Warriors Of The Coast OOC

Bront

The man with the probe
drothgery said:
Cool.

Bront -- I've added a budding friendship with Zan in Khalia's background, if that's okay.

DEFCON1 -- The Archivist is one of a great many new classes from WotC that are missing a starting gold value (at least the CWar classes got fixed in errata). So what should I use to equip Khalia?

Also, Khalia's background feats are Master of Knowledge (from Heroes of Horror) and Research (from the Eberron Campaign Setting). I've moved things around so now Investigator is a normal feat (along with Spontaneous Healer).
Seems strangely appropriate :).

I'm generaly pretty open, and intend to write a little section for each player. I just need to be a bit more awake (It's effectively 3 AM for me at the moment, 3rd shift). Assuming it's reasonable, I have no problem having met, befriended, or whatever another character. You're not getting more than friends, because Zan is a little too much reclusive geek to date yet :p.

Basicly, write stuff up, and I'll write stuff up, and we can comb it over to make sure it works.

Velmont

First Post
Bront said:
Seems strangely appropriate :).

I'm generaly pretty open, and intend to write a little section for each player. I just need to be a bit more awake (It's effectively 3 AM for me at the moment, 3rd shift). Assuming it's reasonable, I have no problem having met, befriended, or whatever another character. You're not getting more than friends, because Zan is a little too much reclusive geek to date yet :p.

Bront, if you want to include Matthew, my new character, in your background, I've suggested in it that we were childhood friends or at least we knew each other, but put nothing more after that on Zan, most likely lost him as he got more interest with his books and less with the boy from the lighthouse.

Bront

The man with the probe
Velmont said:
Bront, if you want to include Matthew, my new character, in your background, I've suggested in it that we were childhood friends or at least we knew each other, but put nothing more after that on Zan, most likely lost him as he got more interest with his books and less with the boy from the lighthouse.
No, he's an approved character only snob :p

Sure, write something simple in. Maybe Zan failed miserably at swiming early on in life which lead to his more scholarly pursuits as far as limit testing.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As I mention in the first post, I'm usually not on weekends, so don't necessarily expect to see me again until Monday (unless I get lucky and find myself online with a free ten minutes or so). To comment on a few quick things...

drothgery, use max standard cleric gold for your archivist. Probably easiest way to do it.

Velmont, the new character is coming along... but unfortunately the one nix I have to put on it is that your family actually can't be the ones who run the lighthouse. They're a plot thread... sorry, I should have made that clear. :( You can certainly know the family... that's fine (in fact most people in town know the husband/wife/son/daughter who run the lighthouse), but I wouldn't explain too deeply who those four are (since they have plot ties already in place). However, your stuff regarding knowing some of the friendlier lizardfolk in the area is fine though.

I'm still accepting new additional submissions from people, so go ahead and amend or submit. I'll make the final decisions on the last three players probably either Monday or Tuesday. Thanx all!

drothgery

First Post
DEFCON 1 said:
drothgery, use max standard cleric gold for your archivist. Probably easiest way to do it.

Thanks. Khalia's got equipment now.

Micro-rant -- it's pretty much impossible to equip a 1st-level nobleborn character so that she looks the part. So Khalia doesn't have a noble's outfit or the jewelry to look the part, and has a mule (the 8 str character's best friend) rather than a horse.

Bront

The man with the probe
You get a set of appropriate clothing for free, and it doesn't count against weight, so if you're a noble, dress the part, it's an RP thing anyway.

drothgery

First Post
Bront said:
You get a set of appropriate clothing for free, and it doesn't count against weight, so if you're a noble, dress the part, it's an RP thing anyway.

This really wasn't specific to Khalia; it's a long-standing mechanical peeve of mine.

By the book, you need 100 gp worth of jewelry along with a noble's outfit (and a signet ring, but that's easily affordable) to avoid looking like an out of place commoner. And no 1st-level PC in a game with by-the-book starting gold (or even maximum theoretically possible by the book starting gold) can afford to spend that kind of money.

Bront

The man with the probe
Assuming you have no intention of selling it, I don't see that as a problem, more as flavor. But I'm not the GM, so it's up to you.

Besides, if you're investigating ruins, do you realy want to do it in your sunday best?

