War of the Worlds (Pendragon) SPOILERS!!

As we were just talking about the imminent release of this movie only a couple of months ago, I was rather shocked to find it in Walmart on DVD for $8 last week. Apparently the movie went straight to DVD instead of the theaters.. I'm guessing they didn't want to compete with the big budget movie coming out later this summer.
The good news: the movie is indeed faithful to the book, about as faithful an adaptation as I've ever seen.
The bad news: everything else. The special effects are laughable, the acting poor, and the editing atrocious. The movie needed a good editor really badly, as it is damn near 3 hours long and full of scenes of people walking, people riding horses, etc. The martian walkers look pretty good actually, but the Thunder Child looks like a cartoon. The movie looks like it was finished in a big hurry to beat Tom Cruise's movie.... probably a good thing, as the comparisons would have been rather bad for Pendragon's movie.
However, it is only $8, and is probably worth that much... and no more...

ragboy

Explorer
I had no expectations for this movie, other than I was sad that Pendragon was doing it and Spielberg was doing a modern version. I got approached by Timothy Hines (Pendragon) to invest in Midsummer Night's Dream. That was right around the time that the 'independent movie' buzz was getting loud. I could tell from his set up and his spiel that he wasn't going anywhere. It's been proven time and time again that you can get quality entertainment out of the independents (Robert Rodriquez, Jared Hess, and others), so I don't think he has an excuse...

Darth K'Trava said:
It was an older version of the movie.

The one starring Tom Cruise is either in theaters now or will be in the next week or two.

Actually, it's a brand new film as well, not an older version. It's been in production for a while, and both WotW were scheduled to release this year. This one was a period piece, staying true to the book in time and location.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0425638/

Yes this movies is sad. very very very sad.
But on the bright side it was faithful to the book as far as i could tell.
Honestly if i had been in charge of the movie i would have stopped production (or at least backed out of it and let some other joker take my place) if i could not have recieved the funding i required, but thats me.
I do give them credit for the amount of bravery they showed in releasing it ( i would have hid that like a bad school photo and sworn everyone involved to secrecy).

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
David Howery said:
As we were just talking about the imminent release of this movie only a couple of months ago, I was rather shocked to find it in Walmart on DVD for $8 last week. Apparently the movie went straight to DVD instead of the theaters.. I'm guessing they didn't want to compete with the big budget movie coming out later this summer.
The good news: the movie is indeed faithful to the book, about as faithful an adaptation as I've ever seen.
The bad news: everything else. The special effects are laughable, the acting poor, and the editing atrocious. The movie needed a good editor really badly, as it is damn near 3 hours long and full of scenes of people walking, people riding horses, etc. The martian walkers look pretty good actually, but the Thunder Child looks like a cartoon. The movie looks like it was finished in a big hurry to beat Tom Cruise's movie.... probably a good thing, as the comparisons would have been rather bad for Pendragon's movie.
However, it is only $8, and is probably worth that much... and no more...

Wow...I am shocked...the last thing I reported on this, was that there was some production problems, and a 'release' was set for late April. Just wow...I am just dumbfounded on this.:\

Remove ads