D&D 5E What are the Roles now?

Roles are only useful in games where intricate character building is part of the mechanics, because the bonuses in play radically limit the possibility of success for characters behaving out of build. 5e's bounded accuracy minimizes this mechanic, leaving many more options open for characters. So roles become tactical choices that vary from situation to situation or even round to round in 5e.

...I...what? How on earth can a Wizard actually protect anybody, other than blowing a spell slot (which they've always been able to blow on doing something protective--even in 4e, as I understand it)?

Off the top of my head, here are the ways for a wizard to protect someone without using spell slots:

* They can cast Ray of Frost on an enemy to hamper its movement, allowing someone to stay out of range of a threat in combat.
* An Abjurer can use Arcane Ward to protect someone from damage, and then recharge it afterward using Alarm (no spell slot cost).
* Similarly, a Diviner can forewarn someone of danger (i.e. use Portent) to protect them against failed saves.
* A wizard can grapple the enemy to prevent them from moving into range of the protectee. (Helps if you're a Soldier wizard with Athetics proficiency. Also your familiar can Help you grapple him.) That helps protect someone during combat.
* Also during combat, a wizard can stand in the way of a monster to prevent him from moving within range of someone (e.g. another wizard, or a wounded comrade) unless the monster Overbears him.
* He can also make opportunity attacks on monsters which try to move past him. Usually, damage-dealing doesn't really protect anyone but there are corner cases (stirges!) where an opportunity attack genuinely is likely to take out a threat before it can attack.
* They can cast Alarm on the entrance/exit which an anticipated threat is likely to use. That helps protect someone(s) during a period of extended waiting.

For the most part this is about the wizard using the basic capabilities common to all characters: HP, ability to occupy a square, access to skills, opportunity attack. He's probably only half as effective at these things as a fighter would be, but half isn't zero.

I hope you've enjoyed the illustration of how a wizard can protect others, when necessary, without blowing spell slots. Of course it's usually quicker to blow a spell slot, but you were the one who chose that extra requirement...

Last edited:

Bluenose

Adventurer
It's useless. Take a look at the fighter, which is your example. The fighter was not a defensive character, heavily armored, not particularly adept at dealing damage to large numbers of targets and typically not ranged combatants. The fighter always varied according to how it was played, so what you describe as recognition was wrong, and the support you describe rewarded only those ideas which so many groups never would have recognized. It is much better to speak to the truth, that every class can be played how you wish, and to provide supportive abilities everyone can enjoy.

Blatant self-contradiction. If the class doesn't have the ability to do the things you say it isn't good at, how can it be played "how you wish"?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Off the top of my head, here are the ways for a wizard to protect someone without using spell slots:

* They can cast Ray of Frost on an enemy to hamper its movement, allowing someone to stay out of range of a threat in combat.
* An Abjurer can use Arcane Ward to protect someone from damage, and then recharge it afterward using Alarm (no spell slot cost).
* Similarly, a Diviner can forewarn someone of danger (i.e. use Portent) to protect them against failed saves.
* A wizard can grapple the enemy to prevent them from moving into range of the protectee. (Helps if you're a Soldier wizard with Athetics proficiency. Also your familiar can Help you grapple him.) That helps protect someone during combat.
* Also during combat, a wizard can stand in the way of a monster to prevent him from moving within range of someone (e.g. another wizard, or a wounded comrade) unless the monster Overbears him.
* He can also make opportunity attacks on monsters which try to move past him. Usually, damage-dealing doesn't really protect anyone but there are corner cases (stirges!) where an opportunity attack genuinely is likely to take out a threat before it can attack.
* They can cast Alarm on the entrance/exit which an anticipated threat is likely to use. That helps protect someone(s) during a period of extended waiting.

For the most part this is about the wizard using the basic capabilities common to all characters: HP, ability to occupy a square, access to skills, opportunity attack. He's probably only half as effective at these things as a fighter would be, but half isn't zero.

I hope you've enjoyed the illustration of how a wizard can protect others, when necessary, without blowing spell slots. Of course it's usually quicker to blow a spell slot, but you were the one who chose that extra requirement...

