D&D General What are good secret code decorations or tchotchkes to signal you are a gamer to other gamers in non-gamer environments

DrJawaPhD

Explorer
Oh! Literally anything with “Is it Thursday yet?” printed on it would actually be perfect. That seems entirely innocuous in an office setting, since it’s so adjacent to “Thank Goodness it’s Friday”, but it’s actually a reference to Critical Role, which is live on Thursdays, and fans would recognize because Matt Mercer repeats it at the end of each episode.
I would've taken that to be a subtle reference to being an alcoholic - never seen Critical Role but Thursday is the standard day for work happy hours. Depends on the workplace though

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
1712216194499.png

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
They may not have played D&D, but they have played Elden Ring. No need for secracy.
Not so much secrecy. Subtlety. A lost of D&D and fantasy art is gamish and would not fit the environment I work in. This isn't a place where you are going to have a bunch of Funko figures and flashy fantasy art. Beyond that its more my style to make a nod to geekery rather than shout it.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Oh! Literally anything with “Is it Thursday yet?” printed on it would actually be perfect. That seems entirely innocuous in an office setting, since it’s so adjacent to “Thank Goodness it’s Friday”, but it’s actually a reference to Critical Role, which is live on Thursdays, and fans would recognize because Matt Mercer repeats it at the end of each episode.
I've been at this a long time and would never have caught that "Is it Thursday yet?" reference as being gaming-related; even less so as Thursday used to be pub night in days of old... :)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I've been at this a long time and would never have caught that "Is it Thursday yet?" reference as being gaming-related; even less so as Thursday used to be pub night in days of old... :)
Well, yeah, that’s exactly the point. From the opening post, I got the impression that their workplace was in some way hostile towards gaming, so I recommended a reference that would be easily recognized by an in-group (people who have watched some amount of Critical Role, which is probably the majority of D&D players at this point) and would come across as completely unrelated to gaming for anyone else. The fact that you, as someone who isn’t part of that in-group would have misinterpreted the reference means it’s working as intended.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Well, yeah, that’s exactly the point. From the opening post, I got the impression that their workplace was in some way hostile towards gaming, so I recommended a reference that would be easily recognized by an in-group (people who have watched some amount of Critical Role, which is probably the majority of D&D players at this point) and would come across as completely unrelated to gaming for anyone else. The fact that you, as someone who isn’t part of that in-group would have misinterpreted the reference means it’s working as intended.
Uhhh...if trying to send a code to other gamers, what's the point of using a code that IME a very great number of gamers wouldn't catch?

Having something like a d20-motif coaster on your workdesk would be a far more universal signal. Or a coffee mug with a d20 or D&D logo on it (or, as with one mug I have, "GEN CON" in great big letters). Or a D&D-themed screensaver and-or on-screen wallpaper.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Uhhh...if trying to send a code to other gamers, what's the point of using a code that IME a very great number of gamers wouldn't catch?

Having something like a d20-motif coaster on your workdesk would be a far more universal signal. Or a coffee mug with a d20 or D&D logo on it (or, as with one mug I have, "GEN CON" in great big letters). Or a D&D-themed screensaver and-or on-screen wallpaper.
Depending on how subtle the OP has to be, he may have to accept something that isn’t universally known. That said, Critical Role is pretty widely known these days. Maybe you’re overdue to update your references, daddy-o, and get hip to the now.

Remove ads