D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Travelers of the Multiverse

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/travelers-multiverse Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.45.04 PM.png

Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

Faolyn

(she/her)
Not in the manner that @Chaosmancer is trying to say exists. Read the entirety of Sigil and quote me a single statement about it having caravans from the various different primes going to Sigil not only to trade there, but to continue on to other primes for trade. You can't find it, because it doesn't exist. Because reliable portals all over the place do..............not................exist.
The trader Estavan appears to bring goods from the upper planes to Sigil to the lower planes--or at least act as a middleman for these deals--although his entry in Uncaged isn't particularly clear (and anyway, he's in Ravenloft now).

Of course, another thing for both you and Chaosmancer to remember is that all the books emphasize that there aren't all that many permanent merchants in Sigil. The books keep saying that there's "never the same mix of sellers from one week to the next." Likewise, there's not going to be people who use Sigil as a stopover more than a couple of times.

So no, it's not going to be generic caravans going from A to Sigil to B, but there will be individual traders doing that. And even if there were none, that doesn't change anything about Sigil being a center of travel and trade--it just means that people bring things to Sigil to trade, not through it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The trader Estavan appears to bring goods from the upper planes to Sigil to the lower planes--or at least act as a middleman for these deals--although his entry in Uncaged isn't particularly clear (and anyway, he's in Ravenloft now).
Sure, but it didn't involve a bunch of different places of his choice. He was stuck using the long established and dangerous routes. AND he keeps the routes he has secret
Of course, another thing for both you and Chaosmancer to remember is that all the books emphasize that there aren't all that many permanent merchants in Sigil. The books keep saying that there's "never the same mix of sellers from one week to the next." Likewise, there's not going to be people who use Sigil as a stopover more than a couple of times.
Because most of the portals keep shifting and are unreliable for trade and travel. ;)

You get a few people that come to trade for a bit and then can't anymore. Sigil isn't a place where if you want to go from Balder's gate to Greyhawk, you just walk to a portal to Sigil that you know about, then through another portal that you know about to Greyhawk. By the time you find a way to Sigil, you could have ridden to Waterdeep, hopped on a spelljamming vessel, and flown there.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Yes, so long as you enter and exit through the few known permanent portals. It's @Chaosmancer's bogus idea that you can just hop into and out of Sigil form anywhere in the multiverse on a reliable basis that I(and the facts) are disuputing.

Which again isn't relevant to the conversation. Getting out to a random spot doesn't help with regular and reliable transportation to wherever you want to go in the multiverse.

You still have not answered the question I proposed before. Why is the Society of Sensate's test of "leave sigil and come back with more expeirences" considered incredibly easy if leaving the city is so difficult? While on of the more normal ones just involves not having a criminal record and swearing to follow 8 rules.

Why is Tourism, as Faolyn points out, one of the biggest economic drivers of Sigil, if getting in and getting out is incredibly difficult?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You still have not answered the question I proposed before. Why is the Society of Sensate's test of "leave sigil and come back with more expeirences" considered incredibly easy if leaving the city is so difficult? While on of the more normal ones just involves not having a criminal record and swearing to follow 8 rules.
It has been answered multiple times. It's pretty easy to get out, if all you want to do is end up somewhere random and/or dangerous. And it helps them experience things. What they cannot do, is go anywhere they want in the multiverse at a whim, because the portals don't work that way absent DM homebrew.
Why is Tourism, as Faolyn points out, one of the biggest economic drivers of Sigil, if getting in and getting out is incredibly difficult?
Have you read the "tourism" portion. It's primarily talking about planar folks who will have an easier time getting there.

But whatever dude. Ignore all the facts surrounding the portals and run Sigil in your game as a multiversal highway to everywhere. Where it's super easy to get into and out of to anywhere you desire.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Wildspace is the key environment in Spelljammer...that and the various celestial bodies on which a spelljamming ship can land for various adventures.

This is from page 7 of The Concordance of Arcane Space:
------------
Wildspace

All the celestial bodies within a crystal shell float in an airless void called wild space. Conventional (meaning "those that take place on the prime material plane") interplanetary journeys around a solar system take place within wildspace. It is the first obstacle that must be conquered by would-be space travelers.

As an adventurer moves higher (whether climbing a mountain or on the back of a roc), the atmosphere becomes thinner and thinner until at last it becomes vacuum. The climber can still breathe, however, because as he moves upward, an envelope of air clings to him. When he reaches the point where the planet's air is no longer breathable, he is breathing his own air, held near him by his body's own gravity. This air envelope attaches to everything that passes through the atmosphere and allows normal survival in wildspace, at least for a short time.

[The section continues to explain the extent of the air envelope for different-sized objects, and this is what determines how long each ship can sustain it's crew before it must replenish it's air supply.]
-------------
On page 6 from the same volume:

Wildspace is what comes to mind when we talk of "space." It is the vast emptiness that lies between the planets and the stars. All space inside a crystal shell is wildspace. It is mostly vacuum. (More correctly, most regions of wildspace are vacuum. But the cosmos is a big place and there are exceptions to almost every rule, as shall be shown later.) Wildspace is not truly a void, however, even though it is often referred to that way.
--------------
Within wildspace are the celestial bodies: planets, suns, moons, asteroids, and a host of other items collectively lumped together under the heading "planetoids."
---------------
From page 15:

Due to the activity of the planets, the spheres, and various gates to the plane of elemental fire, temperature in wildspace is not a problem for adventurers. The ambient temperature in most space is about the same as a moderate summer day in the temperate regions of most worlds.

Some crystal shells, however, have surprisingly higher or lower temperatures and those should be noted on any star chart worth reading.

----------------

In short "wildspace" is the D&D fantasy version of outer space.

My two cents: About thirty or so pages ago in this large thread, someone commented and rhetorically asked (I am paraphrasing because I am not sure how to efficiently look up this posting): there would have to be changes made to Spelljammer, otherwise, what is the justification for publishing it in 5th edition? This comment was made in the context of that poster arguing for replacing the Phlogiston with the Astral Plane/Sea. If we aren't going to change the D&D cosmology, in other words, why publish Spelljammer now?

Such a change could be fun, of course, but it adds all kinds of different connotations to the notion of space travel for D&D. I did not respond to this person, because I was thinking, "well, do you need to alter the cosmology to publish it in 5th edition? Do we always need to change fundamental elements to justify a new publication...why not simply publish a new adventure with new fun places to explore and new challenges to overcome?" But, I did not write that at the time.

Here we see what I think is a much better reason for those of us who have had a blast with Spelljammer wanting to see it published: many of the present generation of role-players do not know about it! So, what is an appropriate response? Publish a new collection of spelljamming adventures with some explanatory material about how wildspace, spelljamming, magic-based physics, and other stuff work. I think that is satisfactory justification for a (hopeful!) 2022 Spelljammer publication. :) If we are 55 pages into this thread in which intelligent, articulate fellow role-players are participating and only now there is a need to explain wildspace, and if Jeremy Crawford (as in the 2018 DragonTalk interviews which I have mentioned previously that had came out right before the forthcoming Eberron: Rising From the Last War volume was published, and at least one of them was done in conjunction with Crawford and Keith Baker) is going to explain that the crystal spheres remain a fundamental part of D&D's understanding of the Material Plane, then there is ly your justification for a new volume (or "new format") of Spelljammer: many people do not know what it is and have only heard about it through second, third, and fourthand explanations. And, many people are not going to try to dig up and acquire 32 year-old publications. So, there is the justification. Yay!

Cheers and happy role-playing, friends!

Okay, thank you very much. Combined with the wiki I have a better understanding of the term, but I can also see why it was incredibly problematic at the time. And there definetly need to be changes I think if they are going to publish a 5e version of Spelljammer.

See, if I have my understanding straight now, you go from the planet the setting is based on to Wild Space, then you travel through wildspace until you reach the edge of the Crystal Sphere, and then exit the Crystal Sphere into the Phlogiston. The exact reasons why or how or all that doesn't matter, just the overall placement.

