D&D 4E UPDATED 6/20/08! kiznit's 4e Fold-over Character Sheet w/ Cards

kiznit

Explorer
Relbanan said:
This sheet is great - my kids and I (13 and 8 yrs) have just started playing D&D (again for me, after about a 20 year break ;) ) and my daughter (8) told me she likes your character sheet "much MUCH better" so you have made a little girl very happy. :)

I have four suggestions - first, on the Equipped Items boxes, how about adding an area for weight? Attachment shows what I mean. You'd have to move the labels to the left on the ones that aren't already over there, ie. Head, Waist, etc. This works for the Other Equipment boxes too.

My second suggestion is regarding the Race Features and Class Features lines. Pretty simple - I'd just like to see those broken into six lines instead of three. just put a space halfway down each line. Makes it cleaner to make a list of features rather than having to separate by commas or whatever. I admit, this is a REALLY small nit. ;)

Third, similar to suggestion #2, I'd like to see the lines below Other Equipment broken into three sections, with a weight column for each item.

Finally, how about a spot by the Ranged Weapon to show ammo? Not sure if that'd be the best place for it or not, but just a box with a count of remaining sling bullets, arrows, etc?

Thanks again for the great sheet - reminds me of my old days, desiging 2e sheets and printing them on my parents' dot matrix printer... :)
Cool, thanks for the comments! It warms my heart to hear that your family got some good use out of them.

All your comments are definitely going on "the list" for v1.1, but fair warning it may be a little while before I settle back down for an upgrade. I also want to playtest them a little to measure space requirements.

egarvue

First Post
Thanks for all your hard work on this. I've been casting about for a character sheet to use (especially with my kids), and this one is just about perfect. Kudos to you! Also, I used your combat crib sheet as a DM on the worldwide games day, and that made my job of introducing 4E much easier.

On a side note, I find it funny that WOTC's official sheet is so horribly made that everyone in my group is on the prowl looking for better character sheets.

The Real Aranan

First Post
The little power card envelope is a nifty idea. I'm definitely using this sheet for all my games and showing it to my players. It's wonderful.

kiznit said:
:shrug: I wouldn't even know what size that is. Can you give me the dimensions? It wouldn't be too hard to whip up an alternate.
2.5 by 3.5 inches (63 x 88 mm)
It wouldn't hurt to make it a tiny tiny bit smaller (~3-4 mm) to make sure they actually fit over the CCG cards.

Now for NeoLithic to make it form fillable *cough* :)

Essobie

First Post
neolithic said:
Kiznit: Maybe you can move the download link up to the first post for easier accessibility.

Hi all. I liked Kiznit's sheet so much that I turned it into a PDF you can type into. This is based on the latest version you can download.

I've been informed that another version is being worked on so once that comes out I'll see if I can find some time to turn that into a PDF form as well.

It is just a basic form without any automation or calculation but I made a few sheets with it last night and was pretty pleased with the result. I'm happy to take feedback but that might warrant a new thread, I don't want to clutter up the original discussion.

Anyways cheers to Kiznit for creating this awesome sheet and allowing me to share this modified version with all of you.

Kiznit's 4e Character Sheet - Fillable v0.5

I love the fillable version of this. Good work to both of you. However, I'm an efficiencty nazi and when I fill out forms I like to use Tab to advance to the next field. According to Acrobat the default order is the order the fields were created, which is what it appear they are using.

I was disappointed that the security settings on this form disallow the re-ordering of these fields.

Any chance of re-ordering these fields in tab order to something more usuable? Or better yet, a version that has this particular security feature disabled to allow users to set their own tab order based on their own preference?

Edit: Other form/fillable suggestions:

- Add a field for "Special Movement" under Speed (like you have for under Passive Perception).
- Is there some way to have the box for Immunities, Resistances, etc. be a "paragraph" box like you have under "Effects & Bonuses vs." in Basic Attacks?
- Perhaps put the number 10 in the "Ten+1/2 Level" box to the right of all the defenses by default but still make it an editable field.

Heh... having typed all this out, I've awakened the inner-desktop-publisher within. I think I'll use this sheet as an inspiration for my own. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

neolithic

First Post
Essobie said:
I love the fillable version of this. Good work to both of you. However, I'm an efficiencty nazi and when I fill out forms I like to use Tab to advance to the next field. According to Acrobat the default order is the order the fields were created, which is what it appear they are using.

