• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapon Enchantment Stacking

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
I was curious, do you allow multiple elemental bonuses to damage to stack on a weapon? Like a +1 Flaming, Shocking, Thundering, Holy whatever sword? Or do you draw the line with one single elemental bonus? It seems to me that for a +1 enhancement, it gives back much more than just a flat +1 would. When several are added, it can get absurd.

Second, how do you interpret the line "Upon command, the weapon becomes sheathed in (whatever) energy..."? Is that a magic activation action, or just an odd choice of wording?

Thanks!

kreynolds

First Post
rushlight said:
I was curious, do you allow multiple elemental bonuses to damage to stack on a weapon? Like a +1 Flaming, Shocking, Thundering, Holy whatever sword? Or do you draw the line with one single elemental bonus?

Yup. I don't think anyone in our group has actually done it though.

rushlight said:
Second, how do you interpret the line "Upon command, the weapon becomes sheathed in (whatever) energy..."? Is that a magic activation action, or just an odd choice of wording?

It is magic activation, specifically command word activation (standard action). One standard action will activate only one of the enhancements.

Skinwalker

First Post
AFAIK, multiple enchantments of this type do work together. Logical exceptions could be made for putting Flaming and Frost on the same weapon, but there is nothing wrong with, say, a Corrosive Flaming sword.

Yes, it does get absurd. But, that's why we have Sunder and Disarm. :D

As far as the activation, I've seen this interpreted as it taking a Standard action to activate the elemental properties. I've also seen it interpreted that it takes a Standard action to activate *each* elemental property. I suppose the latter would be a good safeguard against the ol' Corrosive Flaming Burst Shocking Force sword.
:p

Spatzimaus

First Post
These guys have it covered. You can stack as many different ones as you want, but it takes 1 standard action to activate each one.

There's been a bigger debate over whether they stack with THEMSELVES. That is, I can have a Flaming Frost weapon, but can I have double Flaming? (In theory yes, but it'd require two actions to get to full power)

***HOUSE RULE***
Frankly, I've just found it easier to create larger enchantments that combine the damage types together. For example, you could add an enchantment that adds 1d10 Fire and 1d10 cold for a +3 cost. It'd be balanced, damagewise, and you won't have to ever worry if the player rememberd to turn on all enchantments of his sword.
***/HOUSE RULE***

Murrdox

First Post
AFAIK, multiple enchantments of this type do work together. Logical exceptions could be made for putting Flaming and Frost on the same weapon, but there is nothing wrong with, say, a Corrosive Flaming sword.

There is no such rule prohibiting having the Flaming, Shocking, Frost, or any combination thereof on a weapon that I am aware of. You can have Flaming and Frost on a weapon without any problems. They don't interfere with each other. It's magic. ;)

There's been a bigger debate over whether they stack with THEMSELVES.

Definitely not. You can't put Keen on a weapon twice, nor could you put Holy on a weapon twice, or Vorpal on a weapon twice. The only exception I can think of is that you could place Bane on a weapon more than once, as long as the two Bane enhancements applied to different creature types.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Murrdox said:
Definitely not. You can't put Keen on a weapon twice, nor could you put Holy on a weapon twice, or Vorpal on a weapon twice. The only exception I can think of is that you could place Bane on a weapon more than once, as long as the two Bane enhancements applied to different creature types.
Agreed.

A homebrewed "improvd flaming" weapon property would quickly get rid of that complaint though. (A use for the d12?)

Rav

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads