D&D 5E What are the things in D&D Next you don't like?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Humans get +1 to all ability scores. Since humans are the definition of average, that means all races get -1 at everything, except the stat they are really good at, at which they are just average.

Yeah, that's how it seems to me, too. All races but humans are rubbish at everything, except one thing where they're lucky enough to be as good as humans.

This annoys me so very very much, that I don't even feel like really reading the rest of the rules in depth.

Not that, though.

Sadras

Legend
Humans get +1 to all ability scores. Since humans are the definition of average, that means all races get -1 at everything, except the stat they are really good at, at which they are just average.

This annoys me so very very much, that I don't even feel like really reading the rest of the rules in depth.
I agree the +1 is a little bland, I would hope they give suggestions to DMs how they can modify this (my suggestions below), but not necessarily make it a fixed rule allow the DM/Group to be a little proactive in the design process - make the system yours. So with that in mind, given that humans have always been the most versatile race (perhaps not as much in 4E, stand to be corrected).
Well the simple way around that would be to replace some of the +1's with mini-feats, proficiencies or languages or better yet spend a few +1's and bump up/meld their Background. i.e. Humans are fickle creatures, before becoming adventurers they tried their luck at a few different skills/crafts/professions - so perhaps a they dabbled with two Artisan crafts, or you grew up in poverty and ended up belonging to a Thieves Guild, so you learned their Cant, but something happened along the way that made you turn to religion , so your character has the Priest Background, but you also have the Thieves' Cant trait.

Kinak

First Post
What others mentioned:
I agree on the humans. I don't really care if it's balanced or unbalanced, it just feels wrong.

I can also guarantee we won't be playing the game with its present math. I don't particularly care, but the bonuses remain small enough that they get swallowed by the d20 and one of my players absolutely will not stand for that.

My take:

Most of the system just doesn't elicit strong emotions one way or the other, though. I don't need much to get me excited enough to pick up a game, but D&D Next isn't there yet.

The only class I was excited about was the old playtest sorcerer. Which is fine, because I mostly GM anyway.

The mechanic I was most excited about was advantage/disadvantage, but it's gotten baked in so many places it doesn't do what I wanted it to anymore. It also becomes cumbersome with the addition of multi-attacks.

They could put out monsters that are easy to run and engaging, but for right now I'd still be looking at tearing out the monsters and redoing them all, completely defeating the point of switching for me.

So it's not that there's a deal-breaker for me, really, just a deep lack of deal-makers.

Cheers!
Kinak

Last edited:

Multiclass. Lack of support for 2E-style multiclassing is almost a deal breaker to me. Not even with a 10-ft. pole I want to come near a 3E-style multiclass system again.

Cheers,

The fact that the designers still haven't learned that mechanical dice wankery for every aspect of the game is a big turnoff for those who prefer to let players actually play instead of serving as mobile die rollers.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Blackbrrd said:
What's mechanical dice wankery?

I'll tell you when you're older.

YakkoWakkoDot-Goodnight-Everybody.gif

1of3

Explorer
* Odd numbered ability scores still don't do anything.

This, I can get behind.

It would be quite simple to do. Put bonus languages on odd Int, bonus AC on odd Dex, item attunement on odd Cha, calculate HP in a way that cares about the full score, and something for Wisdom.

Other than that: Prerequisites for Multiclassing. They do not harm players with a ready build, but those player who would like an organic character development.

They also do not make sense the way they are, even if you accept them: Archers do not require Str. Why would a chararcter multiclassing into Fighter to become a better archer require Str?

Remove ads