Added to Zan's backgroung so far, Comments welcome:
Zan's thought on others:
Kahlia ir'Indari is an intriguing character. More focused on religious truths than Zan is on factual truths, they still have found time to work together, and occasionally discuss various scholarly issues. They share a budding friendship, which might even border on something more of each of them weren’t so focused on more scholarly pursuits. Zan would love join Kahlia on one of her expeditions, but he’s never been asked, and hasn’t spoken up about his desire.

Ari Osten is all business when it comes to Zan. Zan has had little dealings with the mercenary other than when Ari has requested info. While dealing with the man has proven to be lucrative, it seems that there is little association with the man unless money is concerned. He finds it odd that a man with such a limited scope of knowledge can keep himself so focused and is not bored by not expanding his horizons.

Jango and Jina Silversun, the elven twins. Definitely a unique pair. Zan actually got along with both of them fairly well. Jango was quiet and studious, and Zan enjoyed chatting with him about magic, and investigating his different take on it. Meanwhile Jina’s outgoing nature helped inspire Zan to push his own limits, and he found her company to be quite enjoyable, though they rarely had anything serious to speak of. Despite good relations, Zan was never particularly close to either, considering them simply as friends he meets on occasion.

Garrick Yandson has had little contact with Zan, and most of it has been with Kahlia present, investigating the runes. He knows of Garrick’s reputation as a treasure hunter, but beyond that and a few business meetings, he’s had no reason to seek out Garrick’s company.

Last edited:

Ringmereth

First Post
Taviss Jarga
Class: Ranger 1
Race: Human
Hit Dice: 1d8+2, 10 HP
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (10 +3 dex +3 armor +1 shield)
Base Attack Bonus: +1
Grapple: +3
Attacks: Longbow +5 (1d8, x3, 100 ft), Battleaxe +3 (1d8+2, x3), Quarterstaff +3 (1d6+2, x2), Dagger +3 melee or +4 thrown (1d4+2, 19-20 x2, 10 ft)
Full Attack: Longbow +5 (1d8, x3, 100 ft), Battleaxe +3 (1d8+2, x3), Quarterstaff +3 (1d6+2, x2), Dagger +3 melee or +4 thrown (1d4+2, 19-20 x2, 10 ft)
Face/Reach: 5x5/5ft
Special Qualities: Favored Enemy (humans), Track, Wild Empathy, +2 resistance bonus on saves vs. disease
Special Attacks: n/a
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Strength 14, Dexterity 16, Constitution 14, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 12, Charisma 8
Skills: Climb +4* [2], Handle Animal +3 [4], Heal +7 [4], Hide +7* [4], Move Silently +7* [4], Search +2 [2], Spot +5 [4], Survival +7 [4] (* = -1 in studded leather or with buckler, -2 with both)
Feats: Weapon Focus (longbow), Point Blank Shot, Self-Sufficent, Action Boost
Languages: Common
Alignment: Neutral
Deity: None
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 148 lbs

Inventory:
Traveler's outfit (-)
Quarterstaff (-)
Longbow (75 gp)
60 arrows (3 gp)
Battleaxe (10 gp)
Dagger (2 gp)
Studded leather armor (25 gp)
Buckler (15 gp)
Bedroll (1 sp)
Hemp rope (1 gp)
Backpack (2 gp)
Gallon of ale (2 sp)
Trail rations x4 (2 gp)
Targath ring (5 gp)
Torch x3 (3 cp)
Flint and steel (1 gp)
Sack (1 sp)
8 gp, 5 sp, 7 cp

Appearance: Taviss Jarga's tough body is well-scarred from his military days with minor wounds, but he has little of the discipline he was once taught. His black hair and beard are both crudly trimmed, and his hands are dirty. He wears worn leather boots, a simple brown tunic and pants under leather armor studded with steel, and a belt; his dagger and axe are strapped to it, along with a small bag of his coin. A dull ring bearing a worn-down crest of Breland adorns his left hand, a token of his scouting days. His bow and quiver are strapped to his back over a knapsack filled with his possessions and a lightweight shield.