I was disappointed that the security settings on this form disallow the re-ordering of these fields.

Any chance of re-ordering these fields in tab order to something more usuable? Or better yet, a version that has this particular security feature disabled to allow users to set their own tab order based on their own preference?

Edit: Other form/fillable suggestions:

- Add a field for "Special Movement" under Speed (like you have for under Passive Perception).
- Is there some way to have the box for Immunities, Resistances, etc. be a "paragraph" box like you have under "Effects & Bonuses vs." in Basic Attacks?
- Perhaps put the number 10 in the "Ten+1/2 Level" box to the right of all the defenses by default but still make it an editable field.

Heh... having typed all this out, I've awakened the inner-desktop-publisher within. I think I'll use this sheet as an inspiration for my own. Thanks guys!

I'd be keen to incorporate this feedback. I knew the tab order was a little funny, I tried my best but this is my first real attempt with Adobe Acrobat Professional and I guess it slipped through the cracks.

Now that the new version is out I'll be sitting down to make that into a form. Not sure about those security settings though but I'll see what I can do when it comes time to publish the PDF.

[I've just managed to do the first page of the character sheet so hopefully I'll have it all squared away by tomorrow guys. Just to keep everyone in the loop on this awesome character sheet.]

Last edited:

Essobie

First Post
neolithic said:
I'd be keen to incorporate this feedback. I knew the tab order was a little funny, I tried my best but this is my first real attempt with Adobe Acrobat Professional and I guess it slipped through the cracks.

Now that the new version is out I'll be sitting down to make that into a form. Not sure about those security settings though but I'll see what I can do when it comes time to publish the PDF.

Found something else while putting a character in. You don't have fields for "Skill Modifiers, Notes, etc" to the right of all the skills that are not gray shaded.

Right now I'm bumping around in Illustrator to see if I can create a sheet that does much of what this one does, but attempts to do it all in landscape and all on a single side of Letter. Probably impossible, but while I still have good eyes I figure I can save a few trees, right?

neolithic

First Post
Essobie said:
Found something else while putting a character in. You don't have fields for "Skill Modifiers, Notes, etc" to the right of all the skills that are not gray shaded.

Right now I'm bumping around in Illustrator to see if I can create a sheet that does much of what this one does, but attempts to do it all in landscape and all on a single side of Letter. Probably impossible, but while I still have good eyes I figure I can save a few trees, right?

I've been a lot more thorough with my field creation this time Essobie and will make sure to include all of the fields in this updated version of the form. The lack of shading did throw me off previously but I'm on top of it now :)

Good luck with your landscape attempt!

neolithic

First Post
Kiznit's 4e Character Sheet v1.0 now form-fillable!

Hi All,

Here is the form-fillable version of Kiznit's 4e Character Sheet v1.0. I've taken extra care this time with tab-order and gone right through all 7 pages of the PDF so even the power cards are form-fillable however I haven't thoroughly tested the cards for all lengths of text and detail.

I plugged in some of the Cleric powers since they have the longest text and they seemed okay but let me know how it all goes.

I've also tried my hand at some drop down menus for the race and class area. These are populated with all the 4e PHB races and classes but you can type over the top of the text if you are using custom races and classes.

The Defense sections Ten + 1/2 Level boxes have also been pre-filled with 10 and i've put in some default text in fields that are placed in not very obvious places. I recommend turning on the "Highlight Fields" option within Acrobat to assist you with filling out the form.

There are now some controls at the top of the first page to save, print and clear the form. Clearing the form will clear every field in the 7 pages to use it with caution!

Once again I'm happy to hear any feedback and hope you enjoy Kiznit's awesome sheet even more with this form-fillable version.

Kiznit's 4e Character Sheet v1.0 Form-Fillable

WhatIsSol

First Post
v1.0 fillable form

Neolithic, your v0.5 form allowed the completed form to be saved with the data, but the v1.0 form does not? Any chance this feature could be re-enabled? Regardless thanks for the effort making it into a fillable form.

Kiznit, in my opinion your character sheet for 4e DnD is totally awesome! Looks like you must have spent a lot of time on it, either that or you are a layout genius :)

Remove ads