D&D (2024) We have Arcane, Divine, and Primal lists now. Why not Psionic?

Yaarel

He Mage
They aren't.

No one is calling technology magic that isn't being facetious. Because the moment technology emulates a thing, it's technology.
Not sure what you are saying

Many people talk about technological magic. Whether as a formal genre of advanced technology or as an add for a high tech soap detergent.

Incenjucar

Legend
Not sure what you are saying

Many people talk about technological magic. Whether as a formal genre of advanced technology or as an add for a high tech soap detergent.
This is them using "magic" for "thing I don't understand" and then having a lot of those.

Magic, in speculative fiction such as fantasy, especially in systemized fantasy like D&D, uses the term to describe supernatural power that has distinct interactions with the world.

Yaarel

He Mage
This is them using "magic" for "thing I don't understand" and then having a lot of those.

Magic, in speculative fiction such as fantasy, especially in systemized fantasy like D&D, used the term to describe supernatural power that has distinct interactions with the world.
Here is one of the dictionary definitions.

"4. any mysterious or extraordinary quality or power: the magic of springtime."

I hear people normally use the term "magic" and "magical" to mean anything "extraordinary".

Yaarel

He Mage
Is this a Dungeons and Dragons dictionary?
My point is, Dungeons and Dragons relies on the English language.

D&D frequently becomes problematic and confusing when defying the English language. Consider the history of the incorrect D&D "longsword", or the misrepresentation of reallife cultural terms.

Elves and dragons are "magical". This may or may not be relevant to game rules.

When "mythic warriors" do magical things, it is more helpful for the game to define the term "Martial", rather than to define the term "magic".

Remove ads