Personality: While unafraid to involve himself in the affairs of others, Taviss has seen too many friends die over years of war, and pushes away, physically or verbally, anyone who treats him as anything more than an ally. His language is blunt and unrefined, though he rarely talks more than he must. While he is no diplomat, he prefers to avoid violent confrontation with other humans, usually by keeping out of their way or staying out of their sight.

Biography: Taviss Jarga was born in rural eastern Breland to peasant farmers, and his family and village instilled in him a pride in his nation's traditions. He grew up an idealist, confident in the agricultural heritage of his country would be defended by Boranel's strong armies as war flared across Khorvaire. His hope did not wane when the wiry young man was conscripted into the military--he would have volunteered anyway.

"We cannot stand by and allow Cyran aggression to rob defenseless Brelanders of their land, their homes, their lives!" his officer shouted at the hastily trained archery unit. Taviss, not experienced enough to take orders with a grain of salt, cheered and waved goodbye as his company squeezed with sparse personal goods onto lightning rail coaches. He had never seen any villages razed or villagers turned refuge near the Cyran border, but nor had he ever come within fifty miles of that line.

A two days' march from the end of the rail line, Jarga's group and eight other units met a mixed force of cavalry skirmishers and shining warforged swordsmen. As his lieutenant urged them into easy range of the living constructs, Taviss' ideals began to crumble with the first of his nation's casualties in the engagement. He aimed and fired, he sent arrows flying into the flesh of the hostile horsemen, but when the Cyrans sent them running for reinforcements, his faith in Breland wavered.

While a wise leader might encourage defeated troops with stirring speeches, displays of strength, or effective counterassualts, Tarviss' instead let his unit sit in the mud for a week while rallying forces to strike back with, letting the discouraged soldiers mull over their new experiences. Jarga's conflicting emotions of patriotism and disgust were superceded by simple fear: I don't want to go back out there.

Back 'out there' was where he was bound, first to retailate against Cyre. It took only weeks for a truce to be reached and the two nations to ally against Karrnath, and Taviss found himself marching in ranks behind warforged; warforged who had sliced open the bodies of men who fit into his earliest memories, and now were only memories and hastily burried corpses. Many marches, battles, and dead friends later, the agile archer was tranfered by his commander to a scout unit. Taviss witnessed fewer battles spying under cover of darkness, but every time he returned to camp with information he remembered that his alliance was one with men who had killed his friends. That his country's war had taken lives for no purpose.

The last word in needless deaths was spoken, of course, on the Day of Mourning, around the time that Taviss' weary partners crossed the Cyre-Breland border with reports on Karrnathi advances. As the towering gray clouds swept over the landscape behind him, the ranger stopped and watched a nation pass away, and as the wall of mist came to rest at the border, he knew that whatever had befallen Cyre was at the hands of other men. He quickly slipped away from his own men, and headed south, running parallel to the border.

Two days into his journey, the thoroughly traumatized scout ran across a Cyran family and a well-armed warrior who called himself a monster hunter. "Better to slay monsters than men,"
Taviss declared. He lent his bow and axe to their defense as they travelled to Q'barra, but he refused to stay among the Cyran enclaves in the jungles, angered by the reminder of the
foolish wars of fellow men. He made his way with Ari the hexblade to a small town called Seawall, and promptly isolated himself from the goings-on of the town, prefering to lose himself in the jungle, hunt for food, and drink too much.

The ranger's antisocial behavior was only mitigated by the inspiration Ari's diligent defense of the town provided. While tired of killing men, he was without moral objection to fighting murderous lizardmen, and began to patrol the outer fringes of Seawall. He consulted no one in town, asking for nothing in return for his vigilance, and similarily ignored all attempts to interefere with his watch. As months passed, they began to appreciate Jarga's protection, even as he was regarded suspiciously. When reports of delayed shipping reached his ears, his responsibility to Seawall led him into town to join Ari and other volunteers in investigating.

- - - - -

Hoping this is more in line with what you're looking for. The latter two feats are Jarga's 'flavor' feats.

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
Bront said:
Besides, if you're investigating ruins, do you realy want to do it in your sunday best?

No, but when you're negotiating with the local authorities to get permission to investigate ruins, that's another story...

I went and put a courtier's outfit in her inventory, in any case.

Last edited:

Remove ads