• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What are your (up to 3) favorite character races? - Wizards Survey Duplication

What are your (up to 3) favorite character races? - Wizards Survey Duplication

• Aarakocra

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Aasimar

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Bugbear

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Centaur

• Changeling

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • Dhampir

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Dragonborn

Votes: 21 9.9%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 63 29.7%
  • Elf

Votes: 67 31.6%
  • Fairy

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Firbolg

• Genasi

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Gith

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Gnome

Votes: 32 15.1%
  • Goblin

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • Goliath

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 51 24.1%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 17 8.0%
  • Halfling

Votes: 27 12.7%
  • Harengon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hexblood

• Hobgoblin

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Human

Votes: 105 49.5%
  • Kalashtar

• Kenku

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Kobold

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Lizardfolk

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • Minotaur

• Orc

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Reborn

• Satyr

• Shifter

• Tabaxi

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 24 11.3%
  • Tortle

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Triton

• Warforged

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Yuan-Ti

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
In campaigns that have many species, it is easy to "soft ban" a species. Keep it "in a land far far away" in the exotic periphery. A player who really wants to can play one, but the campaign is pretty much without it.

Gnome because they are the little ugly duckling of the core PC races, the Tyrion Lannister, rejected by the rest, but too typecasted into rogue or illusory magic.

Warforged are right to roleplay characters with autistitc traits or have to learn social skills.

Aasimars, the swarn treated like the little ugly duckling, honourable but forgorten by fault of the tielfling popularity. Sometimes labeles as "wolves with sheep's clothings".

Girths. I like the psionics and they are monster on the face, but smart, sophisticated, disciplined and honourable.

I liked the blue (psionic gobling subrace) years before Grogu/Little Yoda was so popular.

I can understand the great potential of the changelings for the plots thanks the shapesifter skills.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I voted for Dragonborn, Kenku and Yuan-Ti.

Though I’m also partial to Kobolds, Lizardfolk, Tieflings, Tortles, and Warforged.

Honorable mentions go to Thri-Kreen and Gnolls who aren’t on this list but I have personally enjoyed playing as these races in the past.

The classic ones: Human, Dwarf, Elf (no Half-Elves needed - just commit to being an Elf).
Sorry Mr. Hobbit ... ehm ... Halfing, you nearly made it - better luck next time!

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Strong disagree here. The more playable races the better, for me. They're just fun!

That said, I think 31 are too many for a single campaign setting. A DM and the players should work together to figure out which races are right for the story and setting they want to play in.

I find I usually wind up only using 6 - 8 races in my campaigns.
I definitely think 31 different racial cultures in a single setting is way too many. I generally combine similar races into one larger group, with different racial features just being different types within the larger culture. Like dragonborn and lizardfolk are part of a larger "reptile" culture, or tabaxi and leonin.

Or I simply downplay racial cultures entirely and focus on other social divisions; in my Ravnica game, for example, guild was much more important than race.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I definitely think 31 different racial cultures in a single setting is way too many. I generally combine similar races into one larger group, with different racial features just being different types within the larger culture. Like dragonborn and lizardfolk are part of a larger "reptile" culture, or tabaxi and leonin.

Or I simply downplay racial cultures entirely and focus on other social divisions; in my Ravnica game, for example, guild was much more important than race.
Yeah, that's how I like to do it too. I create cultures or groups that might have many different races within them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads