D&D 5E Underwater interest (Closed)

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Jamoar Gallentra is all posted.

Looking forward to getting this game going! And apologies [MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION] if my character is hostile to Perilor at the beginning... the background just flowed and then I remembered that there is a full sea-elf in the group. He'll get over it soon I hope.

tglassy

Adventurer
I have decided on something after one of our member inquired about Gust of Wind.

Gust of Wind is an Evocation Spell, not Conjuration. That means it does not create wind, it creates the energy that manipulates the wind. That said, I would have no problems allowing that energy to, instead, push the water, but it’s not that simple, says physics.

Water is is much more dense than air, so pushing it takes more effort. So, you’re not going to be pushing the water even half as hard as you would be pushing the wind. In fact, looking at the wording of the rules, the Blast comes “from you”. I’d assume that means it would push you back if you tried to do it to a wall. So much air being thrown in front of you, only to be stopped by a wall, may not be enough to knock you down, but there would be some pushback. That is, after all, what jet turbines do.

So in that spirit, I would say that, since Water is thicker than air and you are less heavy in the water, effectively in a weightless environment, Gust of Wind would move the water away from you...but it would move you away from the water even more. This wouldn’t really be effective in a fight.

But it would be hella awesome during travel, or as an escape. You basically become a torpedo for 1 minute. I’ll have to think about the stats on that. I’m thinking you move 60 ft in a straight line per round you have it going. It does only make a 60 ft wall, after all. But that’s 60 ft without spending your movement for 1 minute. If you also moved, it would be 90 ft per round, and that’s just for normal movements. Rogues could get another 30 ft with a bonus Action, as long as they don’t change direction, which costs a bonus Action.

So there you have it. Tritons get this as a once a day Spell. They basically have a Get-Outta-Dodge-Free Spell.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Jamoar Gallentra is all posted.

Looking forward to getting this game going! And apologies [MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION] if my character is hostile to Perilor at the beginning... the background just flowed and then I remembered that there is a full sea-elf in the group. He'll get over it soon I hope.

I think it's a perfect way to create some initial tension between our characters, while also creating a framework for cooperation and perhaps friendship in the long run, seeing as Perilor is very much a goody-two-shoes wanting to help everyone. :) Love it!

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
[MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION] just checking to see how you're progressing on IC? No pressure, just curious where we're at with the game.

tglassy

Adventurer
I’ve had a very intense few weeks with my jobs+being the primary caregiver in the house. So it’s coming, once I have some time. Same with all my games. Right after posting that I was ready to start, everything picked up, which is par for the course for me.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I have decided on something after one of our member inquired about Gust of Wind.

Gust of Wind is an Evocation Spell, not Conjuration. That means it does not create wind, it creates the energy that manipulates the wind. That said, I would have no problems allowing that energy to, instead, push the water, but it’s not that simple, says physics.

Water is is much more dense than air, so pushing it takes more effort. So, you’re not going to be pushing the water even half as hard as you would be pushing the wind. In fact, looking at the wording of the rules, the Blast comes “from you”. I’d assume that means it would push you back if you tried to do it to a wall. So much air being thrown in front of you, only to be stopped by a wall, may not be enough to knock you down, but there would be some pushback. That is, after all, what jet turbines do.

So in that spirit, I would say that, since Water is thicker than air and you are less heavy in the water, effectively in a weightless environment, Gust of Wind would move the water away from you...but it would move you away from the water even more. This wouldn’t really be effective in a fight.

But it would be hella awesome during travel, or as an escape. You basically become a torpedo for 1 minute. I’ll have to think about the stats on that. I’m thinking you move 60 ft in a straight line per round you have it going. It does only make a 60 ft wall, after all. But that’s 60 ft without spending your movement for 1 minute. If you also moved, it would be 90 ft per round, and that’s just for normal movements. Rogues could get another 30 ft with a bonus Action, as long as they don’t change direction, which costs a bonus Action.

So there you have it. Tritons get this as a once a day Spell. They basically have a Get-Outta-Dodge-Free Spell.

That's really cool - it has a sort of... water jet from a squid's siphon feel, it's very appropriate.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Revised character now up. I had rolled a while back (still sub-par, but certainly better than the first time!), and have reworked the character into Stamr, the Mountain Dwarf Rogue Scout Midwife.

Ready to go!

tglassy

Adventurer
FYI, this is still happening. I had two other games that went by the wayside, and I’ve been getting them back up and running, but I’ll be working on this next.

tglassy

Adventurer
And we're up:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?651491-Underwater-Adventures!&p=7461357#post7461357

FYI, this is essentially a one shot. I won't be playing fair. I will be trying to kill you. I will not be holding back. This city is dangerous. If you die, I get to laugh. I actually would love to design this as a sort of "Tomb of Horrors" type of ordeal, where just surviving and maybe grabbing a few things of value is awesome. So there will be monsters way over your CR. There will be traps you may not be able to get out of.

But that said, I'll also put all kinds of juicy things down there for you to find. I'm talking Legendary Items. I'm so tired of playing "We're all level 1, so I found a Wand of Magic Missiles. Yay!". No. I want Rings of Elemental Command, Luck Blades and freaking Vorpal Swords. Things are down there. You could be awesome. If you survive.

Good luck.

Remove ads