Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Modifying Classes & Spell-less Rangers

WotC's Rodney Thompson takes a look at how to customize and modify character classes in the latest Unearthed Arcana article, including an example of a spell-less ranger similar to Lord of the Rings' Strider (an often asked-for class option). There are aslo notes about each of the other classes, discussing what to be careful about changing.

WotC's Rodney Thompson takes a look at how to customize and modify character classes in the latest Unearthed Arcana article, including an example of a spell-less ranger similar to Lord of the Rings' Strider (an often asked-for class option). There are aslo notes about each of the other classes, discussing what to be careful about changing.

The article is here.

ranger.png

SaveSave

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
The favored soul looks like it will be incredibly powerful when built carefully. Just considering Twinned Spell with the War or Life domain, there's a lot of room for powerful buffs and heals there. (Double-targeting Cure Wounds seems awesome, unless I'm missing something.) Ironically, this could make the favored soul a more fragile, back-line character than a cleric - slightly worse armor, less HP, and more concentration buffs to keep running.

redrick

First Post
I'll read this whole post in more detail later, but I love the idea of a Battle Ranger who gives up spell-casting in order to get battle-master maneuvers. It seems a perfect fit for the Strider/Faramir archetype. Instead of just replacing hunter's mark with a mundane equivalent, where rangers are "wilderness strikers who do a ton of damage," the ranger becomes a wilderness light infantry who specializes in expert use of his or her terrain to outmaneuver and gain the upper hand against an opponent. I don't know have the battlemaster maneuver list memorized, but that's how I would flavor it, anyway.

This seems like a very helpful document.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
... I think the Favored Soul is quite OP. It's a full caster sorceror, with a smattering of divine spells which from memory will include healing, plus medium armour & shield (this is waaaay better than dragon sorceror's armour, which apparently it was meant to compare with - which means it should have been light armour only. With human feat at 1st you have a sorceror with full armour & shield) and 2 melee attacks from 6th. Favored Soul demonstrates to me that the devs sometimes get it wrong too.

Well, there are some points you should take into account.

• Sorcerer is a full caster, but it is about the weakest full caster. Less hp (notice this) no ritual casting, and a limited spell list. Overpowering one is like overpowering a 3e bard, or a 3.x healer.
  • Medium armor is just not that good, and a human dragon sorcerer can still have that shield.
  • Did I mention the other simple weapons are more about aesthetics than real power?
  • Low HP!
  • Compare Favored soul with Valor Bard, they are mostly equivalent, the soul being more squishy and less offensive with weapons.
  • Only one domain includes healing, and it is the one that allows the sorcerer to be a surrogate cleric, one with less hp, no divine interrvention nor channel divinity. (and bards already do this) This is no better than starting with a bard dip.
  • The other domains have mostly wizard spells the sorcerer didn't get otherwise. Being mostly divinations (knowledge), Evocations (light), plant and animal stuff (nature), more evocations (tempest) and a few utilities the sorcerer wouldn't get otherwise (trickery)

The favored soul looks like it will be incredibly powerful when built carefully. Just considering Twinned Spell with the War or Life domain, there's a lot of room for powerful buffs and heals there. (Double-targeting Cure Wounds seems awesome, unless I'm missing something.) Ironically, this could make the favored soul a more fragile, back-line character than a cleric - slightly worse armor, less HP, and more concentration buffs to keep running.

More like a white mage? It could be powerful, but I donn't think overpowered. A favored soul still needs to cast everything from slots, with no ritual casting to fall on. I really like how it opens the door to utility sorcerers.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I'm a bit torn on how to do defilers in Dark Sun actually, partially because the lore itself is somewhat ambiguous.

Originally in 2e, defilers were just wizards with a faster XP table and when they cast spells they killed all nearby plant life (radius depending on how fertile the area was - in a jungle, you'd only defile a yard or two, but in the sandy wastes the radius could be dozens of yards). In revised 2e they changed it so they defiled when memorizing spells, which I thought was a stupid idea (because the lore often had farming villages having a preserver in their midst because they wouldn't want to destroy their own land, but raiding tribes would have defilers because they wouldn't be casting at home anyway). Lore-wise, on one hand it was said that defiling was easier which is why they had the faster XP table, but on the other it was described as a more recent invention that allowed the users to supercharge their magic. The novels had one of the main character wobble between defiling and preserving (mostly being a preserver, but occasionally defiling when in dire straits), which of course didn't work in game because classes.

4e, IIRC, made "Defile" a power available to any arcane caster, allowing them to reroll an attack at the cost of hurting nearby allies or something like that. That sort of works better with the way it was described in the Prism Pentad (as a "runtime" option), but meshes poorly with other lore.

My guess is that if and when they make a defiler for 5e, it will be closer to the 4e version. Perhaps as a tradition that has the option to gain advantage on spell attacks/inflict disadvantage on saves when defiling. I do hope never to see the idea of defiling when preparing spells again though, because that made no sense.

Defile to use the sorcerer meta magic ability. Hmmmmmm.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Well, there are some points you should take into account.

• Sorcerer is a full caster, but it is about the weakest full caster. Less hp (notice this) no ritual casting, and a limited spell list. Overpowering one is like overpowering a 3e bard, or a 3.x healer.
  • Medium armor is just not that good, and a human dragon sorcerer can still have that shield.
  • Did I mention the other simple weapons are more about aesthetics than real power?
  • Low HP!
  • Compare Favored soul with Valor Bard, they are mostly equivalent, the soul being more squishy and less offensive with weapons.
  • Only one domain includes healing, and it is the one that allows the sorcerer to be a surrogate cleric, one with less hp, no divine interrvention nor channel divinity. (and bards already do this) This is no better than starting with a bard dip.
  • The other domains have mostly wizard spells the sorcerer didn't get otherwise. Being mostly divinations (knowledge), Evocations (light), plant and animal stuff (nature), more evocations (tempest) and a few utilities the sorcerer wouldn't get otherwise (trickery)

More like a white mage? It could be powerful, but I donn't think overpowered. A favored soul still needs to cast everything from slots, with no ritual casting to fall on. I really like how it opens the door to utility sorcerers.

Yeah valor bard is closest, but valor bard has a very different and less destructive spell list, and no metamagic to amp it up further. I should confess I dont allow MCing for balance reasons.

I am still very glad to see such an article and new example subclasses. I would certainly rather see the devs experimenting and providing guidance of some kind than nothing at all.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Yeah valor bard is closest, but valor bard has a very different and less destructive spell list, and no metamagic to amp it up further. I should confess I dont allow MCing for balance reasons.

I am still very glad to see such an article and new example subclasses. I would certainly rather see the devs experimenting and providing guidance of some kind than nothing at all.

I definitely think it's worth remembering that Favored Souls have the same HP as Wizards. That's going to be a pretty heavy check, since their extra melee ability specifically inclines them toward being in the line of fire. The designers may be expecting that those spontaneous Cure spells are, some of the time, going to go to keeping the FS alive, because melee is very dangerous for the squishiest characters. (Even at 3rd level, it is possible for a Favored Soul to go from full health to dead in one hit, assuming average HP; crits, especially from the offensively nastier enemies like...Hobgoblin? Bugbear? one of those...can outright kill even into higher levels.)

It's still possible that the Favored Soul is overpowered, compared to say the Valor Bard, but I'm inclined not to think so. (And this is coming from someone highly critical of 5e and its wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey "balance.")

Greg K

Legend
The ranger started off nice enough. However, I am meh on Poultices as written and strongly dislike Call Natural Allies and the advantage on saving throws vs. poison of Natural Antivenom. I think that I would have preferred coming at it by modifying the Rogue or the fighter (give up medium and heavy armor for a bonus in light armor, give up something to receive Expertise with wilderness skills ).

As for the favored soul, I have never been a fan of it.

famousringo

First Post
... I think the Favored Soul is quite OP. It's a full caster sorceror, with a smattering of divine spells which from memory will include healing, plus medium armour & shield (this is waaaay better than dragon sorceror's armour, which apparently it was meant to compare with - which means it should have been light armour only. With human feat at 1st you have a sorceror with full armour & shield) and 2 melee attacks from 6th. Favored Soul demonstrates to me that the devs sometimes get it wrong too.

On the other hand, the spell-less ranger looks great. And generally speaking, I love that they are encouraging tweaking your game to best suit your table.

Considering how poorly shields combine with spellcasting even in good conditions, and that the Favoured Soul misses out on Dragon Sorcerer's +1 hp per level, it doesn't seem out of line to me. Armour proficiencies are nothing that the sorcerer couldn't get by dipping a single level into cleric, fighter or some other class.

The extra attack is also available to bards and warlocks. Given that the Favoured Soul's only other boost to melee damage output is going to come from spells, and therefore be subject to action/concentration economy, that extra attack is just an alternative to cantrips for sustained damage. As usual, cantrips will eventually win out as the better option at high levels, anyway.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I definitely think it's worth remembering that Favored Souls have the same HP as Wizards. That's going to be a pretty heavy check, since their extra melee ability specifically inclines them toward being in the line of fire. The designers may be expecting that those spontaneous Cure spells are, some of the time, going to go to keeping the FS alive, because melee is very dangerous for the squishiest characters. (Even at 3rd level, it is possible for a Favored Soul to go from full health to dead in one hit, assuming average HP; crits, especially from the offensively nastier enemies like...Hobgoblin? Bugbear? one of those...can outright kill even into higher levels.)

It's still possible that the Favored Soul is overpowered, compared to say the Valor Bard, but I'm inclined not to think so. (And this is coming from someone highly critical of 5e and its wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey "balance.")

They are more or less balanced with each other.

1st level, same slots, same spells known (though FS has less control over them), fs has better armor and tow extra cantrips, bard has more weapons, skills & hp, ritual caster and inspiration.
2nd level, same spells known, bard gains skill boost and song of rest, fs gains an extra slot.
3rd level, same armor profs, valor bard gains expertise, better weapons, shields, & combat inspiration, fs gains two metamagics and edges by two fixed spells known.
4th level both get a feat
5th fs edges by four fixed spells known, valor bard gets more and better uses of inspiration
6th both get extra attack, bard gets countercharm
7th fs edges by 6 fixed spells known.
8th both get a feat

and so onn...

Something overlooked, the FS allows to have sorcerers more focussed on utility instead of blasting, which allows for a wider variety of less blastery sorcerers.

Hussar

Legend
Oh, very, very excellent. The pdf file is single column with no art!!!!! Easy to read on mobile devices!!!! YAY!! Finally, someone was smart/lazy enough to put out a very simple pdf for those of us who might want to read something on our phones while on the ... errr ... bus, yeah, bus. That's where I will read this. On the bus. :p

Cool article though.

Remove ads

Remove ads