D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Travelers of the Multiverse

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/travelers-multiverse Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.45.04 PM.png

Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

Scribe

Legend
Does Planescape nedd a lot of UA support before being published? Is there a lot of needed crunch in races and classes?
I don't think so.

It's more (to me) about the Planes, Factions, Sigil and Alignment.

From a purely selfish perspective I want them to go all in on Alignment, Powers, Planes, Belief, and how that all relates to the cosmology.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
So, I got busy and couldn't keep up with the thread... How did it become an argument over wich is the worse of the two settings? Both are similar in scope, but can coexist...
There have been a number of divergent tangents in this thread, all of which I have read.

The one to which you refer occurred when a participant first wrote that Spelljammer was obsolete because of Planescape and then revised the statement to be that Spelljammer is "superfluous" because of Planescape. Of course, we are all welcome to share our thoughts, so that summary is not meant to denigrate that expression in any way.

Others who enjoy Spelljammer responded. Then, because forums tend to be populated by incessant justifications and micro clarifications, such as how often He-Man goes off-planet in some cartoon from the 1980s or whether "countless" means "infinite," we have arrived at this point.

In the meantime, my desire to share my joy that we could very well be seeing a new volume (or a "new format") on Spelljammer in 2022 has been squashed like a Manhattan cockroach. Bad Hatmatter. Very bad. This is not the place for you to share your joy. This is the place we correct others...forever.

I suppose this post will now be corrected. I love you all. ❤️ Cheers and enjoy your latest role-playing sessions! :)

There were UA articles about planes, and there are lot of space for planetouched races.

I guess the return of Planescape will be a planar handbook and several modules/adventures, but these will be only "snak", the true first plate will arrive later.

Bolares

Hero
I don't think so.

It's more (to me) about the Planes, Factions, Sigil and Alignment.

From a purely selfish perspective I want them to go all in on Alignment, Powers, Planes, Belief, and how that all relates to the cosmology.
If that's the case, maybe there would be no need for an UA article, so there being a spelljammer UA doesn't prove spelljammer will come first necessarilly.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm not trying to say they are the same. I just don't get why people are trying to argue wich is worse and shouldn't be published....
Yeah, I don't get it either: I think thst people are viewing it as a zero sum situation thst threatens their preferredoption, but it really isn't.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Does Planescape nedd a lot of UA support before being published? Is there a lot of needed crunch in races and classes?
A potential boatload of Raves, yup, and it's sort of impossible to mix up the two Settings Race groups: Planescape would need Modrons and Bariaurs at least, and lots of other Planar denizens potentially.

Classes are an interesting question, based on 2E Kits: if the next UA has an Astronomer Wizard Tradition and an Astrologer Domain for Clerics alongside a Gunslinger Fighter...that would be suspicious.

Bolares

Hero
Yeah, I don't get it either: I think thst people are viewing it as a zero sum situation thst threatens their preferredoption, but it really isn't.
I think this is the same stuff we've benn seing with de CR and MTG books... people tend to think they are taking the place of old setting books. When in fact the only thing holding those books back is WotCs interest in making them.

Remove ads

Remove ads