D&D (2024) We have Arcane, Divine, and Primal lists now. Why not Psionic?

Yaarel

He Mage
I predict the 2024 core books will delete all references to Dark Sun.

Some of the setting concepts in Dark Sun will resurface elsewhere however.

Yaarel

He Mage
Maybe, 2024 will also delete all references to Eberron?

Currently, 5e seems to be segueing away from this setting, including its founder retiring from it.

Maybe, 2024 will also delete all references to Eberron?

Currently, 5e seems to be segueing away from this setting, including its founder retiring from it.
I don't think Wizards will retire it. It's theirs and it's popular.

Keith Baker has already done so much, and I don't blame him for pivoting to focus on new stuff that allows him to stretch his design and writing. Stuff that he owns (and I hope he can get paid for).

Yaarel

He Mage
I don't think Wizards will retire it. It's theirs and it's popular.

Keith Baker has already done so much, and I don't blame him for pivoting to focus on new stuff that allows him to stretch his design and writing. Stuff that he owns (and I hope he can get paid for).
I hope so.

Eberron is an important alternative setting to Forgotten Realms. Without Eberron, D&D becomes frighteningly totalitarian.

But 5e has officially made the FR gods factually exist in the Eberron setting. So Eberron as an alternative to FR seems dead already.

FR is the Star Trek borg.

Ondath

Hero
I find your counter-argument disingenuous and more than fairly misguided too so let's talk about that. I think that there is a difference of comparison between the problematic aspects of the game (e.g., racism, monsters, prostitution tables, comliness scores, etc.) and the presence of science-fiction elements or psionics in the game, which are (generally) not problematic in the same degree or reasons. Moreover there is also a difference of comparsion between the game mechanics that changed and whether science-fiction elements or psionics are in the game. A more apt comparison would be people who don't want monks in their core D&D and talk about much they hate them because it doesn't mix with their sense of "European fantasy."

So maybe before you declare my genuine argument to be disingenuous or that I'm acting in a misguided way, that you would check your own argument. Thanks.
First of all, I called your argument disingenious because your tone was fairly accusatory towards @Clint_L for no reason, and made it seem like his dislike of psionics (and desire to have his D&D without it) was something unusual. This is disingenious when removing things from the game has been a thing since a second DM other than Gary Gygax ran the game.

Second of all, I saw your reply to @MGibster that the racial examples were a moral false equivalence only after my comment was already posted. I agree that the moral weight of those examples does make the situation slightly different (in that it adds a moral reason as to why you might want to rid your table of those early influences). Which is precisely why I added other, non-morally relevant examples to my list, like descending AC. I can add more if needed: Exploration turns and resource-based dungeon crawling, alignment, random encounters, even the concept of experience. These are all things that were essential to how D&D was run in its early years, but we've had plenty of tables who have done without them, and nobody sneers at people who don't want them at their table (which is what you did to Clint_L).

And we can expand on your monk example even more: People who dislike high-level magic remove spellcasters altogether, or put a hard level cap at Level 6 so nobody can play a Level 20 Wizard. And, again, nobody snipes at them by saying "D&D had high-level magic from its inception, and you don't want them at your D&D? Puh-leeze."

Can you see why I found the way you completely disregarded a different way of playing D&D disingenuous?

Remove ads