Variant weapon table

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
Looks great. Obviously a fair amount of work. Just a quibble, I too think the rapier is a tad potent. Since you set a precedence w armor +1 for some weapons, it seems reasonable to me the for the rapier there could be a armor -1 or armor -2. One's mileage may vary of course :)

BTW: one simple weapon that could be added, I think, is a scythe. I've used one for cutting long grass - its easily 6 lb. and definitely a two-handed tool. If this farm implement was used as a weapon, its big blade should slash for 1d6 if not 1d8. I have no idea how much it should cost.

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Looks great. Obviously a fair amount of work. Just a quibble, I too think the rapier is a tad potent. Since you set a precedence w armor +1 for some weapons, it seems reasonable to me the for the rapier there could be a armor -1 or armor -2. One's mileage may vary of course :)
I agree about the rapier being a bit strong in principle. That bugs me too, but I've never seen it be a real issue in practice, so I can't bring myself to either (a) nerf it to 1d6 or (b) make it significantly more complicated to use. (As you'll see, my second draft moved all the versatile weapon complexity to a feat.)

I think my favorite idea for rapiers lately is to limit what you can do with your other hand. Perhaps you could just restrict it that you can't wield a rapier and shield at the same time. That fits the historical style and I think brings its balance in line. Maybe I'll put that in.

(Could add that I'm not a fan of dual wielding two rapiers via the feat, but I've already modded the feat to allow only one of your weapons to be non-light. And rapier+short sword seems fine.)

BTW: one simple weapon that could be added, I think, is a scythe. I've used one for cutting long grass - its easily 6 lb. and definitely a two-handed tool. If this farm implement was used as a weapon, its big blade should slash for 1d6 if not 1d8. I have no idea how much it should cost.
There was a scythe in 3e and 4e. I could see it as 1d8 slashing, with the 2H, heavy, and reaping properties. Could give druid's proficiency.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm a fan the other way - having some primitives (like what a 1h martial weapon does, or maybe a few options) and then letting the player skin it as they want.

On these charts I see the same sins as on the PHB charts. Duplication of identical ability scores. Weapons that are inferior. A player who wants a certain weapon shouldn't have to be mechanically inferior because of that. Play will almost always tend toward the most efficient weapons. (Yes, there will be the occasional exception. But you don't see multiple players who are primary weapon wielders with, for instance, tridents or blowguns.)

Dr Magister

Explorer
One of the gripes people have with the list in the PHB is that glaives and halberds are identical. I see that now glaives cost 5gp more, but are otherwise still exactly the same. What does the extra 5gp get you?

One of the gripes people have with the list in the PHB is that glaives and halberds are identical. I see that now glaives cost 5gp more, but are otherwise still exactly the same. What does the extra 5gp get you?
More spikes.

(Probably worth also pointing out that this thread is from 2018.)

Remove ads