• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What are you looking for in Psionics (mechanic structure)

What mechanic structure would you like for Psionics?

• Use spell slots (to keep things simple)

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Use a point-system (such as ki or sorcery)

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Use individual powers you select (similar to eldritch invocation selection)

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Use feats and psi-feats for more powers

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Use specific powers and a new mechanic (such as the psi-die)

• Other (please explain)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
With all the recent revival of Psionic threads, I was curious just what people are most interested in.

I will be making additional polls during the day. I am interested in how Psionics can be represented in the following areas:

1. Should it be a class with unique subclasses or not a core class but with subclasses under core classes or both or neither?

2. Should it use spell slots (caster-based), ki or sorcery points (monk or sorcerer), invocation powers (warlock), feats, or something unique (psi-die, etc.)? (this poll)

3. Should it be another form of magic (so it can be dispelled and countered) or non-magical?

Thanks to all who contribute. If you have another aspect you want polled, please let me know or if you do it yourself I'll link it here.

Last edited:

Perun

Mushroom
I voted 'other', because I'd prefer point-based system like the optional spellpoint rule in DMG. Sorcery points and Ki are a neat idea, but the character only gets a few of them... however, now that I think of it, a ki-like aporoach and a short-rest based class might be interesting .

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Other

Points and slots and PTD in one class.
Like the Psionic Sorcerer but it's own spell list with exclusive spells.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Psionic ability trees with at-will powers gated by exhaustion. Moderately streamed choice of abilities and a non-points non-spell slot mechanic that still allows for more uses and scale based on level.

I personally would like a power points system. Psions have a pool of power points for which they can use to manifest any of their powers. Some powers are more draining than others.

Horwath

Legend
1. Psi power pool

2. power levels from 0 to 10.
Level 0 are cantrip-like power that can be also augmented.
10th level powers are available at 19th level.

3. Augmentation of all powers with more psi points.

4. Recharge of psi points on both short and long rest.
Long rest: recharge all psi points,
Short rest: recharge 1/4 of max psi points(min 1) up to a maximum of 1/2 max psi points(round down).

5. No verbal, somatic or material components(no cheap ones).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads