D&D 5E What bonus spells should Divine Soul, Shadow, Storm, Draconic, and Wild Magic Sorcerers get?

Divine Soul
1st - Bless, Healing Word
2nd - Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon
3rd - Daylight, Spirit Guardians
4th - Death Ward, Guardian of Faith
5th - Dawn (X), Holy Weapon (X)

Shadow
1st - False Life, Silent Image
2nd - Blindness/Deafness, Darkness
3rd - Fear, Vampiric Touch
4th - Evard's Black Tentacles, Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound
5th - Danse macabre (X), Negative Energy Flood (X)

Storm
1st - Fog Cloud, Thunderwave
2nd - Gust of Wind, Misty Step
3rd - Fly, Lightning Bolt
4th - Hallucinatory Terrain, Ice Storm
5th - Cloudkill, Control Winds (X)

Draconic
1st - Burning Hands, Mage Armor
2nd - Darkvision, Enlarge/Reduce
3rd - Fear, Fly
4th - Polymorph, Stoneskin
5th - Scrying, Seeming

Wild Magic
1st - Dissonant Whispers, Nystul's Magic Aura
2nd - Detect Thoughts, Suggestion
3rd - Major Image, Nondetection
4th - Fabricate, Confusion
5th - Contact Other Plane, Seeming

Your forgetting the 1 bonus spell Divine Souls and Shadow Sorcerer already get.

Since the 1 bonus spell Divine Souls already get is tied at least at first to the alignment of the Divinity from whom they are related to, I think it would be cool if deity alignment each had its own list, like mini Cleric Domains.

Not if you consider Wizards to be the most powerful class, they aren’t. (Bards and Clerics are both more powerful, and arguably Druids depending on subclass).

Getting some bonus spells just…doesn’t add that much power to a class. It mostly makes them more fun and less frustrating to play.

I find Treatmonk’s analysis fairly…biased toward a certain perspective on how the game is played, but yeah, Sorcerers of those subclasses are…maybe toward the bottom of the top third of classes?

The bonus spells are the least reason for the Tasha’s Sorcerers being more powerful than the PHB Sorcerer Origins, but even taken as a whole they aren’t outside the normal power band of the PHB.
Agreed. In my Eberron game I gave the Artificers two bonus cantrips each to flesh out their subclasses. One was Mending, the other was an attack spell from the PHB that was specific to their Subclass. No one felt that it broke the game. In fact, no one even felt it made them more powerful. However, they all felt that it gave them variety in their character creation. As Artificers exist now, they have so few spells (like Sorcerers) that you're barely able to meet your basic themes let alone have some variety to customize your character. I see that as a design flaw.

There is a little clip of the BG3 Sorcerer class in the coming the next update and depending on which Draconic Bloodline you choose, there is a different 1st level bonus spell.

Could this be a preview for the PHB 5.5e Sorcerer? I think it could also make it more likely the Divine Soul Sorcerer will have different spell lists based on their ancestral deities alignment as I guessed.

For something like this, I am not too worried about the PHB spell list, since 5.5 may have more spells in the 5.5 PHB.

Divine:
1st level: Divine Favor, Shield of Faith
2nd: Find Steed, Spiritual Weapon
3rd: Spirit Guardians, Remove Curse
4th: Guardian of Faith, Find Greater Steed
5th: Contact Other Plane, Hallow

Shadow:
1st level: Arms of Hadar, Dissonant Whispers
2nd: Nystul's Magic Aura, Ray of Enfeeblement
3rd: Feign Death, Hunger of Hadar
4th: Evard's Black Tentacles, Shadow of Moil
5th: Negative Energy Flood, Passwall

Dragon:
1st level: Cause Fear, Command
2nd: Enthrall, Pass without Trace
3rd: Bestow Curse, Elemental weapon
4th: Conjure Minor Elementals, Elemental Bane
5th: Conjure Elemental, Geas

Wild Magic:
1st level: Hex, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
2nd: Nystul's Magic Aura, Spike Growth
3rd: Magic Circle, Tiny Servant
4th: Hallucinatory Terrain, Conjure Woodland Beings
5th: Awaken, Wall of Force

Scribe

Legend
There is a little clip of the BG3 Sorcerer class in the coming the next update and depending on which Draconic Bloodline you choose, there is a different 1st level bonus spell.

Could this be a preview for the PHB 5.5e Sorcerer? I think it could also make it more likely the Divine Soul Sorcerer will have different spell lists based on their ancestral deities alignment as I guessed.
I wouldn't put money on BG3 being a predictor of anything.

Their CEO openly lamented having to begrudgingly implement 5e casting rules...

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Since the 1 bonus spell Divine Souls already get is tied at least at first to the alignment of the Divinity from whom they are related to, I think it would be cool if deity alignment each had its own list, like mini Cleric Domains.
I like more the idea of giving half the bonus spells known, but these can be chosen and replaced at-will. The subclass represents both celestial-born and demi-gods, and not only those of good deities.

Remove ads