Here is the problem I see immediately. You can't publish material for this without changing far too much of the setting you are publishing it for. You can't publish anything that says "if you enter wildspace you need to deal with X" because that will not be universally true. Wildspace is different inside each crystal sphere, you can't leave Krynn and go to Wildspace to see what is on H'Chacha, because that planet is in Abeir-Toril's wild space. This fragments the setting innumerably. Spelljammer doesn't become one setting, with interesting places to go, it becomes 8 or 10 or who knows how many settings, each of which has to be handled independently, because they are the space around each of the individual planets. And if you have an evil space empire that is threatening Abeir-Toril... that vastly changes a lot of the setting in the Forgotten Realms, and it becomes part of the Forgotten Realms.

Now, then, I don't think this is without a solution, and I don't think it is without an already established solution. Because I believe someone said earlier that the new understanding in 5e is that "wild space" is universal. Every Prime is still on the same prime material plane.

To me, this solves the multiple setting issue, though it does raise a few others. The biggest one being that again, you can't have a bunch of space empires and people fighting or trading with them without making the people in the other settings seem smaller and less informed. I honestly don't think you can have space travel in a medieval fantasy world without that effect, but there is a way even potentially around that, though it does take us more into this being closer to Star Frontiers instead of Spelljammer.

One of the big ideas of the Star Frontier setting was that the planets the various races came from were unusually close, and they made an alliance. A galactic united nations, if you will. Have that setting, which would be in the same prime as the other settings, just like a different nebula, be on a leading edge of a galactic core. Add in some Prime Directive "we don't make ourselves universally known to people who don't have the tech to get up here and contact us" and we could shape it in a way that the settings we know are connected to this place, and the various evils break the rules, but it isn't galactic invasions as much as it is individual slavers. We could play it like the MCU was playing their universe. There is a lot going on out here, far away from the places you know, but occassionally they come to the setting you know, and there is a problem you need to deal with.

I may not be explaining it properly, but I could see the shape of it working somewhat. The issue is... this gets rid of crystal spheres and it gets rid of Phlogiston entirely. The only way not to do that would be to set the main setting in a unique and new Crystal Sphere, and then do the things I was talking about, but I think that's the main challenge. You need a unifying place for all the adventures to happen and center around, because you can't splinter it too much without losing anything to make it engaging.

Chaosmancer

Legend
It has been answered multiple times. It's pretty easy to get out, if all you want to do is end up somewhere random and/or dangerous. And it helps them experience things. What they cannot do, is go anywhere they want in the multiverse at a whim, because the portals don't work that way absent DM homebrew.

And yet you said it was called "The Cage" because it was hard to get out and hard to get in. Now it is just hard to get out safely.

And what do you mean by "anywhere in the multiverse"? Do you mean that you can't go to Mount Celestia on a whim? No, that doesn't seem to be how it works. It seems like you absolutely can go to Mount Celestia on a whim. What you may not be able to do is going to a specific PLACE in the multiverse, like the Pyroculum in the City of Brass. I'll give you that. But getting to the Plane of Fire? That's relatively easy.

Have you read the "tourism" portion. It's primarily talking about planar folks who will have an easier time getting there.

But whatever dude. Ignore all the facts surrounding the portals and run Sigil in your game as a multiversal highway to everywhere. Where it's super easy to get into and out of to anywhere you desire.

You mean like the multiversal hub of trade and travel it has been quoted by myself and Faolyn as being? Thanks. I don't need your permission to run the setting as it was presented in the books, but I'm glad you agree that I can.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And yet you said it was called "The Cage" because it was hard to get out and hard to get in. Now it is just hard to get out safely.
Hey, you're right. You can easily get out just the same as when on the walking dead there are hordes of zombies right outside an easily openable door. Or else if you're going to die if you leave, then you are effectively trapped in "a cage."

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Man. So how awesome are plasmoid monks? I cannot wait to play a plasmoid monk. They seem boss.

The hadozee seem really sweet, too. Definitely getting a steampunk zeppelin captain or fantasy spy vibe from that one. Rogue with gliding for easy escapes and cancel falling damage as a reaction. That's tight.

Anyone know when the survey drops?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Man. So how awesome are plasmoid monks? I cannot wait to play a plasmoid monk. They seem boss.

The hadozee seem really sweet, too. Definitely getting a steampunk zeppelin captain or fantasy spy vibe from that one. Rogue with gliding for easy escapes and cancel falling damage as a reaction. That's tight.

Anyone know when the survey drops?
Probably about 2 weeks after the original drop, so Thursday or so.

Remove ads

Remove ads