D&D 5E Warlock Spell Selection: Does the PC or the *player* choose their spells?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
This is ... really trivial, but I think it could have some interesting RP consideration.

Now I am NOT suggesting that the GM should choose the spells! That's an entirely different kettle of fish.

However, let us say that, at level 7, the warlock takes one of those weird warlock-only spells, like Shadow of Moil. Although wizards are the masters of the arcane, there are some deep secrets that even they cannot master.

So where am I going with this? Well, these deep secrets, it would be mighty strange if all patrons knew it wouldn't it be?

So at the table, of course it's the warlock's player that decides to take shadow of moil! But in game, does the warlock decide that is the spell they want, or is that the secret that the patron can/decides to share? If we choose the later, it means that basically, the player is writing the fiction of what secrets his warlock's patron happens to have...

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Obviously the player chooses their spells. Whether or not it’s also the character’s choice in-fiction? Could go either way really. Generally I go with no, but I don’t see any good reason the character couldn’t choose.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I do like to focus on the expanded spell list, picking up a few of those as secrets that the warlock picks up/is shared by the patron. Often I will avoid spells that seem like they don't fit the patron.

MarkB

Legend
Why do you assume that warlock-only spells are deep, dark secrets, as opposed to just something you can't easily do without a patron? We don't assume that Cleric-only spells are obscure or secret.

Depends, of course, on the patron.

But if the patron is directly managing the warlock, or otherwise is highly involved in the details of the warlocks training/mission, it might make sense that in-fiction the patron is picking for the character. But unless it's a brand-new player who just wants to zap things and not really learn rules, I'd have the player chose the spells. But if it's a pregen, this is a good way to fluff that.

On the other hand, I don't assume patrons are that involved. If the patron is aware of and involved in the warlock's training, they probably aren't doing that day-to-day. They create a conduit to power and teach some baseline skills, but the warlock is doing the bulk of the learning through experience as they adventure. Patrons are, by and large, rather busy beings with a lot of other things to pay attention to. Asmodeus doesn't check on every fiendlock who made a deal with a him until he needs them to do a thing. It's closer to a cleric's relationship, but the initiation is more personal.

Then there are patrons who aren't aware of the pact, where the warlock finds a way to access the power despite anyone's permission. Most such patrons know about the concept of warlocks using their power, but only learn about specific warlocks through more normal means.

Then there are Great Old Ones, who aren't really aware of mortals in general.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I don't know if I actually understand the question.

Are you asking, "Is it explicitly always in-story that every spell is an elective choice of the character?" Well...no, I wouldn't think so anyway. Or are you asking, "Is it even possible in-story that a spell could be an elective choice of the character?" Well...yes, I would consider that an absolute given, unless contextually forbidden. Yet those two answers seem trivially obvious to me, like asking "does EVERY soda have to be fruit-flavored?" or "can ANY soda be fruit-flavored?", so I feel like I have to be missing something really important that pushes this out of such obvious answers.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Why do you assume that warlock-only spells are deep, dark secrets, as opposed to just something you can't easily do without a patron? We don't assume that Cleric-only spells are obscure or secret.
Why do I assume that? Because Wizards.

Wizards are obsessed with magic, and with mastering it. It's not from a strange bloodline, it's not from devotion to gods or entities. It's mastery through study, repetition, skill and will.

It's no wonder their spell list is so large and comprehensive! Any magic that a wizard cannot duplicate easily must be peculiar indeed.

Remove ads