Is the snark really necessary? I made the "no blown spell slot" requirement because, let's face it, spells in 5e (as well as 3e) can do just about anything, for at least a single round and often a whole combat (it's a bit part of why LFQW happened in 3e). However, addressing the things you mention here:
1) Cantrip spells can affect enemy movement in 4e, too, so that's hardly new.
2) The ward technically appears to not require a spell, sure, but recharging it does: doesn't the text read that you must cast a spell of 1st level or higher to recharge it? But fair enough, it's not technically a spell slot and it does protect an ally.
3) I would need to pore over 4e Wizard options. I'd be surprised if this doesn't exist at all, but it probably doesn't happen as early as the Diviner gets it. Point sort of taken, though by that same token the Portent is widely recognized as extremely powerful.
4) 4e Wizards can grapple too.
5) Wizards have always been able to stand in the way of things, and in 4e there's explicit support for it. Staff Wizards are highly defensive.
6) AoOs and OAs existed in 3e and 4e respectively, and for a Wizard with an at-will that counts as a Basic Attack, they can be pretty damn potent.
7) That's...not really "protection." It's warning, which is very useful, but an alarm is not itself "protection." Perhaps I'm splitting hairs there, but I see that as a pretty significant distinction.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
Blatant self-contradiction. If the class doesn't have the ability to do the things you say it isn't good at, how can it be played "how you wish"?

I was saying the fighter is not always or mainly any of the those things, which I was quoting from the other poster. So I am saying the fighter was
- not always (or mainly) a defensive character
- not always (or mainly) heavily armored
- (but yes) adept at dealing damage to large numbers of targets, and
- (and yes) typically a ranged combatant or melee combatant.

I feared it would be misinterpreted, so I should have edited it.

I get that you like combat roles, but might I suggest using Skip Williams' sturdy brawler?

I think the issues you're not seeing are best illustrated by the term, "muscle", as opposed to defender. The fighter is like the party's muscle, rather than its defender or "meat shield". Basically, the fighter will use force. The fact he may be "durable" comes with the territory, but because he typically attacks he shouldn't be called a defensive character. The rogue maybe, or the wizard, but not any character who can charge in first. In 5th Edition, everyone can do so much in a fight.

RE #2: You don't need to spend spell slots to cast spells. Alarm is a ritual and restores 2 HP to the ward per casting.

I'll take your word for it on the 4E bits; I'm not really that interested in comparing 4E to 5E.

Alarm as "protection": I was trying to think outside the box, beyond mere combat protection. I thought about including scrying/divinations as a way of protecting someone against social intrigue/politics but then realized that that requires spell slots, so wouldn't count.

I wasn't trying to be snarky BTW; I'm genuinely puzzled why you imposed that requirement, but thought it was an interesting enough challenge to be worth brainstorming.

Last edited:

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned

Your knowledge of tactics and strategy is really great!

pemerton

Legend
I wouldn't want the game to tell players what the combat role of the characters of a given class is, though.
AD&D tells players that fighters fight (it's in the class name, the hit dice, the attack tables) and that magic-users are very vulnerable and should avoid being caught in open melee. Gygax, in his rules for levelling, expressly calls out the player of a fighter whose PC cowers, or the player of a MU whose PC gets into melee, as POOR players.

How is this not the game telling players what the combat roles of characters of these classes is?

Find me a single dictionary definition of "leader" that includes the act of healing or "supporting" others. Leader means leading others

<snip>

Semantics matters.
And everyone also knows the combat involves both offense and defense. To call the fighter a defender is to make them choose between the two

<snip>

The wizard, meanwhile, doesn't really control anything.
The designers shouldn't have tried to pick single words to encompass them.
Seriously?

The meanings of the 4e role lables was discussed in detail some hundreds of posts upthread.

These complaints are about as powerful as complaining that because my class is called Thief, I am obliged to steal stuff; that because my class is called Cleric, that I am obliged to spend my time copying religious manuscripts; that because my class is not called Magic-User, I can't cast spells or use any other magic; that because my class is not called Fighter, I can't fight; or that because my class is called Fighter, I can't negotiate or retreat.

The game has been giving generic English words the job of serving as technical labels since day 1. 4e didn't suddenly just conjure this out of nowhere!

BryonD

Hero
AD&D tells players that fighters fight (it's in the class name, the hit dice, the attack tables) and that magic-users are very vulnerable and should avoid being caught in open melee. Gygax, in his rules for levelling, expressly calls out the player of a fighter whose PC cowers, or the player of a MU whose PC gets into melee, as POOR players.

How is this not the game telling players what the combat roles of characters of these classes is?
This is COMPLETELY different.

The mechanics making the game actually work one way and the author telling you how you SHOULD work the game another way are not the same thing.

The game has been giving generic English words the job of serving as technical labels since day 1. 4e didn't suddenly just conjure this out of nowhere!

True, but it did make them vastly more heavy handed. And just as you like to drop Gygax quotes regarding AD&D, I've already pointed out where Collins openly described this for 4E. (and he WAS talkign about mechanics, not what was "poor play" on the players part.)
I love the contribution all the early flavors of D&D brought to the table. But "modern" gaming has evolved and (IMO) significantly improved from that time. If TTRPGs had not progressed beyond AD&D and you brought me a copy of 4E one day, I suspect I'd be quite content with it. If I'd never seen any RPG before in my life and you showed me 4E, I'd be blown away. But in either case if you brought me 3E or 5E (or many other modern games) two months later, my 4E playing days would end very quickly.

