*My most important rule behind these feats is that they should never do away with the -2/-2 penalty. MAYBE as the lvl 10 ability of a PrC, but never as a feat.
*The reason behind the BAB- requirements is to make sure that no fighter gains the feat too early.

OK, here are the feats

One-two blow
Requirements: Expertise, Two weapon fighting, Ambidexterity, BAB +4 or more

A character who attacks with two weapons and hit with one of them gets a +2 bonus
to attack with the other weapon.
--------------
Fangs
Requirements: Two weapon fighting, Ambidexterity, Combat reflexes, BAB +6 or more

When gaining an AoO, the character may attack with both weapons, at
the usual penalties per attack.
---------------
Quick sheath
Requirements: Two weapon fighting, Ambidexterity, Quick draw

As a free action, the character can sheath one of her weapons. This may be useful if she either is facing a high- AC opponent or just is entitled a single attack in a round. In this case, she can sheath, attack, and quick draw the weapon after the action if she wants the benefits of Fangs or twin sword
style.
-------------------
Lightning strike
Requirements: Two weapon fighting, Ambidexterity, Improved two weapon fighting

The character can add an attack to his usual amount of attacks if he is using a full attack action with two weapons. The character gets a -2 to all attacks, and that penalty is cumulative with the usual penalty for two weapon fighting.
--------------

Now, please give me your opinions. Im thick skinned, so if you think they suck, tell me so straight away ;)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
It sounds as if Masters of the Wild may have some two-weapon feats that would be of interest.

In the meantime:

One-Two blow - interesting, basically a feat that will sometimes remove the -2 penalty on the second attack. Seems reasonable.

Fangs - on the one hand this seems fair since the 2H weapon gets his big attack on an AoO, but it seems to break the intrinsic rule about only one attack during an AoO (although in theory this could be broken anyway with combat reflexes and great cleave, with enough peons to slash away at). My jury still out on this one.

Quicksheath - I allow this as part of quickdraw anyway. Bolsters an otherwise quite weak feat.

Lightning strike - seems to be taken from the "lightning fists" extension to flurry of blows from Sword & Fist. Don't like it as written, it just doesn't fit in with the rest of the progression. I prefer the idea of a greater two weapon fighting which gives the standard third iterative attack with the off-hand.

=============

As a possible addition to the list:

Ambipotency
also known as "Flurry of swords".
Pre: Ambidexterity
Benefit: You get full strength bonus with both weapons when fighting with a weapon in either hand.
Notes: this is similar to the benefit which monks get for free with their "flurry of blows" ability

Also, the Forgotten Realms has something like "two sword style" as a regional feat which allows you to forgo an off-hand attack for an AC bonus (+1 or +2, I forget which).

Cheers

Crothian

First Post
Okay, interesting idea, but I never understood why people need to make fighting with two wepaons more powerful.

One- Two Blow: First off I'd change the name just because the fourteen year-old crowd will find this very amusing. I don't think this is that good. Let's take an 11th level ranger with improved twf. He has 5 attacks, 3 reguliar, 2 with off hand. As long as he hits with the first, he gets a bonus on the second. he hits with the second, he gets a bonus on the third. And this can go on until he's out of attacks. All he has to do is hit and he gets rid of the negative for attacking with two weapons. I think it's to much.

Fang: Attacking twice for AoO is too much.

Quick Sheath: Neat idea but why? If I'm fighting with two weapons and decide that the opponent is to difficult to hit, I just choose to attack with one weapon. No need to sheath the other one.

Lightning Strike: Again, this is two much. You are already getting two extra attacks with your off hand, do you really need an additional one?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I'd change the requirements around. My suggestions:

One-two blow: Expertise, Two-Weapon Fighting, Ambidexterity, BAB +4, Int 13+
Fangs: Two-Weapon Fighting, Combat Reflexes, BAB +6
Quick Sheath: Quick Draw
Lightning Strike: Two-Weapon Fighting, Ambidexterity, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, BAB +18

About the Feat "Fangs":
How about allowing a second (offhand) attack of oppertunity (additonal to the gained from Combat Reflexes, which should be a prerequisite)
Or you may make two attacks but "pay" the cost of two AOOs. (This might be more useful since against many enemies you will not have too many AOOs)

Oh, by the way: Unless you`re going for Epic Level games, Feats with a Prerequiste of Base Attack 18+ or not really interesting ... :)

Oh, the "One - Two Blow":
Prerequisite: Ambidexterity, Two Wepaon Fighting
When you wield two weapons in a full attack, you may give up your bonus attacks and add +2 to all of your attack rolls (without losing the penalties).
(A Problem, obviously, is that if you wield a simple dagger in the one and a Bastard Sword +5/Flaming/Holy/Keen in the other it does not seem very fair ... On the other hand you have to give up your Shield...

The Twin Sword Style gives you a +2 Dodge Bonus when wielding two weapons, so it will compensate your loss of a Shield. (And since it is a Dodge Bonus it will give you a better AC vs. Touch Attacks - though I do not think that this was taken into account when they created this feat... :) )

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Oh, by the way: Unless you`re going for Epic Level games, Feats with a Prerequiste of Base Attack 18+ or not really interesting ...

I didn't much like the ferat, so I restricted it severely.

Remove ads