• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What can you Counter?

Valus

First Post
"You attempt to interrupt a creature in the process of casting a spell." It has to be a spell, so a breath weapon is definitely out, as would any other monster ability that doesn't reference a spell description.

Scorpio616

First Post
I think you can only counter a spell. No breath weapons or "spell-like abilities" as far as I can tell.

Innate Spells on the most part should be counterable. This edition innate spells generally require all the components of the given spell so they can be recognized and countered however the DM normally handle such.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure Psionics can't be countered as there is no casting components for them. No words, gestures or materials.

Psionics...A monster that has this tag typically doesn't require any components to cast its spells.

Last edited:

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I only allow counterspell to work against spells being seen to be cast. It is a really powerful defensive tool. Allowing it also counter breath weapons, spell traps, even innate spells I think, would be too much/be bad for game balance overall.

I only allow counterspell to work against spells being seen to be cast. It is a really powerful defensive tool. Allowing it also counter breath weapons, spell traps, even innate spells I think, would be too much/be bad for game balance overall.

That's RAW actually. You cannot Counterspell a creature's spell unless you can see the creature. Greater Invisibility and Darkness both trump Counterspell.

Remove ads