D&D 5E What classes should be restricted?

What are the reasons why you would not want a class in your game?

• The class doesn't fit the game world setting

Votes: 112 77.8%
  • The class doesn't fit with what I think D&D is

Votes: 29 20.1%
  • There isn't enough of a historical precedence for it

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Too weird for me

Votes: 40 27.8%
  • Creates in game issues (balance, etc)

Votes: 84 58.3%
  • Introduces too much class bloat

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • The theme is counter to a heroic RPG (e.g. a class that is primarily an "evil" class)

Votes: 46 31.9%
  • It's a 3PP class, not an official one

Votes: 56 38.9%
  • other (please explain)

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Bonus option: I don't want to see it in the official game

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Bonus option: I don't care what others play, I just don't want them in my game

Votes: 42 29.2%
  • Bonus option 2: No class should be restricted in any of my games

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • Bonus option 2: No class should be restricted in any official game

Votes: 12 8.3%

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
For the standard settings I don't ban stuff official WotC stuff, although I'm not going to auto-include UA content. I voted for 3PP and balance stuff, which is essentially the same answer. I don't care if it's 3PP unless it looks OP, at which point I'll probably nix it.

All the above said, if I were running my own homebrew setting that was, say, low magic, or Steam Punk, or whatever, I'd have no problem restricting access to classes from any source to what I thought fit my setting.

I don't allow 3PP or UA at our table, only officially published classes. Although, I suppose I'd also ban a class for not fitting with the setting, but I haven't done so yet.

ccs

41st lv DM
INAFD.jpg

I don't give a kobolds crap what your opinion of the Warlord (or 4e) is.
I don't like it, & as I'm the DM it has no place in any game I run. Not even in a hypothetical 4e game.

dave2008

Legend
The core four classes get a free pass. Any class that's redundant with one of those will not be added.

For example, I would never add druid to the game, since nature cleric already exists. I would never add sorcerer to the game, since wizard already exists.
So in your games you ban rangers, paladins, monks, warlocks, barbarians, etc.? That's interesting. If i was designing my own game I would keep it to 2 or 3 classes max, but in D&D I allow pretty much anything that fits my setting.

Sacrosanct

Legend
So in your games you ban rangers, paladins, monks, warlocks, barbarians, etc.? That's interesting. If i was designing my own game I would keep it to 2 or 3 classes max, but in D&D I allow pretty much anything that fits my setting.

Can’t speak for Saelorn, but in my ideal DnD I would. I’d have classes be restricted to core with fewer but more impactful attributes, and have a bunch of subclasses to fit those archetypes with more subclass features than what’s there currently

dave2008

Legend
I don't ban them. I just don't take the pro-active step of adding them. (Except for the monk, which occupies a unique conceptual niche from the other classes.)

I'm the DM. It's my world. Nothing exists until I say it does.
They are in the book and you don't allow them. That seems like the definition of banning to me. I have no issue with you doing so, I was just verifying you were that draconian about it. Of course, what good DM wouldn't want to a draconian! ;)

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
This feels like it's going to get ineffable mighty quick. My two cents - not allowing classes from the core book is effectively the same as banning them. Semantics aren't the important part here I don't think.

Remove ads