When talking about how modern players perceive 4E, you can't take it out of the context of other games. It is probably true that there are a lot of people who used to love AD&D, then loved 3E and hated 4E. And when you talk to them they will speak well of both games they loved. But their memory of AD&D is often blurred by nostalgia.

Eric V

Hero

Seriously?

The meanings of the 4e role lables was discussed in detail some hundreds of posts upthread.

These complaints are about as powerful as complaining that because my class is called Thief, I am obliged to steal stuff; that because my class is called Cleric, that I am obliged to spend my time copying religious manuscripts; that because my class is not called Magic-User, I can't cast spells or use any other magic; that because my class is not called Fighter, I can't fight; or that because my class is called Fighter, I can't negotiate or retreat.

Seriously. If people are resorting to this, maybe all that can be said about this has been said?

Having perused the thread off and on for its entirety, it seems it comes down to which parts of the written rules people feel comfortable adhering to or not. For some, one can make a great archer in 4e by going ranger, but they simply cannot countenance putting the word "ranger" in the section for class on their character sheet; it has to read "fighter" for them, because the word "ranger" evokes a different image, regardless that the mechanics don't match that image. Similarly, people take the idea of 4e roles that way: yes, one can build a great damage-dealing fighter, but because it has the word "defender" in its description it throws people off.

Not every class can do everything. That has been a true fact since at least 1e. Doesn't stop you from playing a party of rogues, but you're going to face problems without the DM offering things in the narrative to shore up where your party is lacking. If some classes are better (in some cases, way better) than at some things than others, then that is where the roles in the party start to get defined. It really is as simple as that. I guess some people got really offended, when WotC had the audacity to try to capture some of that with titles like "defender".

Eirikrautha

First Post
OK. I'll try this one more time. Long post to follow. Where I make statements about play-styles, these are in my experience in the various groups I have played in over the last 35+ years. They may not be your play-styles, but they ARE ours.

Let's start with the basics. D&D, as a game, uses dice mechanics to adjudicate the results of player actions. The mechanics of these rolls have changed between various incarnations/editions of the game. The first edition and AD&D, because they were adaptations of what originally was a tactical war-game, had a variety of (generally) disconnected mechanisms for adjudicating how a dice roll affected what you, as the character, were trying to accomplish. Sometimes you rolled high for success. Sometimes low meant success. Often you would roll different types of dice (d20 vs d100). Because of these differences, there was very little synergy between the various mechanisms. The only way to increase your sneak skill was gaining a level in thief or through using one of a handful of magic items (Dex had so little effect that the maximum bonus on most thief skills was +10% at an 18, an uncommon score to say the least). Other changes to your character really didn't affect that skill in any way.

Because of this, build choices were very limited. There is an EXCELLENT thread on the boards right now about the old L&L columns that has demonstrated this. I believe the thread author found something like 6 character choices necessary to build an AD&D character. What does this mean? Outside of the features of the class (like hp, backstab, turning undead), the tactical role of a character in combat was unconstrained. Take a fighter, for example. In AD&D, a fighter had the ability to wear armor, along with the ability to excel in melee combat. This did not mean that the fighter had the "role" of defender, or striker, or anything else. What it meant was, the fighter had the ability to, depending on the circumstances of the adventure, use tactics that would fit a variety of circumstances. If my party was about to face a kobold army, the fighter might dress in plate mail and shield and try to prevent the kobolds from meleeing the squishier characters. If we are sneaking into a fortress, the fighter could wear lighter armor and wield a larger weapon. Or, the fighter could use a strength-bow and light armor, to be a mobile, ranged combatant. In a game where gp were xp, tactics varied wildly from encounter to encounter, as many groups played to maximize profit and minimize danger. The fighter had no "role" outside of the limitations built into his class (which were specialized, like not healing, and few).

Move to the end of 2e (during splatmania). The designers were beginning a process of unifying the mechanics of D&D. Now the various dice rolls to determine success would be more similar, based off of the same kind of roll with many of the same contributing components. By 3e and 3.5, the process had created a game system that was remarkably unified (d20 rolls versus DCs for just about everything). It also, by consequence, was very synergistic. Because the mechanics were so intertwined, a change in one feature of the character might cascade into many different rolls and bonuses. In addition, the number of character choices skyrocketed (I believe the other thread counted 16ish). Now this synergy meant that there were multiple ways to increase the bonuses to any particular roll. So, as players made choices about their characters, the characters became more adept at rolls based on those choices (Because what good are choices if they have no effect? That's actually not true, but a very common question/attitude nonetheless). Soon, especially by mid-levels, this synergy had produced bonuses so high that the non-specialized cannot even think of attempting things that he has not purposely built for.

