• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What are your (up to 3) favorite character races? - Wizards Survey Duplication

What are your (up to 3) favorite character races? - Wizards Survey Duplication

• Aarakocra

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Aasimar

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Bugbear

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Centaur

• Changeling

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • Dhampir

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Dragonborn

Votes: 21 9.9%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 63 29.7%
  • Elf

Votes: 67 31.6%
  • Fairy

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Firbolg

• Genasi

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Gith

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Gnome

Votes: 32 15.1%
  • Goblin

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • Goliath

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 51 24.1%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 17 8.0%
  • Halfling

Votes: 27 12.7%
  • Harengon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hexblood

• Hobgoblin

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Human

Votes: 105 49.5%
  • Kalashtar

• Kenku

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Kobold

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Lizardfolk

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • Minotaur

• Orc

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Reborn

• Satyr

• Shifter

• Tabaxi

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 24 11.3%
  • Tortle

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Triton

• Warforged

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Yuan-Ti

Scribe

Legend
In a week (its a 7 day poll I think) I'm going to post a follow up if we get enough results. I'm curious about why Half Elf has so many votes already. :)

Yaarel

He-Mage
Many races I like and play, but have mixed feelings about some of its official uses.

I love the psionic vibe of the kalashtar but am less enthusiastic about the character being possessed by an alien spirit. Maybe there was a clearer way to play each person separately, I would be more into it.

I love the statuesque ideal of the Awsimar, but hate the gods that often plague their concept.

The dwarf isnt magical enough, or tall enough, from my cultural perspective.

Yuan-ti is cool. Are they no longer Evil?

Hmmm. I like warforged. Good concept and appropriate mechanics. Not sure why I dont think of them more often. Living golems, artificial life. It works well.

The many species of anthropomorphic animals are not my thing. However, I love the werewolf, and would prefer the shifter to be able to become an actual wolf (even if using the normal character stats) as an alternate form.

Hobgoblin has potential, but needs to be Fey and with a sense of humor.

Goliath has potential, but I would probably want more animistic magic and less bland brute.

Dragonborn needs a serpentine tail to feel draconic, but otherwise is solid.

Not into darker edgier devils and demons.

Undead species are genuinely creepy and unwhole.

Fairy is ok, but I worry about full-on flight being too powerful. While I totally agree with the Small size (= human children) because Shakespeare, I might like the fairy better if it could also become Medium (adult height) or Tiny at will.

Anyway, I want more and better tools to customize a playable species concept. Tashas custom lineage feels like a hesitant start.

J-H

Hero
I voted human/warforged/Aasimar. I think that's what I put on the WOTC survey. If not, the 3rd one was halfling, strictly for the luck feature that lets me say "no" to DMs who use critical failure tables.

This shows how overcrowded with species options 5e is... and why DMs should limit choices for a campaign to a subset of the total # of PC options.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
31 playable creature types is IMO about 25 too many. Most of those 25 were once seen as monsters, and worked better that way.
Strong disagree here. The more playable races the better, for me. They're just fun!

That said, I think 31 are too many for a single campaign setting. A DM and the players should work together to figure out which races are right for the story and setting they want to play in.

I find I usually wind up only using 6 - 8 races in my campaigns.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
They’re from Eberron. Psionic humans merged with spirits of the Astral plane.
they would be cooler if they were not just humans+

I can't even remember what I picked as my own mind forgets full of such things kinda like kenku you could make them so much better if they patched them up a bit and made proper tengu as the things they are derived from as it would give them an exact goal, make great monks as well.

Remove ads