D&D 5E Underwater Adventures!

tglassy

Adventurer
Kanglin sniffs at the thought that he wouldn't give threats. That's like asking a fish not to drink water. As for his brother's men, "Do with 'em what ye will. Just make sure ye get the best treasure first."

Once underwater, the world changes from a dull 2 dimensions, to 3 vibrant dimensions, filled with life. The group swims straight down to the sea floor, far enough that someone on the surface couldn't see it, but not so far that the sunlight above cannot reach the bottom. The area is Dim Light all around, though around Kaeldos' drift globe, it is bright light.

Fish swim alone and in schools, and an octopus shies away from the group, squeezing into a hole that should be much too small for it as they pass by. Coral grows richly in the area, and there are likely many things hidden beneath and around them.

OOC: You know you need to head north to the city. Feel free to Role play, discuss tactics, decide who's doing what during the trip (watching for danger, searching for the city, eating fish, whatever). Once you head off, I'll fast forward to the city itself.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ship
Morning

Corus shook his head at Kanglin’s speech. “I cannot drown,” the Triton said. “And I will live up to the bargain we made.”

Corus followed the others into the ocean, diving deep and heading for the bottom. He took in the view, his native environment, glad to be back home. Looking to the others, Corus pointed with his trident to the north, in the direction of the lost city. He pointed to his eyes, indicating to everyone they should be alert. Things lurked in these depths that would terrify those on land.

Corus turned and headed off in the direction of the city.

[OOC=]What is your ruling about talking while underwater?[/OOC]

OOC: All friendlies within 10 feet of me get +2 to their saves

[sblock=Actions]
Saves:
Move:
Action (Extra Attack):
Bonus:
Free:
Reaction:
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]
https://ddb.ac/characters/3088594/zuPvjH
AC: 19
HP: 52/52 HD: 6/6d10+2
Initiative: -1
PP: 10
PI: 10

Channel Divinity (1/R, DC 13)
  • Nature’s Wrath
  • Turn the Faithless

Divine Sense: 3/LR
Lay on Hands: 20/30

Spells
Divine Smite: 2d8 radiant+1d8/spell level higher than 1st (max 5d8)+1d8 vs fiends/undead
1) 4/4: Bless (C), Compelled Duel (BA, C), Cure Wounds, Ensnaring Strike (BA, C), Fog Cloud (C)(1/LR), Speak with Animals (R)
2) 2/2: Aid, Gust of Wind (C) (1/LR); Misty Step (BA); Moonbeam (C)
3) 0/0: Wall of Water (C)(1/LR)
4) 0/0: Dominate Beast (C, DC 15, beast with innate swim speed, 3 charges; recover 1d3/dawn)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Goals]
Treasure hunting in undersea city
What killed the leviathan?
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party]
Kaeldos Nalorn - Triton druid (land)
Jamoar Gallentra - Half-elf storm sorcerer
Tai-Tai - Water genasi battlemaster
Perilor Kelpwood - sea elf monk (shadows)
Stamr Cavehaven - dwarf rogue (scout)
Xander Corvus - half-elf hexblade
[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: If you can breathe underwater you can talk. Except those that breathe through magic sound strange. You can find that somewhere in OOC thread

Tai-Tai plays in the water, enjoying the freedom. But quickly sobers up as the kelp on his shoulders tightens around his neck and others join them.
"I'll take the point."

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Swimming easily through the water as any of the other natives to the terrain, Jamoar quickly dives down to the bottom, keeping his eyes and ears peeled and trying to keep a good look out around. Working through the kinks in his back from his laughing disease, he starts off slowly then gathers steam as he reaches the bottom. "Sounds fine, at least if we approach from the sea floor we have slightly less to worry about something coming from beneath us in an attack!" he says with a quick laugh, the sound of his voice somewhat distorted by the water, though still intelligible. None of you have been here before, right? I've always sailed wide and far around this lane to avoid the leviathan... I wonder what could have killed that creature. It almost gives me pause." Others can see a thoughtful look on Jamoar's face that quickly passes, "I'm sure we'll be fine. We're all experienced in the depths and seem to be capable in our abilities!"

OOC: that holds true regardless of magic type right? So I'm using the Necklace of Adaptation that just says I can breath normally in any environment. I don't care, just wondering how to word my posts!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The manta that sails down with them is an odd looking thing, with two human arms and the remains of a wispy beard, dangling below the otherwise sleek body like some parasite that has affixed itself. But no, it is still Stamr's beard.

At first the creature doubles over and coughs, but bubbles do not emerge, which reassures it. It pauses and cocks its head as it tries to equalize the pressure on its ears, but this new hybrid dwarf-manta seems not to need equalization, and it ends up being a precaution of habit rather than necessity. Soon, indeed, it is swimming as capably as the others -- faster than them, in fact, though there is a decided ungainliness as the dwarf firt experiments with any novel movement.

EarlyBird

Explorer
Kaeldos moves to the center, as when the group goes deeper he won't be able to see much past his light. "Best to keep to the bottom as long as possible," he quips looking at the rock and coral. "Plenty of places for us, and any enemies to hide," he adds worriedly.

Xander follows the others as they swim down to the seabed. Stopping with the others he floats placidly as they begin to discuss the plan. As the half-elf speaks his voice sounds normal. The voice actually sounds eerie coming from a surface dweller.

"Then we need to keep our eyes open."

OOC: I am going with my invocation makes me talk like an underwater native. It just fits with the idea of my pact.
Perception check: 1d20+2 14

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Swimming slowly along with the rest of the group, Jamoar is captivated by the ocean floor that he had long dreamed of as a sailor. Taking in the coral and the life, he is also interested in how that dwarf and his cloak were swimming... it seemed so awkward at first.

OOC: Oh this should be good. Didn't know you could roll this low! Perception: 0 1d20-2 (1d20=2)

EarlyBird

Explorer
The triton druid holds his bident aloof to light up any dark recesses, scaring most of the sea life as he does. His eyes now adjusted to the dimness he keeps a look out as the group swims northward.

OOC: Perception: [roll0]

Remove ads