Let's take 3.5/Pathfinder (because PF is the last game I played regularly before 5e, and it's pretty much 3.5 on steroids). Let's say you want to play a character who grapples his opponents in combat. You cannot simply decide in the middle of a combat that you want to grab an opponent and have it work. Why not? Because the mechanical synergy works against the changing of roles. You see, as characters level, they gain more bonuses. These bonuses (from feats, ability scores, and other character options) can be (and most often are) directed to maximize one portion of your characters combat "role," at the expense of the others. If you pick the right feats, you can have an AC in the mid-20s by 3rd level. This will mean that, by not picking other feats, your damage may be much smaller than another character of the same class, while his AC might only be in the teens. So back to our grappler. By mid-levels, the scores that are needed to grapple tough opponents have risen so high that you must invest many of your character choices in grappling in order to be effective. This means that you will not be effective when trying to do just about anything other than grappling (play with a grapple-monk for direct experience of this). When you face foes that have not been built to have strong defenses against grappling, you will defeat them with ease. When they have been built to oppose you, another non-grapple invested character will have NO chance to grapple them, because the number needed to do so is extraordinarily high. Thus were combat "roles" born!

Combat roles are the direct consequence of unbounded bonuses. When a system is synergetic and unbounded, investment in some mechanical benefits preclude increasing other mechanical benefits. This means that some mechanical effects quickly become ridiculously easy to accomplish, while others not invested-in stay the same difficulty. As a result, when challenges are created to test one mechanical effect, they must have an extremely high roll in order to make them challenging for the specialist. This removes them from any chance of success for the non-specialist in that area. So, as a consequence, most characters are specialized for their combat "role", with much less utility outside of it. Varied challenges are accomplished, not by the same character, but by having a wide build-diversity among your party. And woe unto the party that doesn't have the specialist for any particular monster (TPK).

Now, I'm going to take a brief digression to address the length of this thread. It has 100+ pages because, so far, it hasn't been a discussion. For some reason, various posters who are fans of particular editions of D&D feel the need to tell others about that edition and how it is misrepresented. Telling is not discussing. It is also irrelevant to this topic. I don't care which edition you love. I don't care how 4e is played, what the rules are, what roles "really" mean to those who play it the "right" way. This isn't about 4e. The only tangential connection between this thread and 4e is that, as a mechanically synergistic and unbounded edition of D&D, it has some similar features to 3e, in that characters can be built to maximize their effectiveness in performing some combat mechanics (about 18 choices per starting character, as per the other thread). That's it. You can love 4e all you want. You can get a full-body tattoo of the rules if you want. Awesome. Enjoy the heck out of it! But 4e has no bearing on the basics of this discussion. So, the next time you get the urge to press "4" then "e" on your keyboard, just remember that I DON'T CARE. This thread (and my argument) is not about any other edition than 5e (Look at the title of the thread, eh?).

OK, back to the essay. So what relation does 5e have to mechanistic combat "roles"? Well, 5e's bounded accuracy has made the equation quite different. Although still synergistic, bounded accuracy means that this difference between a character who has invested his many fewer mechanical options (even less than the 13 choices noted in the other thread, because some of the background choices have no mechanical effect!) in a particular set of abilities does not have a dramatically greater chance of succeeding than someone who hasn't. A character with a 15 AC (medium - Chain shirt plus a Dex bonus) can "tank" if needed almost as well as an AC 18 (heavy - plate mail or chain mail plus shield). They do not have to build/specialize their character in order to use a particular tactic, unless that tactic is reserved only for a specific class (Dirty Trick, etc.). So what had been "roles" based on the mechanics of the game, have now become "tactics," to be used by a wide variety of characters based on the circumstances of the combat and not on the choices made by the player when building the character 10 levels ago. So, like the first editions of D&D, characters no longer have combat roles based on the mechanics of the game. They have classes, which grant them some abilities other characters might not have. Everything else is tactics.

Woah! Stop! You started to hit the "4" key... I saw it! Remember, I don't care. This isn't about any edition other than 5e. To effectively disagree, you need to establish that the mechanics of this game require a player to build his character, through mechanical choices outside of his class, to accomplish a specific set of rolls in combat or be completely ineffective at them because of the mechanics of the game system. He must BUILD a "striker" or he cannot do effective damage. He must BUILD a "defender" or he cannot face opponents to restrict their movement. Otherwise, there are NO ROLES in 5e. Just tactics. Period.

Last edited:

Remove ads