Spelljammer Watch these preview videos -- SPELLJAMMER minis, Adventures in Space, Trailer

Here are three of the SPELLJAMMER preview videos show during today's D&D Direct event.

Here are three of the SPELLJAMMER preview videos shown during today's D&D Direct event.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.46.58 PM.png

JThursby

Adventurer
It doesn't look like change for the sake of change. It looks like change for the sake of making the prior element more useful in the new situation.
I agree, the two were basically redundant. It's like the Drift in Starfinder, it's basically redundant with the Astral Plane and/or Maelstrom.

Besides, I never liked the Phlogiston. Substituting real life space, which is an awesome locale for adventures and hazards in it's own right, for pseudo science inspired weirdness just bugged me.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Anyone else notice that the Star Frontiers races have now been basically brought over to 5e? Renamed of course... but definitely present. This looks great!
The hadozee, plasmoids, and thri-kreen were in 2nd edition too - the hadozee and plasmoids were direct D&D versions of the Yazirians and Dralasites, while the thri-kreen were in AD&D from the MM2 (whether their resemblance to the vrusk was intentional there or a coincidence I have no idea).

Seems they aren't using the Astral Plane and Astral Sea interchangeably in the product description are they?
Calling the Astral Plane the "home of the stars and gateway to the heavens" is an interesting turn of phrase. It's a very Ancient Mediterranean area view of the heavens - fly up far enough and you find the realm of the gods.

The Astral Sea/Astral Plane difference I would assume is that there are elements in the Astral that aren't the Astral Sea - islands, floating god corpses, and whatnot. I wonder what form color pools/color veils will take this time around.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
The Astral Sea/Astral Plane difference I would assume is that there are elements in the Astral that aren't the Astral Sea - islands, floating god corpses, and whatnot. I wonder what form color pools/color veils will take this time around.
I would put those in the Astral Sea. I like the sea version better than the old "space" version.

I'm really looking forward to this!

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I love the format, I just hoped for thicker books!

I dislike the move to more Astral Space and some of the playable races. The Giff are great, humanoid like Slime... Not so much...

This will probably get me to buy physical D&D products again (books+minis)... Even though actual play seems unlikely...

R_J_K75

Legend
This will probably get me to buy physical D&D products again (books+minis)
I stopped using minis when I DM unless really necessary and default to TotME. I think if they are releasing spelljamming ships as minis it will make the setting that much better, especially if they are on telescoping bases. 3D ship to ship combat was always difficult with the cut outs they provided in 2E. I will probably buy them as long as I know what Im getting. Im not into blind blister packs where I'll end up with 37 Galleons and no Nautaloids.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"that" being whether its change for the sake of change as I said or "change for the sake of making the prior element more useful in the new situation" as you put it.

Well, then no, it isn't a matter of opinion. The people who made the change did it for some reason that we do not actually know. The actual reason is not subject to our opinions - it exists separately from us or our speculations.

R_J_K75

Legend
Well, then no, it isn't a matter of opinion. The people who made the change did it for some reason that we do not actually know. The actual reason is not subject to our opinions - it exists separately from us or our speculations.
I stand corrected then...

Remove ads

Remove ads