D&D 5E Weapons not on the weapons table: rough equivalents

l0lzero

First Post
I'm building a campaign setting and in this world, the various races all have alternate cultures (elves are asiatic, predominantly chinese, dwarves are russian, gnomes/halflings are german, three flavors of human, roman, irish, egyptian, orcs are middle-eastern, and then the other monstrous humanoids like goblins, kobolds, gnolls, ogres, etc., adhere to their more traditional fantasy cultures), and I wanted to include weapon variants for the stock MM statistics used to represent NPCs (like elven guards might use Dao, Tekkan, or Sasumata as opposed to longsword, mace, or halberd, whereas orc carvaneers would typically use shotel, khopesh, and katar, as opposed to shortswords, axes, and daggers, etc.) of the various regions more accurately, so I decided to start making a list that would compile a wide variety of weapons from various cultures, and try to tie them in to the weapons table as best I could. But there are quite a few weapons that are close, but don't quite fit right. Sooo, I figured I'd ask people's opinions on here as to what they think are appropriate equivalents and for weapons that don't have equivalents, what would be appropriate rules regarding their use. Without further rambling, here is the list in no particular order.

Ankus – dagger (more accurately described as a pick, used to train elephants, hindu)
Kukri – dagger (angled dagger, similar to machete but short)
Khyber Knife – dagger (curve-bladed stabbing knife from the middle east)
Kama – dagger (dagger with handle perpendicular to blade)
Tanto – Dagger (yay tac-knives)
Bagh Naja – Dagger (hindu tiger claws)
Emeici – Dagger (imagine a double arrow dagger, but the arrow shafts are metal)
Katar – Dagger (punching dagger)
Jitte – club (a blunt dagger-like weapon)
Tambo – club (a short staff)
Tonfa – club (night-stick)
Boomerang – light hammer (non-returning kind of boomerang common in north-central Australia)
Pinuti – Short Sword (simple saber like design, straight blade, ~22 inches long in total)
Hudie Shuangdao – Short Sword (butterfly swords, wide blades)
Moplah – (wide double bladed short sword, large handle, consider making versatile, hindu-muslim weapon)
Patag – short sword (hindu-asian straight bladed short sword)
Shotel – scimitar (significantly curved compared to scimitar)
Shuang Gou – rapier (for damage and finesse property only, consider adding light since they were designed to be wielded in pairs)
Dao – Longsword (Chinese longsword)
Talwar – Longsword (middle eastern, non versatile)
Jian – Rapier (Chinese thin, thrusting sword)
Zhanmadao – Great Sword (giant Dao)
Panabas – battle axe (muslim and asian cultures used it, weird shape, used like an axe)
Khopesh – handaxe (Egyptian sickle sword that evolved from battle axes)
Guandao – Glaive (large bladed Chinese polearm)
Uchigatana – Longsword (successor to the tachi, precursor to the katana)
Odachi – Greatsword (giant katana)
Nagamaki – Greatsword (or glaive, not particularly sure on this one)
Naginata – Glaive (katana on the end of a pole)
Ge – Halberd (the dagger axe)
Yueyachan – Spear? (monk’s spade, Chinese polearm)
Feng Huo Lun – Dagger (Wind and Fire Rings, melee version of chakrams)
Chakram – Dart (middle eastern thrown weapon)
Suburito – Warhammer (like the bokken, but heavier “blade” portion makes it more effective)
Kanabo – warhammer (but kind of looks like a greatclub)
Bokken – greatclub (consider adding finesse, wooden sword)
Tekkan – greatclub (it’s a cudgel, shaped like a tachi, made of metal)
Tsukubo – Maul (not really many appropriate polearms, decided maul was best)
Eku – Maul (think if you weaponized oars)
Chui – Maul (instead of a flat head it’s a metal sphere)
Sasumata – Halberd (forked blade, thought trident, not good fit)
Sodegarami – Halberd (very similar to a halberd, more “ornate” blade but very similar)

Some weapons I’m not so sure how to adequately represent:
Kusarigama, Chigiriki (similar enough to the chang xiao bang/two-section staff), Kyoketsu-Shoge, liuxing chui (meteor hammer, surujin), panlong gun (similar to three section staff)

A lot of weapons have analogues on the weapon table (though my choices might not be particularly accurate), but there are some that aren’t quite great matches, and then others that have no weapons table analogue.
I want to, as much as possible, stick strictly to lumping “exotic” weapons (not exotic mechanically, I just mean not Eurocentric) together with their already extant counterparts, but some weapons really don’t have a good counter-part; Chigiriki for instance is basically a flail, but also a pole-arm, is it cool to give it flail damage but then just throw reach on it? What about the liuxing chui, it’s metal weights with chain between it, it’s basically the weapon the crazy 88’s schoolgirl from Kill Bill (and the runner chick from Battle Royale, :p ) uses (minus the saw blades obviously), what’s a good analogue for that? Do I just make it light hammers that return since they’re attached to a chain?
What do you guys think? What critiques do you have of this list?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Nice list. You might consider going scimitar instead of longsword on stuff like the Pinuti; shortsword and scimitar are mechanically identical except one is piercing and the other slashing. Also, I don't know that a bokken is heavy enough to rate as a great club and might just be a club.

