Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Subclasses Part III: Artificer, Druid, and Ranger

The third in the recent spate of D&D subclasses from WotC! "Continuing our series of new D&D subclasses in 2020, Unearthed Arcana presents three more for you to playtest: the Armorer for the artificer, the Circle of the Stars for the druid, and the Fey Wanderer for the ranger. Today’s article also includes some new infusions for the artificer."...

The third in the recent spate of D&D subclasses from WotC! "Continuing our series of new D&D subclasses in 2020, Unearthed Arcana presents three more for you to playtest: the Armorer for the artificer, the Circle of the Stars for the druid, and the Fey Wanderer for the ranger. Today’s article also includes some new infusions for the artificer."

UnearthedArcana_header.jpg

It might not be explicitly magical, but infusions can only be put on "mundane" items, which this is most certainly not.
Nope, the wording is "nonmagical". and it does not say your power armour becomes magical. I believe the intent is that your power armour can receive one (armor) infusion prior to level 9. It could do with some grey box clarification though.

paladinn

Explorer
Wow, finally a decent UA again! I can totally see these in action. If I had an armorer, I don't know that I'd even want to MC into anything else. The Druid and Ranger options are cool too. Way to go, WotC!

Now just waiting for XgtE 2!

Kurotowa

Legend
You know what I think is actually a bit OP? The Armor of Tools infusion. Getting Dex Mod + Int Mod + Proficiency + Expertise to Theives' Tools is a bit of an escalation. Rather than "Add Int mod to the integrated tool" it probably ought to be "Substitute Int mod when using the integrated tool".

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Yes. Let me clarify. I would make each subclass inspired by the chosen favoured enemy but not necessarily have powers that are only active against them like in 3rd edition.

For example take this fey ranger. They get advantage vs charm and proficiency in a social skill along with some other mind affecting powers. These powers are useful against fey but not restricted to fey, they can be used in other scenarios. The bonus spell list further solidifies this: banishment and dispel magic for dealing with fey, charm person and mislead as fey-like inherited powers.

For a dragon slaying ranger I would give them powers and bonus spells that grant resistance to energy damage types, bonuses to area of effect saving throws, maybe a feature to counter fear. Maybe add in a feature that gives bonuses to attacks when made a certain distance away from your target. These are things that are undeniably useful against dragons, but also generally useful in fighting other things as well.

I suggested that very same thing during the playtest on the WOTC old forums and every ranger playtest survey. I suggested a Giant Killer, Dragon Slayer, Demon Hunter, Horde Breaker etc etc.
The hunter subclass looks like most of what I posted but smashed together and weakened.

It looks like they are just now breaking them down by type.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I suggested that very same thing during the playtest on the WOTC old forums and every ranger playtest survey. I suggested a Giant Killer, Dragon Slayer, Demon Hunter, Horde Breaker etc etc.
The hunter subclass looks like most of what I posted but smashed together and weakened.

It looks like they are just now breaking them down by type.
The only thing I'd add to that list is a beast master/big game hunter archetype. Ranger seems to be where they're determined to put the pet subclass and that archetype is the obvious choice for that.

Another way to fit it in would be as an alternate class feature in the base class by swapping out something like the UA demonstrated.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The only thing I'd add to that list is a beast master/big game hunter archetype. Ranger seems to be where they're determined to put the pet subclass and that archetype is the obvious choice for that.

Another way to fit it in would be as an alternate class feature in the base class by swapping out something like the UA demonstrated.

Originally I had it them in to four groups: Hunters (favored Enemy), Pathfinders (favored terrain), Beastmasters, and Wardens (bonus spells). I offered a short list for the PHB then suggested that the rest can come in new books or developed in the DMG.

This get wanderer doesn't seem fey enough though. It's cool but it doesn't seem like you learned fey tricks. But maybe that leans too much into a fey pact blade warlock.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
No, it means you can infuse your power armor with non-armor infusions. Like Enhanced Weapon, which should work with Thunder Gauntlets or Lightning Launchers in the "weapons" slot. Or Gauntlets of Ogre Power into the bracers.

I like this subclass, but I wish it weren't so obviously Iron Man, or if there were a feature or two that were a little outside of the Iron Man box. But, hey, this seems solid.

If you use a maul it becomes Steel instead.

If we're going to have an artificer for every magic item, can the one for a rings be a Green Lantern?

Remove ads

Remove ads