D&D 5E What are the things in D&D Next you don't like?

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Let's discuss the things we don't like about the game and why.

Well it's obvious I have an issue with the "rule that will not be named".

I also don't like the whole "hit dice" = "healing surges" thing and wish it would take a hike.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
  • I don't like returning to different PC types playing radically different games.
  • I don't like taking 4e concepts and displacing them radically from their intended role in 4e. Healing surges lose their essential nature when they no longer interact with healing. The fiction no longer becomes about inspiration, shock, and endurance. Instead healing becomes a magic touch and undercuts questions of faith.
  • I don't like there being no avenger analogue that is remotely reminiscent of the play experience of the 4e Avenger.
  • I don't like the lack of active mechanical decisions for martial types.
  • I don't like the lack of inspirational healing.
  • I don't like a resource management system that limits the scope of the game's narrative.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I think I should preface this by saying that overall I really like DnDN. But, there are some things I don't like about it.

* Odd numbered ability scores still don't do anything.
* Imbalance between the abilities: Dex is the god stat; Str, Int and Cha saves are few and far between; archers, monks and finesse weapon users can totally ignore strength as a stat and not really care, etc.
* HP scaling: 1st level hp are too low, and characters gain HP way too fast from levels, far outpacing the rate at which characters improve in damage, especially spells. All to resurrect a sacred cow that 4e rightly made into hamburger.
* Hit dice as the new healing surges. Old HD and 4e Healing Surges should never have made a baby with each other, and it shows. Their child, new HD, is ugly.
* Fighters get more attacks than barbarians, paladins and rangers. IMO, all "warrior-type" classes should get the same number of attacks.
* I don't like the new super feats. I'd rather go back to 1 feat = 1 ability score point, like a few packets ago.
* Not getting a feat at 1st level.
* The "apprentice tier", i.e. characters get no subclass until level 3.
* The multi-classing rules.
* Damage on a miss mechanics.
* Armor that gets just plain better with gp cost, rather than having pros and cons to each type of armor.
* Magic item bonuses have no stacking prohibition or limits, leaving the door open to game-breaking AC scores, among other things.

[Edit] How could I forget the human +1 to everything? Yuck. Hate it.

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don't like that so many personal preferences are baked into class.
EDIT- I feel Next has been designed as the team's preffered version of D&D and adjusted if surveys say the playtesters hate something. Merals has been pushing an "I hit for damage" fighter since the beginning. They are okay with "you don't need a cleric but you should take one". The blasty wizard is pushed. The stabby rogue is pushed. The smashy barbarian is pushed. Monks can't use weapons well at all. No one but monks can throw a punch. They have no idea what to do with rangers.

I don't like how the abilities are uneven in usage due to personal preference (Dex the super stat, no Con skill, No Int saves).

Last edited:

gweinel

Explorer
Two major things:
1) Healing - Resting: As it is (the last playtest) and as always was it is very generous to my liking.

2) Not supporting full vancian system. I really don't like the spamable dmg spells.

Yora

Legend
Humans get +1 to all ability scores. Since humans are the definition of average, that means all races get -1 at everything, except the stat they are really good at, at which they are just average.

This annoys me so very very much, that I don't even feel like really reading the rest of the rules in depth.

Martial Expertise Dice and Skill Dice, or whatever they call them are also terrible.

Sadras

Legend
* The "apprentice tier", i.e. characters get no subclass until level 3
Apologies for derailing the thread a little, but I'm just interested why you do not like the "apprentice tier" ? Would you prefer to have the "apprentice tier" fall between level 0 and level 1?

Raith5

Adventurer
Hit dice as the new healing surges. Old HD and 4e Healing Surges should never have made a baby with each other, and it shows. Their child, new HD, is ugly.

Great quote - totally agree from what I have seen.

Many 4th isms I like could still make an appearance once the new edition gets the basics down. I thought more of a deal would have been made about Warlords - given their popularity with those who stuck fast with 4th ed.

I still have a nagging sense that I am not sure how (or more to the point they dont know how) Epic style play is going to work.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Humans get +1 to all ability scores. Since humans are the definition of average, that means all races get -1 at everything, except the stat they are really good at, at which they are just average.

This annoys me so very very much, that I don't even feel like really reading the rest of the rules in depth.

I have the same feeling.
I think when they decided to have no ability penalties on races and make feats optional, they got stuck. Humans couldn't be the "average" race with no feats as default. And bounded accuaracy made giving them +2 to one abilty too strong.

Blackbrrd

First Post
I think I should preface this by saying that overall I really like DnDN. But, there are some things I don't like about it.
* Imbalance between the abilities: Dex is the god stat; Str, Int and Cha saves are few and far between; archers, monks and finesse weapon users can totally ignore strength as a stat and not really care, etc.
* HP scaling: 1st level hp are too low, and characters gain HP way too fast from levels, far outpacing the rate at which characters improve in damage, especially spells. All to resurrect a sacred cow that 4e rightly made into hamburger.
* Hit dice as the new healing surges. Old HD and 4e Healing Surges should never have made a baby with each other, and it shows. Their child, new HD, is ugly.
I really agree with these points. Especially the HP Scaling comment. Something more similar to 4e would actually be good in my opinion. I would actually like "capping" at around 10hd as in earlier editions, where the fighter got 1d10+con mod for level 1-9 and 3hp per level after that.

Abilities are hard to get right, so that they are having problems making them balanced isn't something I will be annoyed at, but getting it better would be really nice.

Remove ads