Kusarigama could use spear statistics. It's a sickle with reach. Can't set against a charge though. Hmm.

For Chigiriki I'd go flail. It's close enough.

Kyoketsu-shoge could also be spear, maybe?

Actually, the maybes aren't really cutting it (ha!). You might need to a couple of weapons to the lost of availables.

Living chui could be bola. Is bola on the regular list? I'm away from my books right now.

Panlong gun I'd just go heavy flail again.

My 2 cops.

Fralex

Explorer
Reading up on it, the liuxing chui (wait, this is also called a meteor hammer?! That's the coolest weapon name ever!) seems like it could best be represented by a whip if you change the damage to bludgeoning. That will simulate its long reach, and the fact that its greatest threat is its speed.

Chigiriki seems close enough to a pike for your purposes. Plus that will make it compatible with Polearm Master.

If you can't seem to find a great equivalent for every weapon, keep in mind that in the grand scheme of things it's not going to matter hugely if some of your weapon translations are close, but don't quite fit right. The original weapon table doesn't totally simulate every weapon on it, and there are probably other things about your setting you'll want to spend more time on.

l0lzero

First Post
I was thinking about the bokken and i think upon further consideration i should make it like a staff, doesn't seem like a d4 weapon to me.

I agree that greatclub is not a good fit for it.

Chigiriki is a polearm is, which there aren't any bludgeoning polearms, which, ok, whatevs i guess, just odd.

This list didn't take me very long to write up actually, mainly because it's not exhaustive, as there won't be every weapon available, just the ones i think are appropriate to the setting. I just want to make sure i am representing them accurately without deviating from the core too much (don't want to accidentally break something and ruin the whole thing lol).

wheeeeeeeeee...

l0lzero

First Post
After taking into account the above posts (not counting Mad_Jack's which I didn't see until I had finished the list), I have completed a basic table, divided into simple and martial, with prices and weights that are roughly in-line with extant PHB options. Many more polearm options available, since they were used a LOT throughout history (seriously, I left out sooo freakin' many polearm weapons, it's not even funny, in the slightest). Decided to go with whip as a base (was originally going to do dagger/handaxe/light hammer with 10/15 for range, make it return after the attack with it resolved) for the kusarigama, kyoketsu-shoge, and Liuxing Chui, and then just change the damage type accordingly.

Thinking about adding some of them to the monk weapon proficiency list (since, y'know, many of them are literally monk weapons).

The Nagimaki totally looks like someone took a katana blade, stuck it on the end of a staff, and then wrapped it up and called it a handle, which I why I classified it as a polearm rather than a heavy two-handed blade like a greatsword (looks about the same size as a katana blade, and it requires two-handing, so I kept with the 1d10, what it would do utilizing versatile, and gave it reach, but maybe I should take reach off of it, and change it to a d12? Opinions?)

Here be the pdf of the tables (oh, yeah, threw in some alternate armor ideas at the end as well)
View attachment weapon-armor(beta).pdf

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
One thing to keep in mind (I'm working on a vaguely similar game) is that some weapons didn't have a "fixed" length. Most katars are indeed largeish daggers, but some had blades that put them squarely in the short sword territory. The same thing can be said of the kris. You might end up having to have two set of stats

CTurbo

Explorer
The Kukri is more similar to the scimitar than a dagger.

Karambit is a nice almost hidden daggerish weapon.

Spiked chain?
Sai?
Nunchaku?
two handed morningstar!

l0lzero

First Post
I had considered that, but I'm not sure how to really distinguish it without giving it a weird name (like the long/heavy/large katar for a bigger blade, or the short/light katar for the shorter ones). I'd really like to have a specific name to base it off of, like the differentiation between various dao. I mean, I'm not necessarily tied to the actual names, but then I have to write up descriptions for each weapon, and that seems like a lot of extra effort when I could just use the actual names and save my creative energy for NPCs and plotlines and histories (8 nations with 3 more in the underdark, and a floating continent, around 130 locations and I want to have a couple generic quests for each civilized location). I was just thinking about how I'm converting the race's cultures and so I should get some more appropriate weapons and armor to diversify the setups of NPCs (and therefor also the PCs) so that they aren't just all the same shortsword/longsword/spear wielding goons, but also not imbalance the game by over-valuing the effectiveness of certain weapons. By having a complete list with stats there's no need for someone to guess whether I intended the tekkan to count as a sword, or as a cudgel, because it's already listed in a handy table that both DM and players can reference (especially when listing out NPCs that use such weapons, like elven guards tend to wield X weapon and dwarven constables tend to utilize Y weapon).

Remove ads